• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Backwoods lumber Company Shay ... I like Trains

Swordsman

Seems there's one or two here who like :train 'S

So here we go my project is to make a backwoods shay ... It will look something like this when finished ...

hc0f6407_2017-01-20.jpg

I'm thinking of adding a hoist/winch system on front like this ...

h05a9d9a.JPG

The Donner's ... Are shown below ... First off we have a On30 two truck Shay (1/48)

hacbcbb5_2017-01-20.jpg

Then We have a On30 log skidder which I hope to use the vertical boiler & donkey engine on the front of the loco ...

hd7ada1b_2017-01-20.jpg

The skidder & loco have been disassembled and modifications have started ...

h9332ef7.jpg

The boiler off the skidder was too small in diameter to fit over motor ... So I'll filling the area under old T boiler ... Which will be the source of steam power in my sawmill that I plan on building for my next module ...

Ok here's what I have so far ... I've filled and painted the front of loco where the T-boiler was ...

h7335c63.JPG

h8a3e876.JPG

h8584471.JPG

h63f89dd.JPG

Then the vertical boilers off the donkey engine was too small in diameter ... So some PVC pipe coupler looks about right for the job ...

hc309f77.JPG

h799ef5b.JPG

Now for the sides I see a beam here still thinking steel or wood ??? ... :hmmm this I beam is too small

h4ab02e4.JPG

I have my mini table saw, I may have to cut some wood ... :hmmm

Thanks MP & Terry ... Looking at the vertical boiler on the left, I see I need a little ring, under the boiler top, scratch building has it's problems. I'll do some looking today at the show see if I can find a box of scrap parts or something that will be acceptable ... (y)

Thanks Mike ... I looked for some things to help with boiler but found nothing ... Hang in there ... the ideals are coming ... together ...

Trains are so kewl. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks ... I spent last night recovering from last weekends Train show ... We all had a very good time ... Think I can use a small War hammer base and wrap it in brass to help with the boiler construction, the boiler will be center of attention.

Thanks James :good: ... I've been working on this a bit ... Yesterday the sides were giving Me fits. So I added some wood to it instead of the angle Iron, Now I see that This loki will be wider than the one in the picture.

hd847333.JPG

h7bd1fdc.JPG

But that's Ok this will still be in tolerance for the clearances on the layout ... I'll just it a bit bigger ... the photo is of a HO anyway ... the one is On30 scale (1/48) ... On to the Boiler, I looked all day for my brass strip material. Trip to Hobby shop today will fix that, here's what she looks like with the two GWS bases glued and ground down ready for the brass ...

h1fcb64e.JPG

hb4a58ec.JPG

And sitting on the Loco, I'll add some wood strips down the side to hide the edge of platform ...

h7a8d4cd.JPG

Looks really good!! Does it :drinks make shine? Gary S.

Thanks Doc & Gary :hmmm ...Good ideal let's see if we could make some engineer fuel ... stopped and picked up more brass I'm looking at this now ...

h5e97500.JPG

h6e5d086.JPG

Bottom edge needs some work ... but all & all from a distance I think this would look good ... although AMS is lurking in the background ... the front needed some work so I removed the steps & coupler pocket ...

h21098aa.JPG

Then with dermal I removed middle tab & rivets ...

h18f70ac.JPG

This is western red ceader wood that I cut with miniature table saw ... added bumper blocks & side board, just waiting on the glue to dry ...

h32edfdd.JPG

h684fb77.JPG

Thanks James ... did you ever buy some of those for yourself ? .... anyway continuing onward through the Fog.
This is where I've gotten to on the decking ... in next photos I'm cleaning up the deck work ... I've spent the last few days looking for my bundle of wood I cut ... only to realize I wasn't looking where they were ... :rotf

hd7ee96e.JPG

h7d94d49.JPG

I'll fill in the little space at the front reason for my search ... Meanwhile I was working on the boiler ... a bit rough but after paint I think it will look good ...

ha28510c.JPG

h2497dbc.JPG

h5615906.JPG

h2e73a45.JPG

the bands kept coming off ... I haven't found the right cement yet ... I also found a firebox door that I'll add ... :soldier :ro: :dude ...

h4b1b1ca.JPG

I trimmed the front bumper down in the last photo and I think this glue will stick ... time will tell, I've been worried about being able to attach brass & styrene to a piece of PVC ... :hmmm

Thanks MP ... at least I'm making progress ... time will tell I'm going to experiment with my weathering pens next ... I must get the other side on also ... :salute

For the problem of the brass bands coming off. Maybe wrap the bands around a smaller diameter cylinder so that when you put them on the boiler they are under tension inwards instead of wanting to spring back out/off? Also, maybee straightpins every so often as a rivet to hold the brass to the cylinder?

Cheers

Back