• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scammell Pioneer FINISHED

A really great display! The balance is just right. :ro:
One thing though, I would put some flat coat on the second figure with the long pants as the side of his pants and his jacket elbows are shining.

Watch the finger prints on the sides of that 3" part. Love the wood grain, nailin' it!

View attachment 150386

Overall an excellent build Paddy! I really like the fact that while there is a lot of scratches and paint chips, it isn't all rusty. In many cases I believe the added rust on builds is over done. In the desert environment there would virtually no rust except on exhaust pipes and even then it would be more burned paint than rust. My old VW's had grey primered mufflers on them that ran quite hot and were at the back of the vehicle. While they would have a little rust around the seams and such, it would take YEARS of driving with winter salt and such to make the kind of rust that is shown on many vehicle builds.

View attachment 150391

One of the best ways to remove paint and rust is sandblasting :cool:
Its a difficult one because i see these paints in a high intensity sun and sandy ,windy climate as being almost just a temporary finish.
That said people like to add artistic licence to models with rust and thick panel lines which TBH once reduced by 35 times in scale would more than likely not even be visible. Deserts can be damp and cold at night so who knows ?
I tend to look at a finished model through a camera lens ie: does it look realistic ? Others want it to be seen on a stand on a judging table. the difference is one is viewed under magnification and one isn't so i suppose people finish accordingly.
Loads of tanks in Ukraine on the news everyday here in England and you never see rusty exhausts or panels. :)

A really great display! The balance is just right. :ro:
One thing though, I would put some flat coat on the second figure with the long pants as the side of his pants and his jacket elbows are shining.

I know exactly what you mean and i took more pictures with that guy in and didnt post them because of this issue.
I can get a good matt finish on the lorry because its Tamiya paint but the guy is MIG Ammo and i cant get their paint to dry matt, not even with a coat of their Ultra Matt.

I know exactly what you mean and i took more pictures with that guy in and didnt post them because of this issue.
I can get a good matt finish on the lorry because its Tamiya paint but the guy is MIG Ammo and i cant get their paint to dry matt, not even with a coat of their Ultra Matt.
Vallejio acrylic matt varnish works well for me. Maybe try multiple layers of that?

Some of its down to lighting and photography because he doesnt actually look so bad in real life

DSC_3619.JPG

I also have found handling the figure, even a little seems to turn the mat gloss, maybe i have oily hands :)

I love that cut down truck behind the trailer , thats what i call raising the roof :) a lot of the others look captured German ?
All Brit from what I can see. I'm not really up on British stuff but the cut down truck looks like a Matador GS to me. Then some Fords and WOTs. Maybe some Bedfords.
JAmes

Back