• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bronco Marder II D

Lots of great progress to report for this weekend's bench efforts with the focus put on the remaining hull details in particular. All the tools were hand painted and detailed and installed in their various locations at the front of the hull and on the rear mesh screen of the fighting compartment. Curiously, the Bronco PE fret only provides 4 handles for the tools that go on the front fenders and none for the tools that go on the rear...the omission is also there in the instruction sheet, the tools are clearly shown assembled and installed sans handles...so I used some extras from a Griffon PE clamp set for those tools to make up for it.

I also added a little bit of visual interest by creating a different shade of the Panzer Dunkelgelb/Light Gray combo and used this on the jack and fire extinguisher. Since this type of gear was manufactured separately from the vehicle and added at the final stages before the vehicle was shipped out, you wouldn't expect a 100% match so they got the slightly different (and darker) treatment to reflect that.

Last but not least, the spare track run was detailed up and installed in place in the rack on the hull nose.

Step60.JPG

Step61.JPG

Other rear hull details were picked out as well. I used Tamiya Clear Green for the Notek convoy light lenses and Tamiya Clear Red over some MM non-buffing Metalizer Steel for the brake lights. The visible parts of the exhaust system were also detailed although they are all but hidden away in various places.

Step62.JPG

Tracks also received some attention. I dry-brushed enamel MM Steel and then followed that with a wash of enamel Raw Umber to prep these for the pigment weathering to come later.

Step63.JPG

With the details squared away, a coat of Future via airbrush sealed everything in and was allowed to dry for an hour before the decals were added. Markings are simple for this scheme and vehicle, just crosses and small white numbers on either side of the fighting compartment. Decals were treated with Solvaset to ensure they snugged down with no silvering and then a 2nd coat of Future applied to seal them in and protect against the weathering to come.

Step64.JPG

Coming down the home stretch now on this one, not a whole lot left to do to get 'er done!

Felt good to get back to work on this project over the weekend and make some more progress with it. This round of effort focused on the weathering with the first step involving the application of an overall wash of thinned MM enamel Raw Umber with a round 000 sable brush. This step inevitably darkens the finish but it's meant as a foundation step only for what's to come.

Step65.JPG

That next step in the process is the application of dot filters. Using small pointed brushes, dots of MM enamel Flat White, Raw Sienna, and the 50/50 Light Gray/Panzer DY mix used earlier were applied to small sections of the vehicle at a time. Using a square-tip blender brush lightly dampened with thinner and repeated strokes, the dots are blended together until they virtually disappear, creating a filter and streaking effect in the process.

Step66.JPG

Because the enamel paints will start to dry fairly quickly, it's necessary to work in small sections at a time and plan the directionality as you move around the vehicle. Lots of thinner is involved, so I wear a breather mask throughout the process, and after a couple of hours, the process is complete.

Step67.JPG

I let that sit overnight and then went to work on a pin wash using MM enamel Burnt Umber. The Bronco kit has some very nicely molded fine details like the slotted screws on the fighting compartment exterior that I wanted to accentuate, so a 10/0 pointed brush was used to pick them out with the pin wash. Excess wash was cleaned up using the same pointed brush and clean thinner where needed.

Step68.JPG

Step69.JPG

This will also get a chance to sit for a little bit so I can come back to it with fresh eyes and make any necessary adjustments before the flat coat will be applied and the pigment weathering process begin.

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments!

MP, yes indeed there is! Brushes give a long and loyal service, even when they are worn out they are still good for dry-brushing or stippling! :)

Back