• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scammell Pioneer FINISHED

That colour on the tractor may be closer to Portland Stone BS.64 it is described as "pale cream with a greenish tinge". Mike Starmer's mix for it is 1 x XF57 + 6 x XF2 + 1 x XF3. It was in use into 1941 as a base colour in the middle east.

The Light Stone mix should be 7 x XF2 + 2 x XF59 + 2 x XF3.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich
i have been using the light stone mix in the pictures, its not a problem its just miles away from the light stone mixes in bottles from MIG etc.
I suspect the Scammell in the picture a few posts back is the modern desert colour which is more of a pastel colour. (less yellow)

anyway it is what it is now and I'm not changing it :)

DSC_3527.JPG

I got the back of the can on by widening the gap a bit so the bit that protrudes out in the middle fits through

and to my surprise although only balanced, the whole lot fits on the Chassis very well. I can see that getting the Chassis spot on in the first place is the key to this build and its not easy.

so far so good. TBH if it all fell together perfectly i probably would have got bored with this ages ago but i do love a challenge and i'm really enjoying this. whenever i put it down i cant wait to get going again.
I have been thinking about a base. the reason being with a truck, trailer and tank + figures i think it needs fixing together. Problem is the largest off the shelf wood base on e-bay is 400mm and i think this will need 500mm or 18 inch

DSC_3528.JPG
DSC_3529_01.JPG

Looks really awesome Paddy! I really like the wooden floor you did it looks just right with wear through the base finish and then dust dirt ground in to it.

Question about the passenger seat on the left. It looks to me as if the frame is angled down to the front. I am curious about that because that would be a pain to just sit on as it would tend to make anyone slide off instead of staying planted. It could be just how it looks in the photos, but made me go :hmm: , so I thought I would ask.

Do you know what Paul, that is a mistake but not in the way you think. The drivers seat should be angled down and i got the legs reversed on the passenger and drivers seat. I didn't notice they were different till i had stuck them and it was too late to correct as they are too fragile to "unglue" . The instructions dont call them out as being different and the pictures dont show it...The only reason i think i have them reversed is i looked at someone else's completed build.
Once they whole lot is buttoned up it wont show :)

that said....its bugging me now so i will have another look :Look :)

Here were are Paul, just for you :) I dont want you worrying about the little men being uncomfortable

DSC_3530.JPG

I have a very slight back slope on the passenger side and a slight forward slope on the driver side which i think is correct. Just had to make some new legs/frames.

It does look better Paddy, but you didn't need to do anything for me, though I do pick up on things like that as it looked a little odd. Once you see it though, it can't be unseen and as you said tends to cause a bother till it is fixed.
Looks great! Can't tell you did any rework.
3D-Thumbs up Lg.gif

Its important that these things are pointed out Paul, thats part of the reason we post stuff i think, putting things right is all part of any build.
I used 0.5mm plastistruct rod to make new legs for the seat but its much softer that the moulded plastic used in the kit so its a bit more fragile but all it has to do is look correct :cool:

Today i fitted the Cab to the Chassis.
I had to cut a small amount off the top of the starter motor to get the cab down onto the chassis where it fouled the cab where the engine fits under it, a part that will never be seen again. The sides of the cab (less doors) fit perfectly and this is another area that needs to be spot on if you want the Cab roof to fit later :)
DSC_3535.JPG

DSC_3534.JPG

As a bit of a novice on armour i notice other people tend to assemble then paint but i find it a bit easier to paint parts as i go as everything is Olive drab, then coated with chipping fluid then the light stone top coat. I can see it would be a lot less work to do it the other way but i think i might struggle especially with access to some parts. this is the first time i have tried chipping fluid and i think in future i could be bit more targeted with specific areas.
thanks for looking :)

The roof fits on to 7 separate parts and i have learned now you have to be precise with the positioning of each part or you WILL get a creeping error. That said its not a fault with the kit in fact if you are very carful and precise, the fit of parts is very rewarding. Basically if it doesnt go right, dont blame the kit :) the makers have it spot on but it does need a bit of thought and dry fitting. Its not an easy build but it pays you back in spades :)

DSC_3549.JPG

One potential pitfall that i did miss was the front fenders are different so one can clear the air filter cylinder. Luckily there were 2 ways to fit them and i got it right by accident . Still a long way to go but at least its starting to look like a truck :)

I am going to leave the doors open on this side, i still have half an idea to mount this with some figures. Engine covers were also often ditched in the Desert for obvious reasons
Looking at original pictures some seem to have a spade mounted between the doors. I wouldn't want to try and dig this out of a sand drift :)
I will leave general washes and detailing until i can do the trailer at the same time so it ties in.

DSC_3550.JPG

Sten guns and waters cans? No self respecting English soldier goes anywhere in the desert without his trusty .303 Enfield!
Another really nice build of a not-easy-to-build model! Bravo! :salute::drunks: :drink

Back