• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

No Sharkmouth on this Hasegawa 32nd scale Ki-84 Hayate

Since this was a review sample (reviewed on another site) sent by Dragon Models USA (a company that no longer exists) back in 2011, I need to find an alternate way to get a replacement part. Luckily, one of the new distributors for Hasegawa is an old contact. Maybe he can help or point me in the right direction. I also posted on Hasegawa's Japanese site.

Last alternative, if not found, is to simply turn one from balsa and coat with CA. Haven't done that old school technique in at least four decades!

Hmmm... what am I up to?
1679108321882.png

1679109706609.png

It seems masochistic when the subject isn't really part of one's main collection (i.e. sharkmouth schemes). Simply testing what I can do.

Give me some dimensions and I can turn one in clear acrylic Saul. Easy job and I have the lathe and tools for it.
@Heavens Eagle, thanks for the offer! I have a Unimat lathe that I hope is still working (I don't think I turned it on in a decade) so want to try that with balsa to create a blank for vacuum-forming a replacement. For now, I simply work on other things while I wait for a response from Hasegawa.

If neither pans out, I will reach out!

The red octagon is a hole underneath the pilot's seat (visible in some photos) through which the rest of the control cables feed through to the rear of the aircraft:

1709137284938.png

Regards,
You can make out the opening at the bottom. The sole surviving aircraft is now off limits at the Peace Memorial for a restoration and has been meticulously 3D scanned for measurements (Is Tamiya funding this?):

By the way, I'm testing if Google Photos would work as a photo dump to spare our server. Pleas try it and let me know if this works.
!GHbJ3d0a8AAsEdt.jpg

Back