• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JU 87 B/R

phantom II

Master at Arms
Got to tell you, I have been a little bored on this site lately

sleeping~0.gif

But as I was doing nothing on the yak while I was waiting on material to arrive I just had to keep my fingers busy, so I pulled out this Fujimi Junker and started playing with it.

Anyhow, my time frame shot and the pictures will start tomorrow

ID_shot_016a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

This a Hasegawa kit Chris?

Looks interesting! Will be watching! I need to get back at my builds!

:popcorn

This should be good. :popcorn

Maybe.... :idonno This kit was made by Fujimi back in the 90's and appear to be very nicely molded .
The panel lines are well engraved . Even more consistent than Has or Tamiya .

So far my complaint is that they left out a lot of outer detail items.

Not even sure I can finish this during the campaign but will try to plug at it as I can.

Busy time of the year :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Mike, Gary , Warren , Bob and SADave .

So much participation before I actually posted anything :coolio Must be the bird :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Oh nice you doing the boxtop or surprising us with some weird cammo or something?

HAHAHAHA :rotf Oh Dave, certainly you have known me long enough to know I can't color within the lines . :rotf

It will be a North Africa paint scheme based on some decals I found a year ago . Providing the decals don't disintegrate on me.

That said, there's a lot of uncertainty on which shade of Green/ Beige were used as well as the exact personal markings . Still to be formulated in my head :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

Anyhow, after opening the kit and looking over the parts, I find that Fujimi has done a very nice job of making a very nice clean mold and probably some of the best panel lines ever . They are extremely consistent throughout the kit.

Award_003a.jpg

The shortcoming is that they forgot to add all the little scoops and bumps present on the real airframe .

ju_87_cowl_b_010a.jpg

The real bird looks more like a hippo with warts than a Ferrari to me :coolio

ju_87_cowl_005a.jpg

So, I began on the engine cowl by adding NACA intakes, scoops , fairings, opening gills and adding some fasteners.

By then day one was over :soldier

On day two I worked on getting the prop centered on the cowl .

ju_87_cowl_001a.jpg

I also notice that with the gills opened I needed a rear half for the radiator

ju_87_cowl_002a.jpg

Going back to the outside I realised that the air box was nowhere close to the real thing...

ju_87_cowl_006a.jpg

ju_87_cowl_008a.jpg

So, I set out in search through the excess plastic that resides at my house and came up with this BF 109E intake.

ju_87_cowl_007a.jpg

Some Dremel work and some glue latter, it looked pretty close.

ju_87_cowl_009a~0.jpg

Finally, I had noticed that the kit exhaust were weak on detail, so I rounded up some Quickboost exhaust which I dearly love.

JU_87a.jpg

Here's a sample of the ( 2 ) supplied kit exhaust and the Quickboost which is already primed in black .

ju_87_cowl_004a~0.jpg

On day three , my pigments and washes arrived and I set out to properly dirty up the right one ( in picture ) but it's on a dark back ground, so it's hard to see.

JU_87_exhaust_001a.jpg

Anyhow, both are done now and much to my surprise, they did not fit in the kit slot the way they normally do. :bang head
Chisel in hand, I made them fit !
shoot.gif

That's all for now folks . Cheers, Christian B)

Going back to the outside I realised that the air box was nowhere close to the real thing...

ju_87_cowl_006a.jpg

The air intake is actually semi circular in the opening.

ju87b1_4.jpg

Regards,

Thanks Saul

Before I found your posted picture on MA. I spent between 2-3 hours studying pictures on the internet and could not find any descent pictures of a B model intake :frantic
Finally, going through some ebooks , I ran up on this diagram and literature I cannot comprehend.
Your picture seems to be of an earlier B model , judging by the stub exhaust .The earlier model had a slightly different tail arrangement as well .

I'm going to stick with this diagram as it appears to be an adaptation for a dust desert filter ( I guess )

JU_airbox_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Since the Fujimi Kit has little to no interior , I had decided long ago to add this Aires cockpit which was deigned for the AcademY JU 87G . How different of a fit could it be :idonno

ID_shot_001a.jpg

Well, it was downhill from that point on. Plenty of cutting and grinding was required.

JU_87_surgery_003a.jpg

JU_87_surgery_004a.jpg

close, but a little more is required .

Eventually , a little more was too much and some holes were made though the fuselage :bang head

JU_87_surgery_005.JPG

So, I applied Scotch tape to the outside ...

ju_87_surgery_006_a.jpg

and applied super glue to the inside.

ju_87_surgery_007a.jpg

barely visible but it's fixed and the cockpit can be completely inserted . :)

JU_87_surgery_001a.jpg

Where is a good micro surgeon when you need one ? :idonno

Primmer was applied, followed by a coat of RLM 02

ju_87_cocpit_wash_001a.jpg

That gunner's seat is amazing :blink

I applied some shadow to the parts but left the upper sidewall bear for comparison.

ju_87_cocpit_wash_002a.jpg

Now, I have arrived at the detail paint . Hopefully I can squeeze it in soon.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back