• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Mrs. Bonnie' P-51K

ij001

Hello folks
Hoping somebody here can help with this: I’m planning-on building the Tamiya 1:32 Mustang (and because of the implied ‘cost’ of this kit), I thought it may be a good idea to get some thoughts before I start hacking away at it.

I’m going to build Bill Dunhams’ ‘Mrs. Bonnie’ as it was right at the end of the war in summer 1945. The aircraft is a P-51K-10 it's quite is well known as it was featured in some publicity photos in August or September.

h249c882.JPG

h77854cb.JPG

h83b1984.jpg

As you can see, despite it being a Dallas-built ‘K’ it has the cuffed Hamilton props and spinner – the blade profile and decals give-it-away – also the whole of the spinner is painted red/yellow/blue & black (front to rear). This is fine as the kit I’m using is the initial Tamiya release, 60322 (which also has the ‘Dallas’ canopy in the box too).

Now here’s the part where I need your insight & thoughts – Tamiya in their paint & decal instructions show ‘Mrs Bonnie’ with the ‘correct’ Aeroproducts spinner & blades but also would have you paint the spinner back-plate NMF, the colours being the same but compressed. Has anyone got a photo that confirms the Tamiya instructions – just being curious, I’m one of those folks who likes to have as much info as possible…

ha6470ba.jpg

h325ae8a.JPG

Thanks in advance folks, over to you.

Ian.

Did you see this?

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/variants/p51k

The Aeroproducts propeller was generally not favorable to most crew chiefs and many props were not balanced well. Even so, they did the job at the time. The K model was able to get into the action instead of waiting on the line for more supplies from Hamilton Standard.

The Aeroproducts props are easily identified by the different blade shape. There are no cuffs like the Hamilton Standard. The blade gradually widens towards the center of the length and then is narrower out at the rounded tip. During the war, it was common to find a K model with a Hamilton Standard. In the field, such replacements of props and even engines were done with supplies on hand. Some K model Merlins (-7) were replaced with the older -3 version. Supplies on hand. With a Hamilton Standard prop on a K model, you would not be able to tell the difference between that K model and the D unless you read the placard.

I know the Hamilton Standard was hydraulic, was the Aeroproduct also?

Maybe the original Aeroproduct was replace they had to replace the back plate to fit the HS. Just guessin' really.

Can't really help but it looks like it will be a great build!

How can they tell that the anti glare panel was an olive colour and the stripes on the fuse were black? They look the same to me from the black and white pics!

How can they tell that the anti glare panel was an olive colour and the stripes on the fuse were black? They look the same to me from the black and white pics!

Invasion stripes (on the wings and fuselage) were black and white. The anti glare paint on the top of the nose was either Olive Drab or I think it could be flat black depending on what paint they had available. In the center photo with the bare chested guy and the print across the center, the black around the spinner and prop blades is quite dark. The anti glare panel isn't that dark. It has some grayish look to it.

As to the spinner and the propeller blades, three little words,

Believe The Photo!

The 'Philippines' stripes were all black so not a prob as the model will be primed in black when the time comes !! - I hadn't picked-up on the glare panel being a little lighter, may be because it's applied straight over the factory OD ??

Ian.

Aeroproducts props were mainly used until replacement Hamiltons became available. The cuffless chisel types came along towards the end of the war so actually any prop is good here so flip a coin. I had this kit and I really like the option of all the different canopies.

This will be a good one, Ian.

Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback.

Got the kids at-home for another week (Spring break), so this will hit the bench on the second week in October, so a nice'n easy spring/summer project !!.
:pilot

AFN

Ian.

Back