• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Warren's Shelf Queen II

Thanks for the great comments folks!

I've been at this one a bit waiting for some paint to arrive for the Lublin!

Got the engine painted and mounted. If I remember right, this was an Engines & Things engine.

Cowling mounted and had to fill in some holes for the support wires on the bottom.

I added a new metal shaft on the prop...

Almost done!

The next major step will be to fix up the beaching trolley

and i got a coat of silver on it tonight to look for any mistakes. Unfortunately there a few that will require a little more sanding!

Looking really good Warren, the wire braces really shine when the kit is done, it made my Walrus build and worked out great. The silver base is always a good choice as it shows paint wear if you accidentally rub some off during the build process, I use it on all my builds, and sets up an interesting natural look chipping when you get into that stage.

Should look great when done! (y)

Looking really good Warren, the wire braces really shine when the kit is done, it made my Walrus build and worked out great. The silver base is always a good choice as it shows paint wear if you accidentally rub some off during the build process, I use it on all my builds, and sets up an interesting natural look chipping when you get into that stage.

Should look great when done! (y)

Phil, do you usually give the silver a gloss coat before applying the overlying paint? I'm wondering if that would help with some chipping?

No Warren, I use Tamiya rattle can A/S 12 bare metal silver, it dries very quick but I leave it for a good two days and it dries tough as nails. Also used on my NMF panels for a different shade.

T/S 17 gloss Aluminum is more shiny but takes much longer to dry and fully harden, I haven't tried that for my silver basecoat though, I used that on the P-47 cowl for the checker decal and for another panel shade variation on NMF birds.

I think the A/S 12 is a harder cured paint, the T/S 17 seems a little ''softer'' when fully cured, but still pretty tough.

HTH

Thanks folks! Got a little more work done on this one...

I'm about ready to start painting but started some work on the trolley as well. Picked up a contour ruler to help make some better supports for the floats.

Still a bit of trial and error at the moment. I added some stock styrene sheet to simulate planks in the middle of the trolley and will add a couple more out rigger planks on the ends eventually.

Then finally got a coat of JN grey on tonight. Might have to do a couple touch ups though.

More to come!

Thanks Guys! ;)

I fixed up my IJN grey errors and a little more sanding. I finally got a chance to mask off the nose and get some semi-gloss black down. Plus, i painted the prop and a few other details. Just have to paint some red prop warning strips and a few other things and it should be ready for a gloss coat and decals! The end is in sight for this one!

It's always a really great feeling when you get to that point where you know you're going to finish another.

Keep it coming, Warren.

Ian

Thanks Christian, Bob, Ian and Luiz!!

Yes, it does feel good when you know you'll finish one!

I got the warning stripes masked and painted tonight. Started with a base of Tamiya flat white then covered with Tamiya red mixed with a little black to darken it a little so it would match the hinomaru decals I have for it.

I'm going to use a bunch of decals from the spares bag because the kit decals aren't worth the trouble!

This little Jake is rarin' to go!!

Back