• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Cold Panther

And in spring it's mud!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4U5ZmkaXcM
//Mats

And there's some old Russian dude there sayign "In the old days ve could not travel so we did not have these problems..."

Shoot man, that looks like a good ol' Southern Redneck weekend out to me! :yipee :rotf

That's for all the encouragement guys, I haven't even cut sprue yet and we've gone 3 pages... :rotf

Don't know what scheme to do to make it fit the Campaign, open for suggestions. It comes with Zimm but don't know if it's required.

to help a bit:

your kit box says: panther ausf. G early type ... the panther g was produced from march 1944 on, so your kit limits your options to let's say march - july 1944 (dunno when the first modifications to the g model were made!)

zimmerit was factory applied between december 1943 - september 1944 ... that limits your options to march 1944 - september 1944 (a surviving veteran of the early g type) ...

at that time, only dark yellow was ordered as tank color with camo field applied, depending on the unit's location and it's special environment - it was up to field unit commanders to decide what camo the tanks in his unit had applied ... e.g. a regiment commander wanted his tanks to be painted with brown camo in stripes, all tanks in his unit got brown stripes ...

since you're the commander of this particular tank, it's up to you to decide what camo will be applied ... brown, green, brown with green, stripes or blotches - all your decision! there's no strict regulation for the camo! you da boss with dem camo!

to help a bit:

It's about time!! :yipee :zen

Thank you Laura, so considering the time window it's doubtful that it would have been whitewashed. So now all I have to do is find a unit that was in the eastern front to satisfy the campaign rules.

Does this fit the campaign?
panther.jpg

Page four, better cut something off a sprue!!

Great, I'm going to paint it all Dark Yellow then camo. Does anyone make any dry transfers for this unit number?

Archer has numbers. Or a paint brush, or Montex I beleive has masks with numbers. I think Eduard has some masks and its either Griffon or Lion Roar that has metal template numbers.
James

Good, that's the dry transfers I ordered last night. I googled it up and found it, was going to impress you Laura with my research skills.. :eek:hyeah :soldier

Ain't that Google thing somethin'? :laugh: (y) You gonna have it done by the time I get back? :D

Five pages and I just now started cutting sprue.

And PE.

Panther003.jpg

That's about all I've done, fixing the PE Zimm to the hull

I'm kinda amazed at the low part count on this kit. Doesn't seem like much to it. Don't get me wrong, it's surely nice but not a lot to it.

Start on the roadwheels tomorrow.

Great start Bob! Big PE piece :side: its not very easy to work with. :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Well I pm'd this question, but really should ask it here in case anyone else is interested. So question is, what do you think of PE Zimmerit? I'm more for resin or home built and have avoided pe like the plague. Whats your take and how did you like it?
James

James not sure how to answer because I have so little experience in Zimm, in fact this is my first. But the PE seems fine, if not really thin but for this application it should be thin. The PE came out of the box mangled a bit. But it was shipped in from Australia a couple of years ago, Firestorm Models is where I bought it, It was a good deal at the time. I'm sure it was mangled during shipping.

But it rolled out nicely and I got it flat. As you saw i'm using clamps to keep it in place as the glue sets. I dn't have a warm and fuzzy about that either. I'd rather have some sort of solvent going on, maybe I should be using CA instead of the Scotch brand white glue.

Shoot, I may be painting here shortly!

Better still would be 5 minute epoxy. Tensile strength and slow (relatively) drying time so you can align everything. White glue might just comeback and bite you.
James

Well we're this far into it. think I only have two more pieces to add. If I get haunted by this I'll just build another Panther.

My problem with Eduards is rearing it's head on this. Eduards, to me, does a fine job representing the stuff in a 2d world, an IP for an aircraft, or an armor plate with Zimm on it, it's when they get to the 3d world they have a problem. The gun port on the front of the panther, they give you a flat disk with pie shaped cut outs and instruct you to form the piece into a dish to cover that simiglobe port thing. Well it just doesn't line up right and looks like crap, might be my application of it. I'll use some MR. Surfacer to clean it up but it looks bad.

No picts, no paint. But it's going together fast!

Back