• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scammell Pioneer FINISHED

Nailed it.gif

Long way to go yet, the truck needs lights and mirrors and detail , there is a large basket to go where the fuel tank is on the other side for tow cables or whatever you want to carry and there is probably more parts in the trailer than the truck :)
also need to rig the winch on the truck, i just hope i shouldn't have done that before i got this far. This is turning out to be my favourite build ever and thats something from a guy thats has always built aircraft :)

Nice work, Paddy. To one with US heavy truck design sensibilities it looks somewhat like a haphazard collection of parts, but with a purpose.

I think that was because it was a general chassis and engine with various cabs so the artillery tractor didn't have the crew cab and the tow truck/recovery truck were sometimes just 2 axel and so on

I have been messing about with a figure this week, its my second proper attempt and its better than my first so thats always a good thing, hopefully the third will be better than my second :)
I have a real problem getting a Mat finish still, nothing works from Humbrol Mat coat to Mig lucky Ultra Mat so obviously the problem is with me rather than the product. I do have success with Tamiya rattle can mat coat but only for the first 1/4 of the can, after that it goes semi gloss...
At the moment i am thinking this could be humidity as high humidity is always a problem living on an island ...

DSC_3579.JPG

DSC_3575.JPG

I have searched most of the paint sets available here and no one seems to do a North African set for British uniforms. Of course i can mix but the advantage of a set is being able to repeat colours over time without the mix and match process.

I have been messing about with a figure this week, its my second proper attempt and its better than my first so thats always a good thing, hopefully the third will be better than my second :)
I have a real problem getting a Mat finish still, nothing works from Humbrol Mat coat to Mig lucky Ultra Mat so obviously the problem is with me rather than the product. I do have success with Tamiya rattle can mat coat but only for the first 1/4 of the can, after that it goes semi gloss...
At the moment i am thinking this could be humidity as high humidity is always a problem living on an island ...

View attachment 148618

View attachment 148623

I have searched most of the paint sets available here and no one seems to do a North African set for British uniforms. Of course i can mix but the advantage of a set is being able to repeat colours over time without the mix and match process.
Miniart does 2 sets of British desert schemed soldiers. I'm sure they could be made to fit with little extra work. Problem is finding them.
1648561211372.png

1648561273551.png

James

Its not the figures James, its the correct colours. you can buy paint sets for Northern Europe and even Africa corps but nothing English N Africa.

5ee0c56af36e365d6168b495bd211eaf.jpg7de1cab27992e3605e4e5739210c1168.jpg

Remember the photo that Bob's (Moon Puppy) dad took of two Korean G.I.s in different color uniforms? I am sure that the uniforms of the British in North Africa were of the same kind of thing. I doubt that they were all the same color or condition. They were "similar" but with sun, heat, sweat, and other things they were all slightly different so don't worry about the colors matching as long as they are similar.

Also as the uniforms look to be kahki, why would they have different uniforms for North Africa. Probably they just wore abbreviated shirts and shorts where possible.

The trailer is large

DSC_3584.JPG

this section is 11" long and there are more parts to add to its length
In reality it was a steel frame supporting a floor of timer slats , probably railway sleepers.
The model supplies these in various sections with moulded in detail. TBH i would rather they were just smooth and i could add my own texture detail. My options are to sand these parts ( there are 8 of them all between 1" and 2.5" ) and then give a wood effect with oils as we have all done in the past with WnW models........or.... i wonder if i could remake these with Balsa...

DSC_3590.JPG

I am open to ideas on the best way to go ? oils would probably nearer to a scale finish and the easiest. Maybe i will have a practice with both methods and see if any problems crop up.

I think oils look best, but for something like this Basswood would also be a really good idea. Bals wood would do in a pinch, but bass wood or thin plywood would be best I think. Oh and the flames of war paints are like vallejo.

James

This is the first layer of oils. Looks like a terrible set of dining room furniture from the 1970's :), needs weathering, some sand and a very flat coat as i imagine wood in the desert goes bone dry. Just wish i could solve my Mat coat problems...

DSC_3607.JPG

To give scale the peice at the bottom is about 3" long

I had another look at my figure. this is resin and i am thinking about washing it off and starting again, its not a waste as i have learned lots. The Mat coat now is slightly improved by drying it over the cooker :) so it could be a cold/humidity thing.

Things could get worse as fuel prices here have rocketed up nearly 100% in 3 months..... in fact everything is rocketing. My weekly shop hit £100.00 today for the first time, a month ago its was £60.00.

Could be mat coating in the snow outside soon :)

DSC_3598.JPG

By the way, if i am posting too much just say and i will just do a weekly or 2 weekly update. :)

Will your much younger looking Wallace bet getting a scale Gromit to go with him? Did the Wensleydale Creamery ship to North Africa in those days? :bm:

It is with great sadness i announce the death of major Tomkinson ST john Smyth who's legs and head fell off while taking a bath in acetone :-(

DSC_3609.JPG

unfortunately the doctor says this is terminal as he has gone soft....

On a brighter not the balsa is winning the planks/decking competition..

DSC_3610.JPG

The balsa is much more the look i am after with sun bleached planks, i have lightly sanded the edges of each plank so it has definition.

some oil stains and sand pigment should do the job.

Back