• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Completed January 19, 2021

Bob, we had a bunch of GMC 353's in our well drilling business. I remember the the windshields only opening enough to make a vent at the bottom. I'll have to go looking at pictures, most likely some enterprising GI modified the mechanism. You would be amazed at how much those trucks could carry.View attachment 124060

You're probably right!

I have 20 or so books on the GMC 353, Back in April, 2011, when I built these, (See page one of this thread), then set them aside awaiting figures and detailing, I used the books and the Internet for references on every aspect. However, when I attached the windshields on the hard cabs, it wasn't because I had references. A quick story.

Back in the 1950s when I was in the army, my outfit in France, the 97th Engineers, had two of those left in the motor pool. Back then, there were still many of them left over from the war. The rest had been replaced with the newer M-35s. I never drove either. My job was Battalion artist in S-3. and I was assigned a jeep, (Also of WW II vintage). ! One day a major wanted me to go from our base, (Etain Air Base), to the Verdun Maginot Caserne. I had a jeep but it was in for maintenance. I went to the motor pool to catch a ride and the only vehicle going where I needed to go was one of the old GMCs. On the short trip there, I noticed the windshield had a gap at the bottom which let fresh air inside the cab. I asked the driver about it and he said he could open it wider if I wanted. I assumed that was all the way open! I told him I was fine. Long story short, when I was attaching the windshields to the cabs nine years ago, that popped into my head. I knew that I would spend a huge about of time building, posing and painting figures that would barely be seen after being mounted inside the cabs, so.... I glued them in what I assumed was opened all the way so the figures could be better seen.

If you can verify that, I'd appreciate if you would let me know. I couldn't find a single photo of a hard cab with a windshield open as I built them. That is an easy fix so no big deal at all. I have had several offers from publishers to publish a book on this single diorama. Believe me, I would prefer that to be correct. I've made mistakes like that before and got letters, (today emails) from all over the world! :bang head

Thanks.

Bob!

Last edited:
Looking good Bob, love al the trucks and their variations. I really like the posing on the figures half getting out of the drivers cab.
Posing onthe ambulance truck from the thread before was great as well! Very dynamic!
Keep 'em rolling Buddy(sorry for the pun).

As far as models in long transition - I have a lot of those. I have a BR52 with Voyager sets that is half done from 2006 (Planet Armor days) which I haven't posted here because I don't want to start the post on MA until I know I am going to complete it.

Thanks Ian,

I'm glad you like the posing of the figures. When I thought up this diorama, that was one of the major ideas. To make it all look animated. I got the idea from Lewis Pruneau's Vietnam bus. I tried to get that drama on a diorama this size. It remains to be seen but I feel it worked on the Shermans and the tank riders!

Bob

Not much to add to what has already been said. Love watching this come to life - if the pieces look awesome, how good is the whole composition going to be?

Laurence

Bob, I think it would take a maintenance manual to find an absolute confirmation. I remember a crank on the dash but these memories are from 60 or more years ago. I did find the photo below of a cabover version that used the same upper cab. It shows that the windshields are in left and right sections. On the left windshield you can see a strut below the windshield that determines its position. I think the windshield may be fully open in this photo. I am certain that these windshields leaked like a sieve in the rain once they had a few years on them.

A little more research found this link, which seems to indicate that there were many variations. Two separate windshields, both panes in one frame, hidden hinges, all with crank type regulators, and then external hinges with a clasp type latch and external hinges. We had none of that last type. This link has some photos and a history of the different types of opening windshields. It looks like the mechanism shown in this link would permit the windshield to go open a lot more than the crank but it has to have external hinges above the windshields.

https://oldchevytrucks.com/blog/index.php/2010/02/swing-out-windshield/

The crank I remember in a 41 GMC civilian truck, top center on the dash:
windshieldcrank41gmc.jpg

During 1941-1942 GMC built 316 of AFKX-804 Cab over Engine 4x4 van.
During 1941-1942 GMC built 316 of AFKX-804 Cab over Engine 4x4 van.jpg

41 GMC pickup.jpg

Last edited:
Not much to add to what has already been said. Love watching this come to life - if the pieces look awesome, how good is the whole composition going to be?

