• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kinetic Israeli F-16I "Sufa" (Storm) Finished

So, I was delayed starting the topside camo because of the '65 GTO build. I have parts drying so I thought it a good time to start on the camo. I mixed the FS33531 using Tamiya XF56 Buff and XF2 white, then thinned 50/50 with Mr Color leveling thinner. Using the provided blueprint I followed as closely as I could freehand with the airbrush.
1000005614.jpg
1000005615.jpg

Using my UHU Museum putty I masked off to paint the brown. Once that dried I masked the brown and painted the green. For the green I used Vallejo Model Air Green Zinc Chromate #71.094 since it looked closest to the photos and paintings I saw. The color is SF34424, but I did not find a Tamiya mixing conversion formula and I was out of Val 71.321, and this looked close on the bottle. It is a little intense. Also, it is very transparent. I will get the right color and repaint the green areas.
1000005617.jpg
1000005618.jpg

I used Tamiya cockpit green IJN XF-71 to tone the green down. The previous green made a wonderful base and I like the results here. I think I will take the rest of Sunday off and do something else for a while. 😇

Well, I "think the painting portion of the program is finished. Next will be sealing then weathering. There are some flaws but overall I am happy, except for one little booboo I JUST saw on the rear left stabilizer (horizontal part of the tail?🤔)
1000005627.jpg

You can see the GTO has its first coat of white in the background.
1000005628.jpg
1000005629.jpg
1000005630.jpg

And this is just a cool photo using the flash to show off the Vallejo Game Air color "magic blue" in the ...turbine (?)
1000005633.jpg

As you guys may remember, decals are my Achilles heel. I swear, they hate me. I finally got it done. I removed some that started to flake off. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I use a glossy finish and I use Micro Set and am very patient and some still delaminate or tear on me as I apply them. I taped off and painted a few of the straight line decals that delaminated, and hand painted some sections of the bird graphics on the tail. Ugh! I sprayed three coats of gloss finish to try and level out the edges, sanding with a fine sanding stick along the edges between coats. The edges are "mostly" unnoticeable now. Moving on...

Despite all of that, I have started the weathering process. Before I started I remade the little splines sticking out from the wings, tail, and stabilizers. No matter how careful I was during the build I ended up breaking off every single one. I remade new ones with stryrene rod and piano wire. I shouldn't have wasted my time because I have broken off 5 of 15 already and have only weathered the bottom. I reapplied three before giving up and will wait until the final final step.

1000005647.jpg

For the weathering I am using oils. I mixed raw umber and raw sienna 50/50 for a more desert-like color, and am using paynes grey instead of ivory black for a more bluish "black"

I stumbled on Paynes Grey a while back and was amazed how it behaved.
I wonder if it's the decals themselves or maybe humidity? Perhaps setup a decaling station down in the bomb shelter? :rotf

Tip top job Greg, i really like this :) if its any consolation i broke off all the spiny bits on the wings of my SU27, replaced them with piano wire then broke half of them again........

Back