• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mixing oil paints and enamels together

Ozzie Jo

While I have been painting figures for some time I have painted almost entirely with acrylics and a small amount of oils. As a consequence I have no familiarity with enamels ... other than painting the woodwork on my house.

Can anyone fill me in on how oils and enamels behave when used together? If I understand correctly the enamels will have a shorter drying time than the oils but are there compatability issues or can I slather them both on as I wish?

I don't think you can mix different mediums like this. But give it a whirl and let us know? I can't get some Acrylics to mix right.

My understanding is that the solvent/thinner used with oils will damage the enamels, so an acrylic barrier ( like future) is needed to prevent that from happening.

I think Ozzie Jo was talking about mixing oils and enamels, not layering the different mediums.

Jo,

I'd say try it on a small piece of plastic card. It's been some years since I've used enamels, and can't quite remember if I ever mixed enamels and oils.

You can however paint oil over enamel just as you can oil over acrylic.

Of course, it's worth commenting that due to enamels slower drying speed most, if not all, the traditional oil painting techniques are easily transposed to enamels as well (whereas some cannot be easily reproduced in acrylic).

Rudi

I do it all the time, mixing a little artist oils with enamels, extends the drying time when dry brushing, and I've never had a problem.

I've also mixed a little enamels with my oils to speed up the drying time again with no problems, when painting a figure with oils, and again I've never had a problem.

Just make sure you are using real traditional artist oils, not those new fangled water base things passing for oils.

The idea is to mix a little of one into the other, not slather it on.

I've used enamels with oil paints all the time.
Mainly in drybrush application on figures.

Use very small amounts of oil paint with the enamel paint.

If you use too much it becomes one big mess and there is no control on the brush.

You get great results if you mix on glass,plastic card,or a smooth surface.

Cheers
Michael

:unsure: Well I do not even own any enamels :unsure:

BUT
Bob Letterman says he drybrushes his guns with a mix of Metalcote humbrol paint and Raw sienna B) .

As I said I have not tried it but if Bob reccomends it I would take it to the bank ! (The only reason is I cannot get the right paint to try it yet :pp

Jenny :kiss:

I mix oils and enamel all the time never that a problem do make sure not to use the new water oil paint I was given a tube did not know that it was the new stuff what a mess
greetings

Yes, Humbrols or any other enamels and oils do mix and they are great for drybrushing as Bob L and the others have stated

I think Uncle Francois Verlinden stood by that too if I remember that rightly

Happy New year to you by the way

Andy

Thank you very much for the replies folks. I ask as I wish to use a Humbrol paint with the W&N oils I normally use for a face and don't wish to stuff it up. I'll try it out on an unimportant part to get the hang of how the paints act together first.

I was tempted to buy the Artisan paints for the faster drying time and I am glad that I didn't after reading these replies.

Hi Ozzie Jo,

Good choice. Humbrol paints are a good median to work with.

W&N last forever.
Still using the original tubes I started with way back....when mmmm 1992-93
Following the Uncle Verlinden way .

Cheers
Michael

Back