• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Porsche 935 1:12

I missed the part of your commentary about the gloss coat over different lusters of paint Paddy. In all the paint work that I've done on autos, gloss coats over different lusters produces a uniform gloss effect. The key is to mist the gloss coat on first in layers to give a good and even foundation for the wet coats that come shortly after. Then, after the coats have "gassed out", you're off to the wet sanding and polishing processes. The grits you listed off are perfect for achieving a glass like surface.

My problem is i tend to move about the board here as i try and find a genre i like so not easy to keep track of :)... i did WWII aircraft for a long time, then got a bit hung up on Wing nut wings and then armour with odd motorcycle thrown in and now a go at cars.
I think i am now pretty set on 1/6 or 1/9 bikes or 1/12 cars because its a scale that allows wiring and nut and bolt detail and even some metal replacement parts which i made for the Bentley. i got more fun out of scratch building the throttle linkage on that than building the rest of the stock engine. I know if i built this Porsche again i could do 10x better having now found all the problems and the correct order of assembly etc. and that really drives me to have another go at cars.

England is heading into a recession, prices are rocketing and work for me is dropping right off, things are slowing down dramatically and Winter is coming ( in the words of Jon snow). Model building, while expensive is still cheap entertainment per hour. while the Porsche cost £100 GBP i bet i will have spent at least 50+ hours on it so really at £2.00GBP an hour thats cheaper than watching Netflix or even having a can of beer :)
I fancy an F1 car in 1/12 but they are even more expensive and again mostly 1970's. still available direct from Japan but not really stocked in England anymore so shipping and tax has to be added.

I've floated around over the years between aircraft, military vehicles and autos. I like all three, but my true interest seems to be autos. I really need to make it back to another aircraft build but I have an armor model in the stash that interests me very much. Like you, Paddy, I love detail a lot so I get a chance to practice on that with military vehicles and aircraft.

Cant say i am sorry to see the back of this one ....its just too big. I couldn't even find anywhere decent to take some pictures. it wouldn't even fit in my light box :)

DSC_4031.JPG

DSC_4033.JPG

DSC_4034.JPG

DSC_4039.JPG

DSC_4046.JPG

DSC_4048.JPG

DSC_4049.JPG

DSC_4050.JPG

DSC_4051.JPG

DSC_4066.JPG

i think it look better that the Martini version, it goes together with absolutely no problems.........but its just too big, its bigger than my airfix Bentley, its difficult to handle and i have no idea what i am going to do with it now....

I think in this scale i will stick to vintage cars like the Bentley, most are smaller in real life that lot of modern cars.

thanks for following this, i hope its entertained a few :cool:

Last edited:
Stunning Porsche! :tens: After the Bentley Blower I expected nothing less. Most Excellent job! My impressed!

So if the engine is in the back is it still the boot or the bonnet? :hmm:

Great job Paddy, paint job came out superb and the fit of the panels are spot on. Well done Mate! :notworthy

I hear you on sizing of any selected model Paddy. It's the one reason I don't build 4 engined bombers or big rigs. I've just got no where to display stuff like that......at least for the time being.

As for the quality of your build here: A very well built and painted up example of a great subject. Parts of this seem to fight you a bit but you kept at it to produce a great end result.

Back