• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z * Finished *

Re: Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z

Im leaving out all the seats as they protrude to high and the nice resin is so very thin, they can be glued in after painting, the rear gun support and control column can be left out too, ......... :bangshead:

At the moment I'm adding a little more detail to the pit and gunners areas, there is no throttle controls so the parts bin is getting a work over.

small update

( the top pit part is not glued on)

The IP was an absolute bugger to glue in, I put it on the opposite side where the destuctions called, it fitted better, a care bending was needed also.
DSC_5241p.jpg

As you can see the engine nacelles fitted almost perfect - gap negligible, just a fill with a thin line of Ca closed it up
DSC_5239p.jpg

The nacelles have four lugs, the cutouts need just a little cleaning out, they snap in tight so be careful you don't break them, i broke one.

Also you need to make sure you have the correct gear assembly firewalls correct for port and starboard, when right they slope correctly for the wing fit.

Not much filler needed, I rarely use it but you can see where the prob areas are
DSC_5240p.jpg

more a bit later.

Ahh, but through all these trials and tribulations she's looking more flying pencilish all the time. Nice work Phil (y) (y) (y)
James

I'm glad to see this coming along so well. For a short-run kit you've had to use precious little filler, and the details look great- cheers!

chuk

Thanks MP but unsure who is doing the whipping!!!!

well first off the cowl braces painted and test fitted
DSC_5251eng2.jpg

then scratched some throttle controls

By the way does anyone here know what type of German bomb that is in the pic? it came from a German aircraft kit but I'm not sure which one!
DSC_5245pit2.jpg

seats and top pit section not glued, just to see what it all looks like
DSC_5246pit1.jpg

so...........
got the primer and silver base on...
then the next problems reared their heads!!

which you can prob see !!
DSC_5273s1.jpg

So three steps backwards
mass sanding filling and more sanding of putty, and lovely lovely scribing - as best as I could do
DSC_5305r.jpg

horrid depression now much better - it's good enough in my eyes now!
DSC_5306r.jpg

I've sanded it down a bit more for the next prime and silver ''attempt!''
hopefully it will look respectable.

Thanks Dave - guess what you are getting for Christmas............

Guess what I wont be building until I am a master like you then. :blush:
Think I will stick to messing up 1/72 Airfix kits in the meanwhile.

while waiting for calm weather I made up a trailing antenna
DSC_5336a.jpg

also inserting a small brass rod piece into the base of the main canopy mast and drilling a longer hole into the main canopy, this will give much more strength when the antenna wire is fitted late in the build.

this is all I'm doing on the repairs, primer and silver redone, there are a couple of rough spots but I'm calling that airframe warps - just like a real aircraft! that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!!!

DSC_5342r2.jpg

DSC_5340r2.jpg

DSC_5339r2.jpg

that top section is as smooth as a new born's rear end! it's just some weird reflected light that makes it look like two lines !!

Paint has begun!!
Thanks to Tim for the trick tip to make masking tape curve! fine cuts are the key
DSC_5444m.jpg

Canopy masking time, I used those horrid over sticky and non bending Montex masks as templates cut on a new kitchen glass cutting board, it worked excellent!
DSC_5506can.jpg

DSC_5507can.jpg

DSC_5514cp.jpg

result
DSC_5518cp.jpg

DSC_5549cp.jpg

ready to go
DSC_5482pr.jpg

DSC_5529cp.jpg

DSC_5537cp.jpg

DSC_5546cp.jpg

RLM 70 next