• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scammell Pioneer FINISHED

I would suggest a light tack maybe with CA until you get it for sure. I have done that before by using minimal amounts to tack parts together. Then when it needs to come apart, a slight tweak and it pops right apart. Yeah the assembly is delicate, but then once it is all good, take some super thin CA and feed it into the joins to make it solid.

OK so it looks like the Main spars twists once glue is applied as they are temporarily softened by the glue . By putting a block under each side of the crossmember it beefs up the whole section and doesnt allow it to twist like this

DSC_3491.JPG

The loop on the back of the steering assembly is supplied in 2 parts and i dont think they are symmetrical so double check this as it throws the rear mount off centre. Also make sure the button that fits too the back is central, you may have to slot it over .0.5mm

DSC_3493.JPG

DSC_3497.JPG

Finally check the front pivot point on the front axel is central, mine is over 0.5mm out ( its the hole at the bottom of this picture) I didn't move this but i did move the bit that fits in this hole to compensate

DSC_3492.JPG

You can centre most of the cross bars, for example if its 1mm out just shave .5mm off one side and pack out the other side by .5mm
With care you will end up with everything centred and symmetrical like this

DSC_3499.JPG

DSC_3503.JPG

I can now proceed. The gear box still doesnt fit but thats a fault with box itself and not an alignment problem to do with the above

Sorry this is a bit boring but it may help someone else building one of these :)

As Bob said, not boring! It is this kind of info on a build that can make a difference. Being able to see and correct these issues is what makes an adequate modeler into an expert.

3D-Great Job.gif

Sorry this is a bit boring but it may help someone else building one of these :)
@paddy, DEFINITLEY not boring to whoever spends the small fortune to buy this kit. I have seen too many malign Thunder Models, and their Irish inspiration Mirror Models (plastic branch of LZ Models), because of alignment and extremely close tolerances.

Regards and thanks,

I find these threads more interesting than fall together kit builds. There is no better place to learn new construction/correction techniques and ideas.

Saul told me not to fall down the hole and i fell down the hole anyway :)
Guess how I knew about that problem? Mirror Models' kits! Thankfully, this one has FAR less etch than the Irish kits. Easy to trim plastic to fit, not so much with precision PE. Even Libor Zachoval (the 'LZ' in LZ Models and Mirror Models' owner) tripped himself more than once during his builds.

Regards,

I suppose the point is however many faults these kits have they do give us a chance to build subjects that other producers dont touch. Its a shame because its a fine line between very good and rather average.

I'm ok with it now Saul, it is not an easy build but you do feel you are getting something for the effort, the detail level is pretty good and its quite satisfying to be winning :)

By way of a change i decided to to do a bit on the cab

DSC_3517.JPG

you can see its quite large from the paint pot

DSC_3523.JPG

However i now find that its impossible to attach the back of the cab now, the instruction sequence is wrong and it should have been attached to the floor before the rear set assembly was fitted. Without trying to unstick the whole thing i will have to cut the rear panel, fit then re-join and fill. Picture also shows some filling of ejection pin holes underway as well :)

Previous evidence suggests you'll keep at it until a stunning model is achieved. Next up: Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire? :Drinks:

Also i found this which is what we are aiming for :)

59dcafd4aa192_Normandy2004013.jpg.f5444cbb0470e73e4bcfaa2db68e37a4.jpg

I am beginning to think the mix i was given for light stone is completely wrong ? i now have a bottle of Mig ammo light stone and its very much as above.. the mix i was given of white x2 yellow x2 and desert yellow x7 seems way too yellow ( XF2 XF3 XF59 )

Last edited:
Back