• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon Jagdpanzer IV L/70 (V)

Waiting on stuff to dry on my other projects, so I hauled out the Jagdpanzer. I started fitting the drive unit to the hull, it is quite a bit smaller than the Dragon hull. So, after consulting with the master, I decided to add some styrene shims.

IMG_5051.JPG

Shims made from sheet styrene and worked to the general shape of the hull.

IMG_5052.JPG

Mocked up the installation.

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

Of course, the only time this will be seen is during construction. :blink :laugh:

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5047.JPG

How's that looking, Unca Tony??

:drinks

That's hard to say, but the resin piece may have been made for a different kit than I'm using. I just didn't like the sloppy fit, even though you'll never see it when we're closed up. :laugh: Made a big pot of homemade red sauce, got it cooking right now. Sure smells better than Humbrol thinner! :laugh:

It was suggested I open the center hatch, so I made one of phantomII's famous panel scribers from a needle and a piece of dowel and opened her up!

IMG_5055.JPG

I'll need to add the lip around the inside.

IMG_5056.JPG

IMG_5057.JPG

There's a distraction though, the sauce is almost done!! Hard to concentrate with the smell of onions and garlic wafting through the house!!

IMG_5054%7E0.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG

:pp

:drinks

Can't believe I haven't even heard the phone ring :S

Boy Mike , I see what you mean about needing shims now. It was not straight in my head. I'm glad you were able to swing the finances on the scribe . Hope it worked well. :v

Well , I have not heard the word shrinkage associated with the resin . I'm becoming aware of that problem and that's a long mold . I was told as much as 1/4 on a tank barrel :vmad That's a lot in 1/35.

Anyhow, It looks good now :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Now if I could get the damned resin piece to fit!

Where are you having problems with it? Since the view is limited (and blocked) through the hatches, I don't see why the shims were needed. The funny thing is, I did not think you planned to open the central hatch. For a Jagdpanzer IV interior, there are other options which are specifically designed for the Dragon kit.

Thinking you simply wanted eye candy, I recommended this piece which was designed for the Italeri Pz IV (two flavors, with ammunition for the long gun, or none for the short gun or JgdPz IV as released by the then named Italaeri).

Regards,

Well Saul I prefer your explanation better, although these things do sometimes shrink. I hope not to experience that too often.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments! Saul, the resin piece I was referring to is the Armorscale concrete armor. The R&J drive unit is excellent, I just couldn't stand looking at the sloppy fit between the hull and the drives, even though you'll never see it once installed. :pinch: I know, I know, OCD something or other! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The Armorscale upper hull is longer than the kit piece, so since I had already installed the bulkhead, I can't adjust where it sits without tearing the bulkhead to pieces. I dropped the kit piece in place just fine. Gives me an excuse to get that new Dragon kit with the zimmerit. :hmmm I'll post pix later to show you what's going on.

OK, here's what I have so far. Tony was kind enough to preview my pictures and talk me through a plan of attack.

IMG_5058.JPG

Bolts removed and holes drilled.

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

Kit casement dry-fitted.

IMG_5061.JPG

Fits well.

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

Armorscale casement, not so much.

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

Tony suggested I look at the pictures on the Armorscale website, (I had forgotten about them! :blush: )
and in doing so, we figured out the issue. The engine deck needs to be assembled and installed, then work my way up to the front. I really did not want to butcher the bulkhead, so this should fix my problem. The concrete armor is back in the plan for now. Many thanks to Tony for his input!! :notworthy :notworthy
I'm off to the bench to assemble the engine deck, pix as they develop! :laugh:

Looking really great Mike! The flange on the removed panel looks really good. Don't forget to drill the bolt holes in that flange too.

Well Saul I prefer your explanation better, although these things do sometimes shrink.

Christian, you are right! Many times the resin used does shrink but R & J are using the good stuff and this set has been around for a long time. I bought several for the old Italeri and Tamiya kits.

Saul, the resin piece I was referring to is the Armorscale concrete armor. The R&J drive unit is excellent, I just couldn't stand looking at the sloppy fit between the hull and the drives, even though you'll never see it once installed. :pinch: I know, I know, OCD something or other!

The Armorscale upper hull is longer than the kit piece, so since I had already installed the bulkhead, I can't adjust where it sits without tearing the bulkhead to pieces.

Tony suggested I look at the pictures on the Armorscale website, (I had forgotten about them! and in doing so, we figured out the issue

I am glad to read that Tony and you have figured out the issue. Since the Armorscale set was designed for the older Dragon kit, I wondered if the upper hull had been changed again! I know that the engine deck from their A-0 and L/48/70 kits were different.

Regards,

Back