• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf 110G-4 in-progress

matrixone

Some pictures of my latest project...its the 1/48 scale Pro-Modeler Bf 110G-4.

The box top...

h77988a3.JPG

Cockpit parts have been given a rough spray of RLM 66.

h5dc4a36.JPG

Here are a few snaps of some of the problems I found in my sample...
Fuselage defects on the left hand side.

hd505e36.JPG

Poorly molded wing parts...

h6555a06.JPG

The left wing has the trim tab, its missing on the right side.WTF :frantic
Both sets of wings were warped and the fit is s**t. :vmad

h52212f7.JPG

I built the Pro-Modeler Bf 110G-2 over ten years ago and never had these type of problems even though the kits are nearly the same vintage.

Matrixone

Yo, guys.... He's at it again, bring beer, pizza and :popcorn

Ian.

I'm in.

My first question after seeing the opening pic was how are ProModeller kits, and you answered that well enough. I have a hard enough time wrestling an Eduard into shape.

ausf,
My kit is not the norm, most Pro-Modeler kits are quite good and this one just happens to be a lemon. :side:

More in-progress pictures, most of the cockpit parts are now painted and these set of pictures show them dry fitted in the fuselage halves.

h39c7da8.JPG

hb35fc1e.JPG

ha390c57.JPG

h153ac58.JPG

I won't do much more painting on the cockpit since not too much will be seen after the canopy is on the finished model.

Matrixone

ausf,
My kit is not the norm, most Pro-Modeler kits are quite good and this one just happens to be a lemon. :side:

More in-progress pictures, most of the cockpit parts are now painted and these set of pictures show them dry fitted in the fuselage halves.

h39c7da8.JPG

hb35fc1e.JPG

ha390c57.JPG

h153ac58.JPG

I won't do much more painting on the cockpit since not too much will be seen after the canopy is on the finished model.

Matrixone

Watching this one for sure .....Curious about that oval shaped item on the rear floor .

Any idea what it is ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Watching this one for sure .....Curious about that oval shaped item on the rear floor .

Any idea what it is ?

Cheers, Christian B)

That's the kit part of the wicker seat for the rear gunner/radioman...

Les-- I look forward to seeing your work on this one. I was fortunate to not have the wing and fuselage issues you are having with mine...but the decals were tricky and I am interested to see how to tackle the antenna...I may revisit mine after I see how you tackle things ;)

Thanks guys!

Jeeves,
You are spot on about the wicker seat for the crewmember in back of the pilot, I did not like how it looked after I painted it so I added an oil wash to bring out the detail molded into the seat and now it looks much more like it was supposed to.
While I had my oil paints out I also added some forced shadow effect to some of the recessed parts of the cockpit. The oil paint was added directly over the enamel coat of RLM 66, doing this caused the oil paint to spread out a bit and gave it a more natural appearance...the assembled cockpit now has the gritty worn look to it.

h1aa1f59.JPG

hd2a6d09.JPG

h2671e57.JPG

Here the cockpit is glued together and inside the fuselage, to avoid any warping problems only the front of the fuselage is glued together. The rest of it will be glued Tuesday morning.

h346767d.JPG

h5d3bdb0.JPG

Matrixone

That looks a lot better (y)

Odd looking chair. Makes me think of a short chaise longue :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Ed and Christian!

One thing that's always bothered me about the Pro-Modeler Bf 110G-2 and G-4 kits is the lower wing assembly, the right hand side lower wing part has the fuselage belly pan molded on it which by itself is not a big deal but unfortunately the wings on all the Pro-Modeler Bf 110G's look to my eyes to not have enough dihedral in them and with the belly pan molded together with the right wing you are stuck with what the kit gives you...I modified the part on my model by cutting some notches and scoring some lines on the inside and carefully bending the belly pan upwards slightly to hopefully allow for a tiny bit more wing dihedral.

In the image below the red arrows point to the place where I made the notches in the plastic.

h038c81f.JPG

I won't know if I was successful in improving the dihedral on this kit for a few more days but the dry fitting looked good earlier.

Matrixone

Back