• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/144 B-2 Stealth Bomber

Skinny_Mike

Hi folks, I’m going to throw my hat in the ring here and I am hoping for a quick build. I am currently stuck at a slow point for another build and this should offer something to fill in the dead time.

There was a thread going around out there asking if family history factored into your builds at all. Well for me it certainly has, but its more personal history, not family history. Up until a little more then a year ago, I was lucky enough to work on the B-2 program in a few different capacities, from Flight Test to weapons integration. I can’t lie, I really did love my job and loved being around this magnificent airplane. I was also lucky enough to meet my wife while we were both working on the program at flight test. During all that time I never wanted to build a model of the B-2 though. First of all the Testors kit is just a piece of junk, and none of the available kits really are well detailed or correctly detailed and I have the curse of knowledge! Secondly, every model of this jet only has markings for S/N 82-1066, which was the first airplane off the assembly line, and they do not include the door markings for the airplanes. So what’s changed? Well, about a month ago I stumbled across a set of aftermarket decals in 1/144th scale that include operational markings for 5 different aircraft, and the best part includes 82-1068, The Spirit of New York, in her flight test markings. This is the plane I wanted to build, I am from New York originally and it was the airplane we used as a test jet when my wife and I met (she still calls it “the other woman”). All of the signs were there, 1/144th scale Revell B-2 kit was in my stash (wife bought it, I thought for herself, turns out it was for me to build for her!), decals were purchased and March was just around the corner. Time to get building!

Here is the start up photo. The kit is the Revell 1/144th scale Northrop B-2 Stealth Bomber.

h9700977.jpg

Cockpit was painted and assembled, there are only two parts. I used Ammo from Mig FS 26173, that they suggest for the interior of modern US aircraft. It looks about right. The seats were painted in black to mimic the ejection seats. The cockpit isn’t even close to accurate, but its tiny and you can’t see in anyway, so I left it be.

h90d5331.jpg

Next the clear window pieces was given a future bath, painted in a mix of Tamiya clear yellow, smoke and clear orange, then installed and the cockpit installed after it. The intake pieces were all cleaned up and the interiors painted white followed by clear gloss. I did prime the parts first with Tamiya primer from the rattle can. I figured it would help cover the black plastic.

h0bd31c3.jpg

And the intakes installed

h37d2be5.jpg

Next up I assembled the fuselage halves. I’m not sure if my parts were a little warped or something but they did not go together well at all. There is still a big step on the front seam line that I will need to deal with.

hf106ff9.jpg

he087e8c.jpg

And the outer wings

h4815448.jpg

From what I can tell, this kit is based on, or is a rebox of the Revell snap tight kit. This has resulted in some giant seems where the parts come together. Lots of putty for sure. It’s also a mix of raised panel lines with some fairly cavernous recessed panels around the control surfaces and the moveable doors. I’m going to scribe out some of the panels that really exist and are depicted raised then sand off the remaining raised panel lines. I’ll leave the recessed stuff alone for the most part. I was really hoping this would be an easier build, but I’m already 75% done. Not quitting yet!

Time to order more putty!

See you all soon.
Mike

Thanks guys! Lots of little white lines on the bottom as of today. Making some progress. I'll try to get some photos up when I get home.

Way to go Mike. Curious to see how you tackle the paint job.

Cheers, Christian B)

That's a really good question Christian. :hmmm I was planning to just paint the whole aircraft Gunship Gray and then change up the color of the radomes a little bit. But now that I'm thinking about it, I probably should try to replicate some of the lines a little bit. Kind of like this...

h95a409a.jpg

I'll ponder that while I work the sanding sticks...

See you soon
Mike

Hey all – back with a little bit of progress. Actually this was a ton of work, with only minimal end results, but sometimes that the case.

I spent the last week working feverishly on this kit. I added the outer wings and filled in the seam lines and the panel lines that do not really exist. There were a number of places where the fit was really terrible, including the leading edge and the wings on the bottom seam, where there were some pretty large steps. I also scribed some of the panels that I wanted to show off, primarily the radomes, and flap panels on the bottom and the nose pitot static panel on top. In reality, these don’t really have panel lines, but I needed help remembering where they are during painting, and it adds some detail to a very dull OML. I have to admit this is not the best scribing I have ever seen, but its tough to get straight lines on these compound curved surfaces. Overall I’m ok with the end results. I also sanded off all the raised panel lines to finish the clean up.

Here are the photos. First the top

hec78a9d.jpg

And the bottom

hdd9f77e.jpg

Next step will be a bath and then the primer, so I can look for any rough spots, then on to the paint. I think the hardest part of this build is definitely behind me now.

Thanks for looking, see you soon!
Mike

Thanks for the kind words Dave and Pup.

