• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Interactive figure painting by Bob and Laura!

Bob, I'm pretty sure you could call Spartanburg and ask them to send your paints over to the Greenville store for you, but it's just about as easy to order from someone like Squadron et al and have it delivered to the door.

Laura, does the primer being black help with shadowing or is there another reason?

Iron Mike wrote:
Laura, does the primer being black help with shadowing or is there another reason?

it's some kind of safety door for preshading! the first coat of oils has to be very thin to avoid streaks! since two sets of shades and lights will be applied later the acrylic basepaint will most probably never be seen again but since one should never say never -> safety door!

and i fancy black! :cheer:

bob - get yer figgies basecoated with whatever you have! you have green acrylics? use them then!

OK got some Grimmy Black and as near as I could get to sand color. I'll have to take pictures tomorrow, Baby it's cold out there!

moon puppy wrote:
OK got some Grimmy Black and as near as I could get to sand color. I'll have to take pictures tomorrow, Baby it's cold out there!

I'll ship you down some of our cold and you ship me yours. I know I know, my magnanimosity knows no bounds :silly:

By the way Sprue Brothers stocks Vallejo if your looking for a supplier on line.
James

I'm watching this with great anticipation.
It's a frigid 50 here in the desert SW today. Just might have to wear a coat to work tonight.
Sorry :blush:

jknaus wrote:
moon puppy wrote:

I'll ship you down some of our cold and you ship me yours. I know I know, my magnanimosity knows no bounds :silly:

By the way Sprue Brothers stocks Vallejo if your looking for a supplier on line.
James

I've eyeballed some of the big sets they carry, just coming off that cash is hard to do.

And you don't ship nothing cold down here mister, unless it's edible...I have admin rights and I ain't scared of using them... :evil:

Oh I see, the "Admin "card. Fine I'll keep my -24C. I just got in 26 bottles of colours I wanted form Military Hobbies. A bit cheaper than a box of colours you may not need all of. Of course I havent got a clue how to use them so thats why I'm back to oils (over acrylic).
James

OK teacher, here's my homework

alpine004_1_20091222_1321197615.jpg

alpine005_2_20091222_2015102507.jpg

agentg wrote:
I'm watching this with great anticipation.
It's a frigid 50 here in the desert SW today. Just might have to wear a coat to work tonight.
Sorry :blush:

There I go being a smart a$$.

Woke up to 65mph wind gusts and a temp in the upper 30's. I AM wearing a coat.

Looking good Mpuppy!

finey! :cheer:

take some of your colors: red, white, yellow and deep ochre

colors_20091223_1002594682.jpg

and mix your flesh color with them on a palette - use only a little amount of red, mainly yellow and white! when you reached the tone you are satisfied with, add some of the ochre!

before you start the mixing think of where the figure will be and in what condidion - summer or winter, desert/pacific or BoB, hungry/desperate or well fed!

you won't need the turpentine now, not in this step!

palette_20091223_1168623770.jpg

fleshcolormix_20091223_1346944246.jpg

apply this color mix to the flesh parts of your figures with a #1 round brush very thin! very thin is the key!

fleshparts1_20091223_2053633985.jpg

fleshparts2_20091223_1054622354.jpg

when done so and after having cleaned up the brush focus on the figures shirts and uniforms! we paint from the inside to outside!

again take your #1 brush and mix your green for the coverall! not too dark, not too light! a tone right in between! we will start to apply shades and lights from there!

bluecolor_20091223_1046192639.jpg

uniformcolor_20091223_1270739957.jpg

simultaneously take a smaller brush (i took a 10/0) and mix the shirt color from white, yellow and ochre!

shirtcolor_20091223_1534855221.jpg

with the smaller brush paint the shirts and try not to overpaint the edges too much - again better apply a thin cover! same with the uniform! take the #1 brush and apply a blob of green that you spread out as thin as possible! you will notice that the streaks from the brush will vanish the thinner the applied paint gets!

uniformfigure_20091223_2081717433.jpg

make sure that the paint reaches all recesses and no spot is left uncovered!

Can't just squeeze out some green? :mpup

OK, but it will likely be after Christmas before I can get this done, I have to go shopping for the Woman who wants nothing for Christmas. :blink

moon puppy wrote:
Can't just squeeze out some green? :mpup

if you have a proper green then go ahead!

moon puppy wrote:
OK, but it will likely be after Christmas before I can get this done, I have to go shopping for the Woman who wants nothing for Christmas. :blink

start whenever you feel prepared but be aware that when you have started you have to continue every day! you need the oils wet for the 'wet in wet' painting! one step per day!

it's not much time anyway - 20-30 minutes for each step!

i'll continue with the further steps in the meantime and will update when you updated!

if she doesn't want a present, get her either a bowling ball with the name "bob" engraved or a nice halftrack kit that she may return to you for X-mas! ;)

moon puppy wrote:
I have to go shopping for the Woman who wants nothing for Christmas. :blink

How about getting her a new CD?? :silly: Or a set of oil paints?

Laura, even in the first stages, those look very cool! Can't wait to see more!

Here's my homework. Ran into a problem with the turpentine reacting badly to my elcheapo plastic pallet. And my mixing seems to leave a lot to be desired.

The colors are just awful, not to mention my new camera/camcorder. I'll go back to my other digital camera and let this done the camcorder stuff My Bride(the cheerleader coach) wanted it for.

alpine006_20091225_1154953490.jpg

I need to work on the colors I think. I'll do the flesh tones tomorrow.

Bob, I think the colors are perfect. Who needs German figures. Them there is American G.I.'s!!! Seriously though, I've only done limited figures [in small scale] and even fewer with oils. It can be a challenge to mix the colors right.

Thanks Rob, even with other subjects I'm not real worried about paint chip matchup with the absolute "freakin' A" FS number colors. Unless it's a Museum rebuild or showroom model the colors that came out on these things were never an exact match. One of the pictures I have of myself in the USAF in fatigues has the shirt in one shade and the britches in another. And this was from the 80s.

Guess what I do need to do is find out what color these overcoats really were. Other than wait for Teacher to show up and get a critique so far.

Back