• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Wow, I've been so busy I don't know how I got this work done, but here it is, my latest progress from the past couple weeks. All of this is armor again; as well as one car. I'm just trying to get a few things off the bench and on the shelf. I'm getting eager to get back to my Antonov; but I need to clear a few things first.

Before I get to them though, here is something I found while I was cleaning the bench up. This was a raffle prize I got that had three Monroe Perdue bases inside for 1/72 scale models. Here they are after priming and painting the black border on them:

full

I won't be displaying my M-1070 or eight-wheeled Russian trucks on any of those, but they will be nice photo bases for my more regular armor.

The first model I worked on was the WWI MkI female tank. I finally completed all construction sans tracks:

full

Later, after stretching the tracks a bit, I installed them on this tank:

full

That little thing is now ready for paint. Easy peasy.

After finding my clear sheets of plastic, I went ahead and added the windows to my Japanese Isuzu fuel truck:

full

I had also added the windows to the Olympia staff car. I didn't get a pic of that one though.

Next I added the inside wheels to my Nagmashot APC:

full

Later I finished off the upper construction of the detail parts and add-on armor:

full

There was a lot of detail on this model to add:

full

I also decided to work on my M-41 Walker Bulldog. I assembled the .50 cal machine gun ammo box. There are five pieces in this tiny assembly:

full

After that I completed the turret and then added the torsion bars and other suspension parts:

full

There is a ton of photo-etch that has to go on this. That's gonna be interesting....

After this, I decided that since I was so close to finishing the AT-1 Snapper, it was time to put it over the finish line. First, I added the rubber tires to the wheel hubs:

full

That meant I needed to add the hubs to the axles to mount these wheels:

full

While they were drying, I added the Snapper missiles to the launch rails:

full

You can see the wheels in the background waiting to be installed.

When the hubs were dry, I added the re-loads to the interior. I only put in two since I'd lost the last one (found later, three days after I'd finished the model!) Here you can also see some of the additional detail parts I added:

full

Wheels on and touch up paint done:

full

Then I added the launch rails:

full

Finally a dullcoat, the roof doors and the start of some dusting:

full

That puppy was finished after a little more work.

Finally after while, I had some time to get to my spray booth. Despite issues with my airbrushes again, I managed to get some paint shot. First was Ole' Bill, the Type B bus inducted into the Army. I gave it an olive drab coat:

full

Since I was doing buses, I changed to red and shot the other civilian Type B bus:

full

That is a Humbrol red on that bus. Later, this needed some additional paint work so I went on, painting the lower body and suspension:

full

I need to re-paint the dark brown. It is a gloss color going over a gloss color. For now I set this aside to dry. Since I also still had the red available, I pulled out my too-orange Coke Delivery Van and shot it with the red:

full

Definitely a rough job that will need to be smoothed out. Someday that will start behaving and I can finish it. Until then, I'll just have to keep on working on other models. as I do this.

That's all I have for now. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Well it's been awhile, and with so many demands on my time as well as other distractions; I'm surprised that I got this much done.

This will be in two posts as there are quite a lot of pics to post!

I'll start with my aircraft again.

One of the aircraft I wanted to work on was a quick and easy one that I haven't ever had added to my collection before. This is the Hasegawa Japanese Val dive bomber that I'd started a bit before. It is almost a shelf queen, so it was time to try and move this forward.

I installed the bare cockpit inside the fuselage and closed it up. I then test fit the fuselage to the wings while keeping the back end clamped:

full

No worries about painting the interior. The top cover for the cockpit comes off:

full

Since I need to find out what color to paint that interior, I left this alone. Moving on, it was time to fix the A-400 Grizzly. Remember the big bumpy new nose I added with 2-part epoxy putty?

