• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SHINDEN PANZER KNOCKER Mech Suit

panzerace007

Hey Guys,

I thought I would venture a little out of My comfort zone. I've entered this over on Scale Model Addict in Their Big Spring Contest. It's a kit from Bandai 1/35th scale Shinden Warrior , Whom I've dubbed - The Panzer Knocker . I decided to go with a Tiger Stripe Camo scheme .... with a Twist .. I'll do it in German WWII Tri-Tone colors.

Let's take a look .......

rvtsjb%7E0.jpeg

Vintage_Vietnam__Era_Tigerstripe_Jungle_Fatigues%7E0.gif

This is what I'll derive My inspiration from. Vietnam era Tiger Stripe !!

Shinden_front___center%7E0.JPG

Shinden_port_side.JPG

Shinden_rear.JPG

As you can see there were a TON of seams to fill. All ran length wise with th suit. Nothing a little Mr.Dissolved Putty & Mr. Surfacer can't fix. The Kit barrel for the M.G. was replaced with an 20mm R.B. Barrel.
picture%7E0.jpeg

Here is a product shot from R.B.'s site. The camera was acting funny that day & I couldn't get a good clear shot of the barrel.

DSC08044%7E0.JPG

DSC08045.JPG

DSC08047.JPG

DSC08046.JPG

DSC08050.JPG

DSC08049.JPG

These are the Shoulder Packs the go between the arms on Mr. Knocker. The one with the pipe coming out of it actually connects a piece of Vinyl hose to the Panzer Faust & In My mind distributes the propellent to the gun.

DSC08053%7E0.JPG

The base color is Tamiya Dark Green & was shot with My Airbrush. The 1st stage camo was Hand panted with Vallejo. TO get th Red Brown I mixed some Leather Brown + Burnt Cad. Red . I put 6 drops of LB to 2 drops of the Burnt Cad. I then added 2 drops of Liquitex's Slow Blending Gel & 2 drops of distilled water. You will notice that the Visor is sporting a rather Shiny coat. It's MOdel Master's Gloss Black + M.M. Chrome. I looked in a couple of LHS for the M.M. Black Chrome color & couldn't find it, so I bought the 2 colors & mixed it My self. The pictures don't show it , but what happened was that the Black seemed to naturally appear on the edges (i.e. outlining the visor & falling on th edges as the visor turns downward up front) I base coated this visor in preparation for the AlClad Transparent Green !!

On to the 2nd. stage of a 3 part process for the Camo. Again this was hand painted with a 10/0 brush & a custom mix of Vallejo - The Dunkel color was mixed by eye so I really don't have th correct proportions. I mixed German Camo Ochre , Model Air Dark Yellow, & German Camo Beige. I compared it to the Tamiya Dark Yellow & it was nearly a dead-on match.

DSC08076.JPG

DSC08082.JPG

DSC08081.JPG

DSC08083.JPG

DSC08084.JPG

DSC08086.JPG

DSC08087.JPG

Here is the M.G. with th replacement barrel. It was painted with Vallejo's Black Primer & dry brushed with Humbrol's Gun Metal. Now this Gun Metal is a tin that I've had around th Panzer Shoppe for at least 16 years ! It's got Monogram at the top with Humbrol in smaller letters under the Monogram. I guess Monogram imported it ? But I'm really surprised that it's stay "fresh" for as long as it has !! I agree with BoB Letterman - Humbrol Rox for Drybrushing !!

DSC08090.JPG

Here is the Panzer Faust. The War Head is painted with Tamiya Dark Green, the body of the Gun painted the same way as the M.G.

DSC08080.JPG

Here is a close-up of the Visor , covered with 4 coats of AlClad's Transparent Green. MIsted on @ 15 psi. I added some Battle scars to the Black-Chrome before I shot th Transparent Green - to Give Holmzz some character !

DSC08079.JPG

I gotta tell ya ... I'm really glad this stage of the painting is done . It took 17 hours to paint th 2nd. stage Camo. 3 hours per leg, 2 hours per arm, 2 hours per shoulder pack, & 3 hours for th Torso. The reason - because I was covering the Green & Red Brown with the Dunkel, it didn't immediately cover in one pass. It took more like 2-3 passes for full coverage. :gogo

Next will be adding the Black Tiger stripes to it... then weather & she's done. !! Thanx for lookin' hopefully I can get th Tiger Stripes done this Week !!