I got the primer down this evening. Sort of a good news bad news situation. Good news, primer is on. Bad news, all those seems still need work. :angry: But that is why we primer. Oh yeah - the good news, the scribed panels turned out a lot better then I expected! I'll get pictures up after I've eradicated all those nasty seams! :bat

Stay tuned!

Mike

Hi guys! Quick update tonight.

I spent the last week or so in an endless cycle of putty, sand, repeat. :sick: In the end I got everything fairly smooth with the exception of the seam in the “rudderons” (Those are the clamshell control surfaces at the end of the wings). I honestly went through five cycles, using four different gap-filling materials and I still just can’t rid of the seam. No idea. :idonno I tried squadron white putty, followed by milliput, then Tamiya putty and lastly good old CA glue. At that point I called it quits. The seam is on the bottom and I really need to get moving on this thing or I am not going to make it.

Painting started with a coat of Ammo by MIG Black Primer. I wanted to use the dark color because I wanted to make sure I had a good even primer coat, and the black covered over all the different layers of sanding and primer. Here are the pics.

hf1aa282.jpg

h00942bf.jpg

And here’s a close up of that pesky seam after the primer coat.

h2985e5e.jpg

Next time I’ll start with some plastic strips. I actually thought of that after the CA glue, but without some surgery, that was not going to happen at that point. :facepalm

After the primer dried overnight, I painted the base coat, MM Enamel FS36118, Gunship Gray. This is the basic color of the airplanes there days. There are a few places with some other paint features, but in this scale those will be relatively invisible.

h3cd3684.jpg

The bottom is painted as well, I assure you, it looks the same! :lol:

Next step will be some variation in the gray, especially on the wing leading edge which does fade out kind of quickly. Since I am building this for the wife’s office and she does not particularly like the weathered look, I’ll keep the variations to a minimum.

Well that’s where we are today. Sorry for such a short post, but man there was a lot of work behind it.

Thanks for looking in. Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Mike

I wouldn't have noticed the seam without the blue arrows point at it. Just don't flip it over! :rotf

Looks fine, :popcorn

Thanks guys!

Last two nights were taken up by my other hobby, so no updates, but I did work out a bit of a plan for moving along. Supposed to be a rainy weekend in central Florida, hopefully I'll have a lot of bench time!

Mike

Hey everyone – back with a little progress to report.

After the Gunship Gray dried, I did a little variation in the paintwork to make it look a little less like a toy. First was a lighter shade of the gunship gray clouded into the center areas of the airframe. Next was some darkened gunship gray in some of the panel line areas as sort of a post shading. Both were mixed up using MM paints, with flat black and flat white used to vary the color. I just mixed them and tested the variations on a paint donor until I liked the colors. I also sprayed the leading edge in a darkened custom mixed neutral gray. The wheel wells and bomb bay were also masked off and primered in light gray followed by MM enamel flat white. Lastly, the dark areas around the exhaust were masked off and sprayed Tamiya NATO black.

And the photos:

h1334ef7.jpg

h3005388.jpg

h120d4ad.jpg

I’m really happy with the way this turned out. There are some metallic parts that still need to be painted, but I’ll do those after the decals and flat coating.

Next up are the decals. I stumbled across this set from Begemot Decals out of Russia. Mine were purchased from Linden Hill. The decal sheet includes enough stencils for one aircraft with optional markings for five different airplanes. As I indicated before, I chose AV-3, S/N 82-1068 Spirit of New York in the Edwards AFB flight test markings.

hfeb35ec.jpg

h1ab0dab.jpg

These decals went on superbly. They are as good as any decals I have used before. And if you look close they are in perfect register, you can read the stenciling.

h9c8292a.jpg

I did find it a little weird though that there are only 3 decals for the bottom, which are the national insignia, and decals to represent the pitot static ports. Having been up close to these birds, I can say there are plenty of stencils on the bottom as well.

I also decaled the MLG doors. Since the B-2 doesn’t have a vertical tail, the only flat surface available for the AFB designator (ED for Edwards and WM for Whiteman AFB) is the MLG doors. The doors also include the squadron motto and the name of the aircraft. AV-3 carried the Edwards motto, Ad Inexplorata, and the B-2 test force patch. Just for reference here is a picture of the patch.

hd9884f5.jpg

And the MLG doors

h6df4c56.jpg

I have run into a small problem. Turns out one of the hinges for the forward nose gear door has broken off and gone missing.

h5598b88.jpg

I’m not sure yet what I am going to do with it, but I’ll try to repair and go from there.

The landing gear have all been built into a series of sub-assemblies and primed, painted, MM Flat White, and futured. They will get a wash and a coat of semi-gloss.

Moving right along on this one, but the clock is definitely ticking, I should come in just under the wire.

Thanks for looking folks, hope everyone had a good Easter. See you soon!

Mike

Back