full

It was time to sand that down and try to shape it. After trying to manually sand that hard chunk of epoxy and getting nowhere, it was time to pull out the Dremel and add a sanding drum to it. Several minutes later, I had this:

full

From different angles, I can see the shape is off in places so this is going to take some time. I also noticed a few additional pockmarks and indentations I need to re-fill and sand some more:

full

Of course, in the process of doing this, some of the main landing gear wheels and the nose gear broke off. Fortunately, they should be fairly easy fixes:

full

full

Moving forward on something else, I added my first decal to the Antonov to see how Modelsvit decals work. I was pleasantly surprised that they went on quite well and are pretty robust for handling:

full

Don't worry about the wrinkles on the back. Solvaset took care of those and these decals handled the stuff well. Still, this was another one-step-forward-two-steps-backward situation: as I was adding the decals to the remaining engine nacelles, two of them decided to bake a break for it... literally:

full

Thank you JB Weld....

Anyway, at least I know how these decals work out. Now to find the instruction sheet and get more decals applied.

A friend then called and while we were chatting I did some "mindless" sanding on my Coke Delivery Van to knock down the roughness of the red paint. Some bare plastic started poking through, so this will get another possible coat of paint soon:

full

Just for fun I also pulled out a 1/35th Tamiya motorcycle a friend sent me that I was planning to add to my 1/35th scale Patton tank base. It was a pretty fun, if fiddly little beastie to build:

full

There is one piece missing from the engine area. It wasn't on the sprue so unless I find it, I'll be leaving it off. It is hardly noticeable.

After this, I also worked on my civilian British Type B Omnibus. After I removed the window masking and glued on the top level; I installed the rear stairwell leading to the upstairs level:

full

full

After that I finally added a lot of the additional detail parts that I expected would fall off if I'd added them earlier. In this pic, one has tilted out of position but I fixed that already. However, when it came time to add the starting crank, it broke into three pieces just trying to remove it from the two attachment points on the sprue...with a brand new Exacto blade! I even tried to remove the one from the OIe' Bill kit and the same thing happened. So, I had to scratch build a crank from a 1/72 scale pickaxe that came in the kit:

full

Later I found one crank that was in two pieces and glued them together to install on this bus in place of that poor scratchbuilt one. I do still have that scratchbuilt one just in case....

Speaking of Ole' Bill, I did manage to get his wheels on:

full

Later I glued the top deck on this one after removing the masking inside and then added the staircase too. You can see that here in this pic of Ole' Bill sitting next to the civilian bus after the rear staircases had been added:

full

Later Ole' Bill got the rest of the detail parts added along with another starting crank made from bent stretched sprue:

full

I get those parts painted and it'll be decal time....

After all this, I also added the final detail parts to the Japanese fuel truck. After painting them, I could just weather this and call it done:

full

Okay, that is all for this portion, the next post will show all my latest progress on the armor.

Continued from Part One above...

Now it was time to move forward on some of these other vehicles that have been needing camouflage patterns painted.

The first one was the M109A2 Paladin, followed by the -A6 Paladin. I hand painted the pattern on this one and the -A6 one since I was too burnt out on using Silly Putty after adding it to all my British vehicles. I just wanted easy...

the -A2:

full

the -A6:

full

After that, I added the Silly Putty to the Chieftains and the FV-432. Then I shot the second color on each. Once dry, I peeled off the Silly Putty to get my final results:

Chieftain Mk.5:

full

full

full

Chieftain Mk.10:

full

full

full

Chieftain Mk.11:

full

And since I didn't get a pic of this shot with the second color with Silly Putty still on, here it is with the Silly Putty already peeled off after painting the second color:

full

Finally the British FV-432. First Silly Puttied, then painted, then peeled:

full

full

full

While I was using Silly Putty and painting, I figured out a way to use the Silly Putty to hold the skirts in place on my Nagmashot so I could paint them at the same time as I paint my vehicle. I should have done this with the Chieftains too...

You can see it peeking out under the skirts:

full

Then I shot the basecoat of Green Drab:

full

Afterward I added the Israeli Sand Grey:

full

I tried to go a bit light in places as I wanted to have some preshading come through a bit.