Oh man this is super cool!!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Terry (y)

Hey Guys,

Thanx for th kind words. I also want to add that the Figure is Fully posable !! I understand that this kit came out in th late 90's & this is 1 in a 3 part series that is derived from a Japanese Comic. Both th kits & the Comic are really hard to find these days. I wouldn't mind finding the other 2 kits ,as from th pix on th kit box, They look really cool & all 3 are different !!

With any luck I'll get th Tiger Stripes on by thursday & then I can get down & Dirty with some weathering. Although it's almost a shame to weather it because I'm becoming rather attached to th Camo Scheme ! I won't get to carried away with it. Just enough to give it that Lived In look !!

RANDY & JAMES ,

Thanx for th kind words .... Updates are coming soon ! All I have left for paint are the Tiger Stripes on the Torso & some slight Weathering !! Plus I gotta get'r done by th End of th Month for th Online Contest over on SMA !! Whew ... The Heat is on ....

:drinks - Good thing I gotta Golden Delicious near !!

Mean looking stance the (unarmed - in more ways than one) dude has! Lots of attitude.

Regards,

Here's a short up-date .... I finally have th Tiger Stripes on !! Now .... It's time to do some weathering ! Not too much ... I'd hate to obscure the Scheme ! :D

DSC08114.JPG

I added some MM Chrome & Tamiya Clear Orange to the "Optic sensors" on his chest

DSC08116.JPG

The same goes for the rear " Convoy Lights" & the "Running Lights" on the lower Rear torso. There I used Clear Red & Blue

DSC08121.JPG

DSC08122.JPG

NEWS FLASH * - I used a self-adhesive "lens for the Optics in the Scope of the M.G. They are made by eksucessbrands & come on a clear backing sheet of various sizes. This one is the smallest in th pack. These were stumbled upon by a fellow Armor Modeler, exposed on the Internet last year & Sales at Michael's Craft Store soared :D ! They were only carried as a seasonally item - Halloween - But !! They have a Web Address !! They are Super Cheap & come in a variety of colors - these are the Clear & I hit it with some Tamiya Clear Orange - I'll add some better pix of it !

- http://shop.eksuccessbrands.com/product/Shimmering+Silver+Dot+Stickers.aspx

I'm definitely scarfing some more up. Now ... They are only Concave , so they won't do much good for a Mirror !!
Check it out ! 6 packs or more & They are only $1.35 US !! There are about 90 "shimmering dots" per pack of 8 different sizes ( I'm sorry , I haven't measured them so I can't give you sizes :blush: )

That's all for now .... So , lemme get back to th Panzer Shoppe .... I hear Smedley squawking for some attention !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9qFAL7xgM&feature=related

Now it is armed and dangerous! I may n ot be into Sci-Fi unless there is a sharkmouth but that is nice! So... why NOT paint a sharkmouth on it?
::p

Regards,

NEWS FLASH * - I used a self-adhesive "lens for the Optics in the Scope of the M.G. They are made by eksucessbrands & come on a clear backing sheet of various sizes. This one is the smallest in th pack. These were stumbled upon by a fellow Armor Modeler, exposed on the Internet last year & Sales at Michael's Craft Store soared :D ! They were only carried as a seasonally item - Halloween - But !! They have a Web Address !! They are Super Cheap & come in a variety of colors - these are the Clear & I hit it with some Tamiya Clear Orange - I'll add some better pix of it !

- http://shop.eksuccessbrands.com/product/Shimmering+Silver+Dot+Stickers.aspx

Hey Erik,

Since we are 'sharing' tips, here is one for making your own rear view mirrors:

Click on the image to show you some paper sheets that you cut out and make your own self-adhesive mirrors.

Regards,

SHARK,

I bet with a round punch you can get it Right on th Dot !!! Awesome !! Is that Mylar paper ?? I'll go look for it !! '

Thanx for sharing !!

ERIK

Hey DAVE,

Thanx for th kind words ..... Hours .... with a capitol H !! Not to toot My own horn .. But it took 44 hours to Hand paint th Camo. That also included the time it took to Shoot th Tamiya Dark Green for the base & to do th work on th Visor !

Red Brown - this took about 12 hours

The Dunkelgelb - 17 hours - it took that long b/c the Yellow was a lil' tough to get coverage over the Green & Red Brown

The Black - 14 hours !!! at times coverage was a problem b/c I had th paint mixed a lil' too thin ......

Whew !! Now , I've started to weather & wash !!

I'm loving this - excellent paint work and I know what you mean about not doing too much weathering so as not to obscure all you hard work. Nice one B)

Back