• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M3 Lee

1,300 + parts is a whole big bunch of 1/35 Armor model fun!!
You dont need to use them all. I mean I worked on my car once and lots of parts left over when I was done. Noone is going to notice if somethings missing as long as its not a gun or chassis or turret. Those seem to get noticed lol
James

I got the engine built up, I'll have photos tomorrow. Anyone know what the extra manifold is for? There seems to be unused ports on the back of the cylinder heads. I know I haven't missed a step.

I got the engine built up, I'll have photos tomorrow. Anyone know what the extra manifold is for? There seems to be unused ports on the back of the cylinder heads. I know I haven't missed a step.
Photos of what you're referring to as you know I have the manual for the tank, including the engine!

1724542698518.png

There's two sets of exhaust manifolds. I guess it's to put the engine in another tank. The open ports I see must be the empty spark plug openings. This engine could build up really nicely. Let's see how bad I do.

One thing for sure, this ain't no Tamiya! Location pins are mere suggestions. I had to pop the engine mounting beam off and realign it, right now the engine is very dry fit, if not floating fit. I made the engine compartment very dirty, even if it is Sgt Joe Gunn's LulluBelle it's a radial engine that's going to sling oil everywhere. There's a lot of tubing in there that I'd like to highlight with some colors but i"m not sure they would be different colors. Also unsure how much of this will be visible, I've not decided if the engine is going to be visible or not.
20240824_192459.jpg
20240824_192451.jpg

There will be a flat coat applied later, I was told to use whatever clear coat I wanted so I broke out the Alclad clear Base. Man it's rock solid. should be using it for more stuff. Some of this grimy wash needs to be cleaned up but not much I think.

Remember the lost alignment point I talked about during the first parts being snipped? Yeah it might be biting me now. If I remember correctly it was the interior transmission cover mating to the exterior cover, I might be off center by a half a hair. The hull sidewalls are not evenly spaced against the bottom of the front cover. That being said, I'm leaving all that kinda loose right now till I get to the point of the front glacis and make sure I got some wiggle room, then I can seal up my seams or gaps.

Those are air intake tubing. You can see on the sprue how it's sectioned off that they planned on kitting it separately.
I linked the manual where you can see all the early/late options. Take a look and let us know. I simply glanced. ;)

Wait a second, the online manual doesn't show the steps with the manifolds (part Fa9-12)! Time too look at the kit instructions then!

Yep, Early and Mid Production (Parts Fa11 & Fa12):
1724606605083.png

Australian and Late Production (Parts Fa9 & Fa10):
1724606532887.png

Oil may drip from the rocker boxes on the lower cylinders, but the oil may "sling" everywhere. I understand the trend for weathering these days is to overdo it. I advise sublety. Some of us are not capable of such. :lol:

Back