• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z * Finished *

Phil

Well here is a kit I bought some time back, it's been staring at me each time I open the cupboard so I decided to start this one

I've been working on it slowly for a while, here is the build progress

DSC3974d.jpg

DSC3977d.jpg

DSC3978d.jpg

DSC3979d.jpg

DSC3980d.jpg

DSC_2511x2.jpg

DSC3983d.jpg

DSC3975d.jpg

resin
DSC3985d.jpg

kit gives camo for Finnish aircraft
DSC_2490di.jpg

DSC_2491di.jpg

DSC_2482di.jpg

not liking that I got this sheet
DSC_2485dd.jpg

DSC_2489dd.jpg

DSC_2492di.jpg

DSC_2493di.jpg

DSC_2494di.jpg

DSC_2495di.jpg

DSC_2496di.jpg

DSC_2497di.jpg

DSC_2498di.jpg

DSC_2499di.jpg

There's quite a bit of cleaning up of parts - but I don't care cause I just love the Classic Airframes kits.

after breaking one of the rear wheel axle forks I had a nice time trying to re glue the resin bit - ended up using a very thin wire brace into drilled holes which worked fine
DSC3989rg.jpg

DSC3990rg.jpg

some early clean up on the resin bits which came off the casting blocks very easy - except for that tail wheel part....
DSC3991p.jpg

kit Mg's - all look like the two on the bluetac now
DSC3993mg.jpg

The secret of doing a Classic Airframes kit - plenty of cleanup and dry fitting!
Preliminary dry fit test after some solid clean up work
DSC3994bt.jpg

DSC3995bt.jpg

DSC3996bt.jpg

DSC3997bt.jpg

DSC3999bt.jpg

DSC4000bt.jpg

I do believe the engines nacelles fit better than an Eduard 110C kit!!!!!!! :yipee

this one needs lots of test fitting and fine sanding/scrapping to make things fit nicer, the initial fit is quite good but this one is getting plenty of TLC!

one section I've been working on is the props, they dont spin, the kit calls for the props to be glued onto the resin engines, so....

using this piece of scrap I made up two prop shaft ''donuts'' , there's a few of these

DSC4191bb.jpg

made two prop shafts out of another piece of sprue, drilled through the resin engine
DSC4192bb.jpg

the donut holds the shaft nice and snug inside the nacelle
DSC4194bb.jpg

and it all comes together to give a free rotating prop.
DSC4193bb.jpg

parts sprayed with RLM 02 now almost ready to take the step and do some building.

DSC_4780b1.jpg

DSC_4781b1.jpg

kit IP is pretty basic, here's what I've done with it, I figure you won't see much of it closed up so I think it's good enough.
DSC_4812dip.jpg

The kit guns painted, and I'm adding Pe sights and posts, some will need to be fitted after they go through the greenhouse gun holes.
DSC_4815dg.jpg

(first Mg is from another kit - Eduard ground crew #8501)

Re: Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z

Wooo,, nice start, hat tip to ya Paul, I've yet to be able to finish a Classic Airframe kit. Gotten too use to Tamiya stuff. :popcorn

One of the few Classic Airframes I didnt get hold of.Looks really great. (y) (y) (y) (y) Wish someone would bring her out in 1/32.
James

Cheers all,

one thing about Classic Airframes kits is they bring out the true modeller in you - I have built these two before and thoroughly enjoyed them

DSC0441xa.jpg

DSC0495xa.jpg

DSC0525xa.jpg

DSC0515xa.jpg

DSC_0122ff1.jpg

DSC_0140f1.jpg

DSC_0133f1.jpg

If you do have a CA kit consider getting it out and building it - I know you will feel very satisfied when it is completed!

Now that would make an interesting group build - any Classic Airframes kit!!

Great start on the Dornier, I have several of these kits and am planning on doing some real damage to a couple of them one of these days ! :evil:

I like it ( of course ) . But you are making the ones in my closet talk very loudly :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian, Drag it out and get into it!!

A little more progress, not much though!

DSC_4839p.jpg

Gosh I wish it was that easy.

There is a long list of to do's and outside pressure for do other projects.

I can only seem to do one build at a time .

Of course there is also the resident evil . Just received a beautiful Sword Seafire blah , blah blah and so on ! :fencing

Well it's fightin' and bitin', spitin' and bitchin' - but slowly coming together.

Gaps - ok in some places not ok in others!

pit section and rudders not glued yet, still needs some addressing.

DSC_4890w.jpg

I used some left over Pe belts as there were none supplied
DSC_4891w.jpg

DSC_4894w.jpg

DSC_4895w.jpg

the worst area
DSC_4896w.jpg

and you can spot another problem area after getting rid of the side join gap!
DSC_4897w.jpg

rear wing join to fuse was a bit of a shocker, a fairly bit step in the joins which when removed caused another prob, but will live with it.
DSC_4898w.jpg

DSC_4899w.jpg

I'll have to live with that area
DSC_4900w.jpg

In hindsight I should of painted the side panels RLM02 first, then do the various instrument boxes in black (bangshead) oh well.

No worries on that Christian!! it may look a bit rough when done but it's still a Do17Z !!

I am enjoying the challenge!
Cheers!

Back