• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

No Sharkmouth on this Hasegawa 32nd scale Ki-84 Hayate

Shhhhh! Don't say that too loud as I was told the same thing. lol. Got up early this morning and got started on the finishing bits on my build.
3Rs6bh.gif

Hopefully I can make enough progress to where all I've got left is the canopy paint & install then it'll be the aerial antennas and it'll be all done.

Lookin' good so far here Saul.

Honey-do list?

One positive thing about my heart attack is that all the really heavy stuff fell off the list.

She wants the back fence removed? Ha! Call somebody else!

Bench time... yup I actually get some of that, when I'm not working with the dog or dusting or doing dishes....

Seventeen Plus months.... I can't remember what I was doing yesterday...
...and counting. Pulled out some small scale Airfix Mustangs for the March Miniature Madness 2023 but this called out to me instead so In finally fixed it.

In 2011, I opened these carburetor air intakes but then realized they aimed directly at the radial's cylinders.
Ki8420110640003.JPG

Ki8420110640004.JPG

Ki8420110714002.JPG

Referring to the TM illustrations and the panel line of the scoop, I noted that the intakes should swoop upwards with no roof as the scoop panel top is that...

Number 19 on the cutaway. Source is listed as Air International, January 1976:
1678020708905.png

1678020522446.png
1678020564291.png

Ki8420230305001.JPG

I guess I will need to take more photographs before it makes sense.

I ran into that same issue on the Wildcat years ago. the scoops were represented in the face of the cowling but if you wanted the duct work you'd have to shave the cylinder heads. Guess we need scale thickness cowl panels huh?

I ran into that same issue on the Wildcat years ago. the scoops were represented in the face of the cowling but if you wanted the duct work you'd have to shave the cylinder heads. Guess we need scale thickness cowl panels huh?
The intakes didn't go upwards at all. They should have in order to clear the cylinders. It is the reason for the 'hump' in the cowling.

Saul I have done things like this and they can tend to bite me in the can. You can do it. In 1/72 all you really need to do is thin some things down a little and make it "look" like it goes where it needs to go.

Saul I have done things like this and they can tend to bite me in the can. You can do it. In 1/72 all you really need to do is thin some things down a little and make it "look" like it goes where it needs to go.
Being 32nd scale, I need to let people look into these nostrils as well as behind the thinned cowl flaps.
1678050472546.png

The intake now clears the cylinders:
Ki8420230305002.JPG

I also drilled out the seepage holes on the ailerons and added the grommets and seepage holes on the elevators. Hasegawa included the grommets on the ailerons but replicated rivets instead of seepage holes.

This is what I am referring to:
1678079084190.png

Looking great!! I'm building Hasagawa's 1/48th scale kit. What color do you plan to paint it, green, blue or brown? Gary S.

I first read about this white tiger in Revi magazine:
2b5d1f351f54497ea97e4f36104ec117--ki-profiles.jpg

Afterwards, I found these decals in which Lifelike (from Japan) spoke to the pilot and comrade:
1678388425622.png

Arma Hobby, for their Ki-84 release (which includes the markings), has a nice article on the subject. Click profile to read:
70051-profile-6.jpg

Back