• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Nakajima Type 11 Night Fighter....in-progress

Thanks Paul!

The painting continues...today I covered up much of the paint fading steps I did yesterday, just a hint of the paint fading still shows which is exactly what I was after. I want this airplane to look well used but still airworthy.
403556149.jpg

403556150.jpg

Matrixone

Paint job is coming along great... congrats!!!
This jap planes are lovely to play with the airbrush!

will be following your advances comfortably in my couch !!

:popcorn

Thanks guys!

Pedro,
The only challange to painting a simple overall green paint scheme is to make it visually interesting to look at and this is where the airbrush can be a great help in adding subtle weathering to the paint work to add some interest to an otherwise bland finish. I will be fading the decals too by spraying on some tinted thinner...but this is not something I look forward to because there can be no mistakes or the model could be ruined.

Matrixone

Thanks Ryan!
This model came close to being whiffed....imagine what this aircraft would have looked like with RLM 76 and RLM 75 mottles on it. :hmmm
I decided to build this one as a Japanese flown aircraft but the temptation to try and do a Luftwaffe version was strong.lol

Matrixone

....imagine what this aircraft would have looked like with RLM 76 and RLM 75 mottles on it. :hmmm
I decided to build this one as a Japanese flown aircraft but the temptation to try and do a Luftwaffe version was strong.lol

Matrixone
:rotf :rotf :rotf I am surprised you did not do it Les :rotf

Dave,
My twisted plans were to paint and mark the Nakajima as a Luftwaffe bird and at the same time build and paint a Bf 110G marked as a Japanese flown plane. :eek:hyeah

Matrixone

...and a couple more in-progress pics.

I painted on the black non-skid walkway on the left hand wing root, I wanted the walkway to look worn down to better match the weathering of the rest of the airframe so I first painted it silver and then used unthinned black paint with low PSI to make sure the black paint would spatter as it came out of the airbrush and put on a thin uneven coat, the result was a gritty looking paint texture and really looks like a worn non-slip walkway.
Also I masked and painted the yellow ID markings on the leading edges of the wings, the engine cowls were also weathered and given a thin coat of black paint.
403565324.jpg

403565325.jpg

Matrixone

Thanks Moon Puppy!
The pic of the walkway is rather poor and does not show the texture very well, I was running out of available sunlight late this afternoon when the pic was taken, I will take more pictures later on in the build that will show the detail a little clearer.

Matrixone

The Japanese Me 110 might actualy have existed. I once heard it was one of the german planes they tested.

Dave,
Yes its true the Japanese tested a few German aircraft during the war, the Bf 110 that I was thinking about marking as a Japanese machine was the Bf 110G-4 nightfighter, the Japanese never had the chance to get one of those for testing. :cheer:

Matrixone

Another in-progress pic of some of todays work on the model.
Here is the paint chipping and scuff marks on the left wing root, I am nearly finished with this side and will do a little on the right wing root next. The engine cowls will also get some paint chipping but not very much.
403583767.jpg

I am putting on most of the paint chipping on right now so the flat clear coat will tone it down to where it does not look so bright.

Matrixone

Back