• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Cold Panther

The gun port on the front of the panther, they give you a flat disk with pie shaped cut outs and instruct you to form the piece into a dish to cover that simiglobe port thing. Well it just doesn't line up right and looks like crap, might be my application of it. I'll use some MR. Surfacer to clean it up but it looks bad.

That is my reason for avoiding PE zimmerit paste sheets. Unless you anneal the metal and really make it conform, it will not look good. Use a thin rolled out sheet of epoxy putty to cover the MG ball or I may dig up a leftover Italeri with zimmerit part which is better than nothing.

I am with James, epoxy cement is the way to go for the working time it allows. Fill in seams with epoxy putty.

Regards,

30 years ago I regularly used squadron green putty and a razor saw to make zimmerit. Is that so out of fashion? :idonno

I used the cell phone camera to get some shots, figure to get everything on the bench. here's where I am with the Panther.

Panther004.jpg

see what I mean about the gun port, now do I cover it and try to blend or just pop the offending PE off and go from scratch?

Panther005.jpg

PE zim looks pretty good. I got some of this for my mid-production Tiger. Did you have to heat any of yours to get it to bend easier?

B)

I'd try blending in the seams on the MG cover, overall it looks good.
If the seams still won't blend in, then pop the cover and putty it. Tryin
match the surrounding zim might be a bit tricky.

Mike

Terry I did not anneal the PE, probably should have on the gun port piece. I'll pop it off and work with it again.

Mike you're right about blending it in with the other Zimm, though there could be a great deal of battle damage to that area to hide any issues. Or a tarp..:mpup

Dragon tracks will be on their way along with Monroe Perdu armor skirts with hangers and Ultracast spare roadwheels.

Regards,

is it just the colours youre after ?

Smarty pants mode on :
You have a G and that looks like a picture of an A even though it says G by looking at the angle of the side armour However I could and invariably am mostly wrong :D
Smarty pants mode off :

:zen

:mpup

You have a G and that looks like a picture of an A even though it says G by looking at the angle of the side armour...

It is a G. If the skirts are missing, they were torn off. This means having metal examples to twist.

Or, you can build it before they were twisted off. One thing I am sure of, the barrel was not dark gray with camouflage.

Here are two panthers at the outskirts of Riga, Latvia, from Robert Michulec's book on the 4th Panzer Division...

13826184.jpg

Regards,

I've looked a couple of times at these Panthers and can't really see the differences, I know the gun mantle was different on some models but I can't see the differences on the hulls.

Yeah Andy, the colors and scheme is what I'm after on this. I'm not trying to make an exact copy of this subject because it may not be a correct drawing of the subject itself. What I'm aiming to do here is a fare representation of a Panther that may have looked like this in the 4th PzDiv in someplace cold along the Russia border.

Saul I kinda figured the gun would not have been grey, I remember Laura talking about how the Panthers were never painted grey so how could the gun have been?

Replacement barrel.

Even a replacement barrel would not be gray. The gun was treated with a dark gray primer designed for high temperatures but it was painted before delivery. The only dark barrels I find in photographs are discoloration from heat (just a darker shade of the overall color) and a few prototypes with guns not ready for service use.

Regards,

Back