• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

D-Day P-47

:bang head Bob! you are your own worst enemy!!!!:D

I know... :facepalm (sounds like my high school principle...)

So whachya think with a coat of Future on it?

Before
P47031.jpg

After
hfb6337c.jpg

There are a couple of spots that I intent to clean up, will strip the effected area, mask it off and build back up with black base and AlcladII

The future looks like it has taken off a bit of shine, that could clear up a little when fully dry, i wouldn't fret to much as it also gives a slight weathered look, for the stripes, I know the Dakota's on the pre D Day para drop were hand painted with brushes, apparently all the shops in England sold heaps! as the ground crews hastily painted them on, and they were ragged.

here's a good pic
DDay1.jpg~original

DDay2.jpg~original

I'd cut the mask tape with a blunt blade, making a ragged edge, not too ragged and not too straight.

:popcorn :v :dude
Wow, that's shiny.
Perfect for some subtle off burnt umber between the panels (pigment as powder,not wash).

Ian.

Thank you Ian, you suggested that on the Mustang and I just couldn't get it to work right to my eye. Your suggestion is what inspired me to go after this look.

Think this will be my subject.

for discussion only...

I think I would like to do this scheme. If I can find the decals somewheres,
Link to the profile http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/350/3/10#165
Miss IDed there. I'll go with the G9-A scheme.
hbe3e727.jpg

The picture was taken the day after D-Day so pretty sure it qualifies. :dance

If I have to make decals I'll do this

h645c86e.jpg

Nice clean look. Text says it was delivered May'44, plenty of time to be used in June.

From the same source

h579854c.jpg

Wouldn't that be a hoot! Think this would fall under the Sloppy look. :rotf

If you bought the Kagero book (sometimes on sale at Squadron.com) you would get decals which include this scheme (posted with the publisher knowing that it only serves to sell his product):

Regards,

No Sharkmouth??

Oh I see it :rotf

hmm....and get 3 other schemes for bubbletops in all scales.

:hmmm

Great find Saul, might have to jump on that.

might have to jump on that.

....to the rescue !! - Bob, I have the decal sheet (and the book) in front of me. If you do decide to do Kansas Tornado II, then I'll send them over - no charge, just use them well ;) .

Let me know.

Ian

ps
for D-Day itself the 405th were based on a tiny airfield in a town called Christchurch, (there were four other P-47 groups on temporary fields within 10 miles of Christchurch, these fields were just that farmland and cleared forest areas !!), next door to Christchurch airstrip was a Royal Navy radar installation, when I was in HMCG our training centre (Highcliffe) occupied the old RN site, there were still some original buildings around. As for the airfield, that's now a housing estate, but after the war it continued as Christchurch Airfield and was used for a time by the Folland Company,to develop & build the tiny Gnat jet trainer

Thanks for the offer Ian, I think I will order the book and go with the Texas Tornado scheme, I like the idea of the extras in different scales. The 405th bird would be too much to do with the custom decals, don't want to get locked in like I did on the Mustang.

So hold what you got Mate, I'll be getting my own this time. :drinks

Well you might be wondering what the hell is this idiot doing making a chrome Thunderbolt.

There's a dirty shiny look I'm trying to get, and I think I'm close

P47034.jpg

Migs dark wash on one side, untreated on the other

P47035.jpg

Can you see it? Might be too subtle for the camera.

P47036.jpg

Fully treated drop tank

P47037.jpg

And what it looks like on the rack.

When I get decals and stripes on we'll see more of this and I hope it's going to turn out the way I'm aiming.

Now, what's going to be on the rack? Bomb or Drop Tank?

Not sure I can see the difference Bob. The bird looks nice and shiny though. Should be very cool when the markings are on. What was this used for on D Day, top cover or moving mud? That would determine the loadout I think.
James

:popcorn Do we have an option of an oily brown wash ? I think it might show up a bit better Bob .

Cheers, Christian B)

Y'all can't see the difference between the tank and the wing?? :bang head

As a side note. The drop tank was not primed, only Tamiya Gloss Black, then the AlcladII. It survived the tape test. So my problem is in the Mr. Surfacer primer.

Chris yes I can do an oily brown wash, lots of options to do here and lots of spots to test it on. :pilot

James the Juggs flew both CAP and CAS during the invasion so we can go either way with the wing pylon. You know me, i'm leaning toward the hard bomb. :D

52365ac.jpg

Shinny tanks ain't they?

Back