While that set aside to dry, I started another Israeli vehicle, the Centurion Shot Meteor. First, I noticed the heavy sink marks on the main gun and added the Mr. Surfacer 500 to fill them in:

full

While that was drying, I assembled the lower and upper hull, adding the start of the suspension on this:

full

Next I did a basic turret assembly:

full

Well, it's trying to look like a tank:

full

That does look like something that could be found rusting away in an abandoned tank factory.

Okay, that is all I have for now. Hopefully the next update will have some completed models to show.

Stay tuned, more to come.

Last edited:
Planes, where are the planes... give us some aircraft, Mark!

Cheers

Alex
You know Mark, he does about 10 armor to one plane. Patience Alex. :bigrin:

The Antonov is looking good Mark! Your little British transporters are looking sweet as well. As usual you are the Building Baron!

Thanks Bob! Will do sir! :salute::soldier

Alex my friend, check the top of the post again: I gave you three planes: the Val, the Grizzly and the Ruslan. :vgood: Two of them are quite big too!

Thanks Paul! I'm just trying to keep up with everyone else here. LOL! :frantic: I'm hoping the buses will be done fairly soon.

Is all this 1/72 scale Mark? Really like the 109. In my second role in the military I worked as a mechanic in FA where I worked on, got to drive a 109.....and fire a 155mm shell. MAN that was awesome.

What an outcome in this factory lane, the new tanks do look nice but so do the old busses

Is all this 1/72 scale Mark? Really like the 109. In my second role in the military I worked as a mechanic in FA where I worked on, got to drive a 109.....and fire a 155mm shell. MAN that was awesome.

With the exception of the 1929 Coke Delivery Van, yes, these are all in 1/72 scale. That must have been quite an extreme rush to fire that big gun! I'll be driving one was a thrill too!

Thank you Martin! Soon I'll have them on my shelf.

LOL! Thanks Kenny! I've always said that about you! :vgood: :Drinks:

Another couple weeks and some more progress done.

Sorry Alex, no planes this time.

Here is my latest progress for this past week and a half or so. I'll start with my Big Tank, the 1/35th scale M-48A3 Patton. Someone told me that Testor's Military Brown was a close enough approximation for the red clay in Vietnam. Since he served there, I took his word for it and finally shot this beast with the Military Brown in order to simulate a dusted tank. It's kind of hard to tell in a couple of these pics:

full

full

full

Now for the small stuff.

As you remember, here is where I was with the Chieftains:

full

First I added the tracks and sprockets to all of them. It was a bit of a fight too! Note to self: next time do not cement the upper hull to the lower one until the tracks and sprockets are installed.

Here's the Mk.5:

full

...and the Mk.10:

full

I did the Mk.10 first and then realized the top run of tracks would not be seen once the skirts were on. Hence, the missing top runs on the Mk.5. I also did not get pics of the tracks on the Mk.11

It was time to add the skirts to my Chieftains: I only got pics of the Mk.10 and Mk.11:

full

You'll notice I also had decals on that one and the Mk.11 which is here:

full

I also noticed that Takom did us a bit of a favor having two strips of clear plastic adhesive on each side of the P/E fret. I only removed one side so when it came time to remove the skirt pieces, all I had to do was slip a tweezer under the part and slowly and carefully peel it off. No chance of the part flying off when disengaging it from the sprue:

full

While those were set aside to dry, I added the tracks and sprockets to the M-109A2 since it still didn't have them:

full

Meanwhile on the M-109A6 Paladin, I painted all the Jerry cans on the turret with Olive Green:

full

On my Israeli vehicles, I added the tracks and skirts to the Nagmashot APC so I could apply decals soon:

full

I also moved forward on my Israeli Centurion Sho't Meteor, adding fenders and stowage boxes on the turret:

full

Then I went to start my Centurion Sho't Kal Alef by cutting out the lower hull floor to assemble the lower hull:

full

I looked for the sides of the lower hull and they were nowhere. I then looked at the instruction sheet and saw why. I am supposed to have this Sprue D in this kit that includes the sides of the hull and the correct engine deck:

full

Instead, I have this Sprue D that does not go with this version of the Centurion Sho't Kal Alef:

full

And no, I did not pull out the Meteor kit by mistake. I already have that hull built using these engine deck pieces and no, the missing sprue D for the Sho't Kal are not in with the Meteor sprues. I simply do not have that sprue in my kit like I'm supposed to. So, the Sho't Kal is on hold for the time being.

