• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z * Finished *

Re: Classic Airframes 1/48 Do17Z

Screw it I went this way
DSC_5637dec_zps8e359b60.jpg

Phil I'd go with what you got, wouldn't worry about all the variants that could have existed. what you got going on is looking good! :pilot

Sorry for being tardy on responding, just falling behind on everything. Looked through my Bomber books and only pic I found showed no call letter on the wing tips. Looked up another site
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/325/2/3
And they could be left to right or right to left it seems depending on the unit and time and place. These 2 drawings show B on the Port wing

2_1.jpg

2_1_b1.jpg

Also looking at the instruction sheet it shows the B under the Port Wing. Unless this is going into a contest or on show and you dont mind, I would leave it as is. I think that diving bomber Eagle will really be the attention grabber no matter what.
James

Thanks for your help James!

that instruction sheet with the decals also calls for wingtips under to be yellow for 1/KG2 which doesn't show that on those pics you posted, same in my book that shows this aircraft, and also on any colour plate or pic of that aircraft I have found, that was another point of confusion, the two H markings another, the other aircraft I know of that shows same letters under is the Me110 - heavy fighter, another reason I didn't use that.

The next mystery is that stripe in front of the bomber Eagle, they supply two and only show that on the port side - starboard stripe won't sit the same as the glasswork is in the way.

They also supply two bomber Eagles...........

Why the other side isn't shown certainly does not help! :bang head

so will guess how the stb side is supposed to be and cut the decal when dry away from the glasswork

DSC_5654s1_zps892d355a.jpg

will add the last of the decals next
DSC_5653s1_zps542c87b1.jpg

Looks great to my eye, Phil- cheers! One question- whay did you only paint the cowls half-yellow? Got a photo? All those profiles show 'em fully ringed in yaller. Kick me if I missed something in this thread!

Cheers guys!

DSC_5355cowl2_zps9857cadc.jpg

from page 110 in book Flying Colours

also thought if this aircraft was hugging the deck it it be less noticeable without the bands on top, add the variations with the demarcation lines on the nacelles, it was a case of which way do we go.

DSC_2485in_zpsbeb1e472.jpg

Again confusion with this paint callout - upper surface does not show full yellow bands,

lower calls for yellow underwing on kg2

also shows double H letters on underwing!!!!, yet pics show the letter B

DSC_5355cowl_zps08af2582.jpg

This build could sent a person :gogo !!! :D

As far in material concern Do-17 over Greece I found both color version of nose strip - yellow and white. Letter underwings should be "B" because third letter was a plane marking within the squadron (mark by four letter of code) ... if it really was there....

If you can wait a one-two days i will scan a very good quality photo where nose strip is yellow, ring on engines is around and no letter marks underwings :hmmm

As promised :)

2833006260102052667S600x600Q85.jpg

2460656070102052667S600x600Q85.jpg

2455257450102052667S600x600Q85.jpg

Source: Monographs no.39 - Dornier Do-17/Do-215; Kagero Publishing 2008

Back to the color of strip on the nose - i think (basis on review of a few photos of KG.2 Dorniers) that color was directly related with belonging to current Gruppen. I saw red, white and yellow strips and each time the plane letter mark had the same color. So, maybe this is the key?

Great pics Hubert thanks! but all academic now - decals on, flatcoated, weathering started so it is how it is.

One can only work from what info one has, especially when the scheme is marked in an aircraft book :drinks

If anyone does get hold of this kit - leave the tailwheel, bomb bay and gear doors off til the last steps............ you have been warned!!!!!! no need to tell you why. :bang head :bang head :bang head
DSC_5718xf.jpg

going by Huberts pics I guessed the position of the Starboard side stripe quite good
DSC_5723xf.jpg

The horrid stains around the main wing crosses all but disappeared once the flatcoat dried completely thank goodness
DSC_5730xf.jpg

The next hurdle was the kit parts for the access door, they were far too thick showing some sort of spring? or covering, glue points were misaligned,
spent too many hours trying to fit them so junked them and used the thinnest diameter brass rod I had to fit the door in place
Still needs a tidy up there.
DSC_5736xf.jpg

Decided to add some ammo belts to the side feed kit MG's just to punish myself some more :gogo
DSC_5728xf.jpg

all academic now - decals on, flatcoated, weathering started so it is how it is.

Phil - you don't need to change it - all marks (yellow strip, yellow "B" on fuselage and "B" ubnderwings) are consistent with each other and customary way of marking Luftwaffe aircraft during this period (y)

Once again I'm ready to spraypaint and our weather dumps rain on us, so..

update - very close to being finished!!
DSC_6531xa.jpg

DSC_6532xa.jpg

DSC_6546x1.jpg

DSC_6539xa.jpg

DSC_6541xa.jpg

Canopy parts just wouldn't play ball, the lower ''window'' would squeeze in but would quickly spring back out, kind of
like one of the old comedy sketches with the multiple draws, push the top one in and the bottom one would push out :bang head

Lower gunners glass was much the same, get the sides in but would give another prob elsewhere on the part.

Main canopy was a ''thread the needle with the various MG's in position, at least I didn't snap any off inside!

One does not want to push this old plastic to much in fear of snapping the canopy sections, so it is what it is now.

A few paint touchups and a couple of small parts and it's done, and some sunshine would be good for outside photos.

This build tested me!! :beer

I really like the old Dorniers and your is gorgeous ! :D Gonna have to find time to build one or two more in the future .

Very nice Phil . Cheers, Christian B)

Excellent work, Phil- cheers! You've tamed the beast-and made it a beauty. :geek

Thanks heaps guys!
Got a overcast day so grabbed the beast and the cam and headed outside - duh! flat battery pack - no probs grabs the backup battery - double DUH - FLAT also!

and after all the canopy gluing I didn't take a final pic of my ammo belts and boxes I added inside :idonno

Stay tuned!!!

Back