• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Nakajima Type 11 Night Fighter....in-progress

Really nice, Les- cheers! I am a bit surprised that a Tammy kit would be such a putty hog. Leave it to you to make it shine!

Thanks to all for the comments!

Chuk,
There is nothing wrong with this Tamiya kit, any putty needed here was most likely my fault. :lol:

Matrixone

...a couple more in-progress pics, more work done on the paint chipping and I think this is as far as I am going to take this right now, maybe after all the markings and flat clear coat are on I might add a tiny bit more.

403589970.jpg

403589971.jpg

The exhaust shrouds have been painted and weathered, also the exhaust stains on the wings have been airbrushed on, new pics should be posted in a day or two.

Matrixone

Dave,
Oh there is mottling on it...you just can't see it too well now! ;) My next model after the Nakajima is finished will be a 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9 built as a Fieseler produced Dora which means there will be plenty of mottling on it.

The photo hosting site that I use is down for a while so I can't post new pics today. The exhaust shrouds and engine nacelles are now on the model and its starting to look better than it was, not much else to do on it now except spray it with Future to get prepped for adding decals. :D

Matrixone

Thanks once again James.

Now that the problems with the photo hosting site are fixed I can show you what the model looks like now...
403607907.jpg

403607962.jpg

Matrixone

James,
For the prop and spinner I used one of my old bottles of Aeromaster enamel Japanese Primer to paint it with.

Christian,
Thanks for noticing the work I did on the exhaust, I spent a little extra time painting this area and like how they look.

Matrixone

Here are some pics showing the markings on the model and some of the weathering I did.

A few photographs of operational Irvings show the unit markings would weather at a higher rate than some of the other paint on the aircraft and thats the weathering effect I was trying to create on the markings on my model.
The tail markings that were painted on the fabric covered rudder would weather and fade in a slightly different way than the markings painted on the metal surfaces. Also I have seen photographs of the tail markings on Irvings that were not painted on with too great of care and actually had a little paint dripping down from the marking and I tried to add a little of that to my model, not sure if it will ever be noticed after the flat clear coat is on the finished model at least I know its there!
The ''meatballs'' were also weathered a bit to blend them in with the rest of the paint job...the weathering on them looks too stark right now but the final clear flat coat will even things out. The meatballs were weathered by airbrushing some light tan colored thinner and then with different shades of red I used a paint brush to add some streaks to make it look like the meatballs had been weathered and were retouched by the groundcrew.
403643553.jpg

403643552.jpg

403643551.jpg

Matrixone

Back