Moving on, I added the decals to Ole Bill, and started on the advertisements on the civilian Type B Omnibus. The advertisements for this bus were painted on paper and card stock and I couldn't tell if they were decals or not. Even the number frames for these ads on the instruction sheet were different from the number frames of the actual decals. So, I cut everything out and pasted them one the bus using Gator Grip Glue. I worked at the rear of the bus first as you can see here:

full

That took a couple days so I didn't shoot any more pics of the bus with the rest of them on.

That is about all for this update. It is a bit short but at least I made some progress.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

I really like your big scale stuff Mark, still think you should do more. :soldier

Thanks Bob! With 1590 finished models, I don't know where I'd put any more big scale stuff. It doesn't really fit in my collection since I keep my aircraft and armor all in one scale for consistency's sake. I'm only doing this one for two reasons: it's part of my SoCal AMPS Patton group Build, and the Patton is one of my top three favorite tanks. Thanks again Bob, I'm glad you stopped in.

It's another weekend and time to open the manufacturing plant for another tour to show the latest progress Thanks to Hobby Day, I was able to get a lot done. First things first, let's visit the hanger where I managed to finally sand the nose of the A-400 into something resembling "close enough":

full

The shape is still a bit off, but it seems beyond my capabilities to get right. It can only really be seen from certain angles. Screw it! I'm tired of messing with this thing, especially after all this time. I'm gonna repair the wheels, prime the nose and move on.

I also decided to take someone's advice to mask off and paint the blue stripes going down the side of the An-124. So, I gritted my teeth and started taping; making every effort to make these straight:

full

After that, out came the Sotar 20/20 which I used to lay down the first thin stripe. Getting the point right at the rear was extremely difficult and I doubt I'll be able to make it look good. But the first stripe is down:

full

full

I've been too scared to pull off the tape to see how badly I did. I'm already pretty disheartened by this model already

Before I did that, I re-glued the two broken engines back on the wing:

full

Man, what an ordeal! I'll check the stripes later this week and then try to mask and shoot the bigger one above that one.

Time to check out the tank assembly plant now....

Moving on, I managed to get a bit of extra work done on the 1/35th scale Patton. First, I assembled the searchlight:

full

You can see I did a bit of sanding to try and make that thing look right. Man, that is one extremely fiddly assembly! Installing it on the tank is gonna be even more difficult!

After that I wanted to do something that would make me feel good about this tank. I added the tracks and installed all the final roadwheels:

full

Yeah, I'm actually liking this thing now!

And now for the next project I started for my SoCal AMPS 20-hour build challenge. This is the Russian CLUB M coastal defense missile system, which I got from a fellow AMPS member for my birthday. I was allowed to work on it over the course of the next four hours.

First thing I did, build the transmissions and drive trains, as well as the center differential so that I could assemble the chassis:

full

After that I assembled and added the engine:

full

Next I built the floor of the rear missile compartment. Here it is dry-fit on the chassis. You can see I added the floor of the driver's cab already too:

full

After that, I decided to assemble all the missile launch tubes ahead of time:

full

You can see one needed a little persuasion. After I did those, I saw I had one hour left for this build for the day. Out came the parts for the suspension. I built all the axle assemblies and added them all to the chassis along with the gas tanks:

full

That completed my four hours for that build. But it doesn't complete this tour of the tank assembly facility. More will be shown in the following post after a short trip to the cafeteria for some refreshments...

Stay tuned for part II

Back