• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z * Finished *

Re: Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z

Finally - paint done!
crappy indoor pics but you can get the general idea
DSC_5621g1.jpg

A bit of push and shove to set the gear (almost!!) right
DSC_5619g1.jpg

mounted the engines without gluing the prop shafts solid! a smear of sewing machine oil on the shafts
stopped the Ca glue spreading to them
DSC_5622g1.jpg

DSC_5616g1.jpg

markings are scheme #3 - nacelle demarcations on the were more under the wing than the book photo
DSC_5355scheme3.jpg

DSC_2485dd.jpg

Looking good . One thing I noticed as well in my earlier builds is the amount of contrast between the two paints .

The artist rendering usually don't look as dramatic between the greens . I'm not sure how much the paints would actually fade in the European conditions . Food for thoughts :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Paint dosnt fade in Europe :) its more likely to go Greener with mould :laugh:

And so I would like to think ! However, that does not explain why there is so little contrast between the greens in some of those pictures.

Sorry, this is not a high quality picture but I borrowed it from Angelfire for the purpose of discussion on this topic. It still reflects my earlier comment about the lack of contrast on an airframe that has been in use for a bit.

do2172.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Its quite obvious that that specific picture is not only faded but also color blown. Was propably scanned in on an old drum scanner back in the 70's. Pictures had a tendency to get blown back in the days before digital imiging.

Beeing blown is obvious if you look at the ground Notice that all the greens on the ground has gone greyish also.

Plus you added old printing process from an earlier age also, if it was from the 70's it might even be pre litho and that means chemicly made copper plates that quickly lost sharpness.

OK, that explanation works for me . Is there a similar explanation for the black and white pictures I have seen that display little contrast ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Interesting conversation guys...about the color fading.

I'd like to go back to something else.

mounted the engines without gluing the prop shafts solid! a smear of sewing machine oil on the shafts
stopped the Ca glue spreading to them

HA! I knew there had to be something out there to keep CA in it's place. I'm assuming this is a very light oil? Why hasn't anyone told me about this before??

Looking good . One thing I noticed as well in my earlier builds is the amount of contrast between the two paints .

The artist rendering usually don't look as dramatic between the greens . I'm not sure how much the paints would actually fade in the European conditions . Food for thought

Check the two green paints under the cockpit
2086556193.jpg

unfaded on this one
2144323141.jpg

the port wing cross
2147271260.jpg

My paint is raw just shot a couple of days before, we'll wait for flatcoats and outside camera photos for the next round.

Don't forget - all aircraft were new and freshly painted at the factory at one stage in their life..........

HA! I knew there had to be something out there to keep CA in it's place. I'm assuming this is a very light oil? Why hasn't anyone told me about this before??

Sorry MP this is one of my old tricks I've used for many years!

it is very light oil,
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=178&products_id=1487

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Sewing-Machine-Oil-4-oz/19398733

There you go!

Never said they were not all like that on day one sir .

That # 18 ME 109 is not nearly as contrasting .

I am not criticizing your work . Just observations and a comment . That is all.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thats pretty neat Phil. Waiting to see the roundup on this one. :dude :dude

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I believe the 217's are all black so dont show any contrast.
The first Bf 109 is RLM 71 and 02 to my eyes and so has a high contrast.
The next looks RLM 70 and RLM 71 which gives less contrast.
This link might help with the constrasts http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/camo/bob/bob_camo.htm

Back to the do 17 though, it looks right and is nicely done. Hope I'm not stepping on toes, but the German colour schemes varied quite a bit and are a real challenge. Anything goes :D
James

I have my steel toe shoes on. The Finnish DO's on the other hand appear to be high contrast green and black . Reportedly well maintained machines ( and very clean looking ).

Cheers, Christian B)

Check the two green paints under the cockpit
2086556193.jpg
Compare the splinter seen on this captured aircraft to this one:

It shows signs of repainting aside from the obvious new markings. Click image to visit the 109 Lair...

unfaded on this one
2144323141.jpg
Note that the Swiss aircraft seen here were purpose built Bf 109E3a with different weapons and overall dark green over light blue gray.

the port wing cross
2147271260.jpg
This is one of the Versuchs (trials) series of Bf 109E-0 which were painted in overall flat black as 'night fighters." Note the non standard placement of the upper wing crosses and the painted over sections were the standard ones were. A close study of the fuselage sides show the codes painted over as well. Note the Exhaust covers on both.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Do you see a moon on the side here?
3.jpg

Regards,

Ok, my mistake but in the first two pictures I see people gawking at brand new ME 109 ! I know full well the demarcation were stronger on new paint jobs.

Why is this starting to appear to be a rumble ? It was only an opinion and a remark .

Cheers, Christian B)

Why is this starting to appear to be a rumble ?

Christian, no rumble. I was admiring the color photos posted and commenting on them as the first is an over painted captured example (gawked at by Brits, note the Gasoline truck), the second color photo is of a Swiss sharkmouth (which you know interests me and I have thoroughly researched) without a splinter scheme, and the third color image is a rare one showing the disinformation spread through propaganda. Excellent finds but not really useful to show standard splinter schemes. Still appreciated though.

Regards,

this is the first chance i have had to browse anyone elses builds here.

i think i need to go back to coloring books.

:notworthy :notworthy

joe

Just to add to the mix, I've seen a pic that suggests some Greek theatre 17's had yellow stabilizers as well. Just what I'd do! B) Very nice work- cheers!

Great work Phil! A very cool looking plane. (y)

All the best! :drinks
Dusan.

Cheers all!

now would anyone know for sure how these damned things were marked on the under side?

my markings = U5 BH

underwing, is it

BB
HH
BH
HB
U5 BH
??

Do17-Z2-9x_zpsddfe5c7a.jpg

Do17-12afx_zpsfcb47c69.jpg

Do17-33f.jpg

this shows four letters !!
Do17Z_Afx_zps88994ba6.jpg

DSC_2485dd.jpg

U5 BH = 1/kg2 has B on port wing 2nd diagram, at bottom of decal page it shows 1/kg2 with letter H ??/

mass confusion here!

Back