Laurence

Thanks my friend,

Let's hope it looks good when it is all put together!

Bob

Bob, I think it would take a maintenance manual to find an absolute confirmation. I remember a crank on the dash but these memories are from 60 or more years ago. I did find the photo below of a cabover version that used the same upper cab. It shows that the windshields are in left and right sections. On the left windshield you can see a strut below the windshield that determines its position. I think the windshield may be fully open in this photo. I am certain that these windshields leaked like a sieve in the rain once they had a few years on them.

During 1941-1942 GMC built 316 of AFKX-804 Cab over Engine 4x4 van.
View attachment 124100

Wow, they were even split!!! Well, I'll still have to keep them at the same maximum angle. To split them now would be simply too much. I will probably raise both sides on one to the same height as this photo and completely close the other.As I said, no big deal. A two minute job at the most!

Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it! I should never rely on memory for the construction. But, I'm sure I will do it agin before this one is finished! Simply too much to remember and keep straight!

BTW, I wish somebody made a kit of that cab over version!

Bob

Bob, I added some more to the post. I think most windshields had a common frame for both panes, and the cabover is an outlier.

Me, too, on the cabover. I have a diecast of a 46 GMC cabover, and we had several of these. No fun at all working on those engines which were the same 270 GMC's When I was about 14 I got stopped in one of them by a highway patrolman because a flap had fallen off. He took one look at me and told me to get my dad to fix the flap when I got home, and then he got in his car and left, much to my relief. Nowdays the kid and the father would probably end up in the hoosegow.

Last edited:
Well Sir, you have went to a lot of time and trouble! Thanks again. I appreciate it!

I read all of it and the links as well. Apparently, all hard top cabs came with internal hinges which were not visible from outside! if the cab had external hinges, they were a field modification and the windshields could be raised as high as level with the cab roof.

It seems, from what I learned, those were commonly modified because the limited partial raising for ventilation was not effective at all compared to the soft cabs which the canvas tops could be removed and the windscreens lowered to lay flat on the hoods. So the drivers had them modified to allow totally open windscreens comparable to the soft top's ability to ventilate. They could then experience ventilation like riding a motorcycle with no windscreen. I'm not sure about today's military vehicles, I have heard that many have air conditioning! But, I remember well sitting in an enclosed vehicle with canvas surrounding you, and the oppressive heat in the summer months. The combat gear didn't help either! Then there was that distinctive odor of all military equipment back then. The combination sucked!

One of the cargo cabs was a GMC from Tamiya. The other was a Studebaker from ICM. Both had external hinges.

Here is a photo of a GMC with external hinges. They are outside the wiper mechanisms on both sides.
unnamed.jpg

Here is another GMC with the same!

46222d2b969e6a969b97738df6a4ac65.jpg

And this is the ICM kit. Look close they are much closer together then the GMCs.

s-l640.jpg

So, I'm not going to change them at all. That G.I. I rode with apparently knew what he was talking about back there 68 years ago! Military hinges on vehicles at that time, usually had those clasp type latches. They are on the soft top GMCs, Dodges and the Willys Jeeps. God knows I've built enough of them!

Just so you know! I really appreciate all the time and effort you have spent. Although nothing will change on the models, in the future, if somebody thinks I made a mistake, I'll have the ammunition to prove otherwise! I bookmarked everything! :)

Thanks again!

Thanks Ian,

I'm glad you like the posing of the figures. When I thought up this diorama, that was one of the major ideas. To make it all look animated. I got the idea from Lewis Pruneau's Vietnam bus. I tried to get that drama on a diorama this size. It remains to be seen but I feel it worked on the Shermans and the tank riders!

Bob
Works just fine Bob!

Back