• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pfalz IIIa

You stay home sick and yet manage to get modeling done too?! :hmmm

It looks great so far James and that scheme will be killer!

Thanks all. And I came home at lunch. What little I did was between power snoozing. Must of agreed with me :)
James

So a bit more done. Got her buttoned up and lower wing attached. I did something wrong somewhere and have a couple of small gaps. So filled with putty. Will sand down when dry. Have to check installation of engine panels as I'm not sure how they fit in. It looks like lap joint sitting on top of nacelle. But pics and drawings dont really look that way. So more research. Getting close to the point where I'll start painting her.

DSC02431.JPG

DSC02432.JPG

DSC02433.JPG

DSC02434.JPG

DSC02435.JPG

Comments and critiques welcome.

James

B) :snoopy
really nice cockpit James. I can't wait to see more. I have this one as well and it's probably my favorite ww1 aircraft.
Can you give me any info on the green interior?
Was the wood painted in a typical green or is it a special color?

Ian.

Hi Ian. For my Roland I made a mix of colours for the green. It looks greener than RLM 02 but greyer than interior green. For the Pfalz I used the Tamiya paint called for in the instructions. In the bottle it looks very lite almost pea green, but once it drys it takes on the right shade and looks pretty close to my home mix. I use the term right shade loosely. I mixed mine while looking at some old aircraft pictures where equipment was removed and that shade of green grey was my goal. Almost everything was painted green in this aircraft inside and out. I used the Radub seat belts as they are excellent and hang nicely. I am using Master Models Barrels for the guns. I tried installing the instrument panel early in construction, but its best to wait till you build the gun tray and the support. You'll love this old girl. A real treat to build.
James

Okay got more glueing done. Figured out the engine panels. Mixed a silver grey as per the recipe in the instructions. I used a simple method to do this. Took a pill jar and measuring from the bottom put a tick at the 1cm line, and another at the 3cm line. Filled grey up to the first tick and silver to the second. Mixed well then poured into an Andrea dropper bottle. Labled and voila. Filled the dropper bottle.

Painted bottom of fuselage and had some spotting. Will have to repaint later. Unfortunately while cleaning my brush the tip departed the area for parts unknown. Will keep searching, but may have to buy a new tip. Not too happy about that.

paint.jpg

James

The tip. It popped off somewhere. Crawled twice looking. Now i'm paying for it, knees are crying. Ordered the parts and hope withing a few weeks to see them.
James

damn for the airbrush! Crossing fingers the parts will arrive soon.

your bird looks good

Worked on the prop a bit. Its very subtle. This time I used vallejo old wood and new wood. Next time I'll go back to redbrown for the darker shade. Then a layer of burnt umber almost completely wiped off, then burnt sienna.

DSC02443.JPG

DSC02442.JPG

James

Dang James I have tried and tried and tried to achieve that effect and I still don't have it. That's looks great. (y)

Just use a light colour. I used to use German yellow. Then a darker colour in bands. I used to use red brown. When dry I take some burnt sienna oil paint and put on card board que card to leach the oil. Then paint the prop in sienna. Clean brush and keep brushing inside to tip removing more and more oil paint. In the end it should just die the blade. The brush strokes give it some texture. Try painting on some plastic like the sprue or inside of a wing. I wont say its easy, but sometimes it just clicks and thats when you do the prop. Hope that helps some.
James

Back