• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Warren's Shelf Queen II

sharkman

Master at Arms
Ok, I'll take a stab at this with this beastie!

It's Nichimo's Aichi E13A Jake. I started this kit a few years ago now and poked at it here and there but the main reason it got shelved was because of the nasty seems and all the modifications that needed to be done. It's actually not a bad kit for the most part, but it certainly is more of a toy that an accurate model. I'd love to see someone come out with an updated Jake kit in 1/48.

I replaced the interior with a modified Val interior from CMK. Should have waited for the Lone Star kit from Mike West though. I was too impatient at the time.

Just dry fitting everything, it doesn't look that bad...

Here are some of the nasty seems (IMO) that need to be dealt with. The detail is actually not bad and I've been told that the actual plane had raised rivets. It's too bad that some of that detail will be lost cleaning up these seems. I'll have to try and fix it after.

The kit does have a nice beaching dolly with it that will just take a bit of work to clean up.

On to some work!

I've started on one of the floats, cleaning up seems and sink marks but I also wanted to modify the rudders so they look a little more life like. This is what you get:

So I tried to more approximate the real rudder by drilling a few new holes and adding some wire.

End result!

That's it for tonight!

Will watch with interest. Cant wait to see how you tackle the seams. Love the extra detailing too.
James

Thanks everyone!

Looking back at this kit, I definitely would have done a few things different!

Anyway, I got some filling done and tackled the big seam on the side of the cockpit.

I added some small styrene rod to fill the gaps in the wings

A combo of putty and rod around the cockpit

Filling the bottom...

and more putty around the cockpit

not pretty! :soldier

There were some deep grooves MP!

After a rather aggressive sanding session, I think I got most of the problems. Quite a bit of detail was lost in the process, but not as much as I figured.

The underside turned out pretty well too!

I gave the floats a second sanding as well and they are almost done too. Just a little more on them and the body and we should be able to move ahead! the kit is an E13A1b (the b had redesigned floats). I'm thinking I'll be crazy and make this one an E13A1 with the original floats.

Thanks guys!

I've been busy with more house renos and work. Trying to make a new room for my daughter as we are expecting her little sister the end of next month! :D

But, some time for another little update tonight...

I added a new opening and window on the bottom (this was either for a camera or bomb sight or both, I don't know) and some new hard points for the bombs from the spares box (the kit ones were poo poo).

Drilled many small holes in the floats to accept the new rigging

Installed the bracing rigging in the float supports

and finished off some more sanding. I had to add a few pieces of fine wire to replace the ridges I Iost when i cut off the other float supports. Almost done these!

A little update tonight!

I got the floats attached to the body, had a crude set up of paint bottles to make sure they stayed put while the glue set.

Then I added the last of the rigging wires..

I shaved off the molded bumps along the side of the cockpit (which I assume are air intakes for the cockpit) and replaced them with some new bits cut from styrene rod.

I should be able to get this one finished up soon!

Just became aware of this one. Looks like it could be one of my horror stories :rotf

I've never seen his kit build before . Looking forward to your magic on this one.

I like your rudder idea already :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Back