• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT International Scout II

Shock absorbers. I used brass tubes, .1" & a .065 that slides into the larger. I cut short pieces of each to go crosswise on each end. I tried to solder again and evidently I am missing something. I tried 3 different irons, and two different solder wires. The only common thing was the flux. I sanded and cleaned the parts. I could hear the flux sizzle away LONG before the solder melted into a bead which rolled off. It has to be the flux, right? Anyway, I used a round file to cup one end of each rod and ended up using superglue. The mounting brackets are square styrene tube. (I don't have channel strips the right size.) I cut one side of the square off then drilled a hole for a pin. They look OK I guess. Man, I wish I knew what the problem is with soldering!
1000011447.jpg

I simply cut the pins off just proud of the surface and put a spot of CA to hold it, then painted them black. @Rhino 's cap-holder-omatic is getting its workout holding the CA today!
1000011448.jpg

Last edited:
Dual exhaust. Again, I tried to make the mufflers by soldering brass but it never came close to working. My next trick was to heat some styrene tube in hot water and squishing it into an oval shape. Again, no can do muchacho. I ended up sandwiching two pieces of .08 styrene to get the right thickness then sanded to shape. At first I glued an oval shaped styrene piece to the ends but they kept splitting when I tried to drill the holes. I ended up using half round styrene strip. I scraped the flat side to make the curl, then superglued my way around each end. No more splits!
For the pipes I originally tried using aluminium tube, annealed it, and bent it; but the bends are so tight it still crimped a little. Brass tube did the same. I finally used styrene tube and held it over a candle until it softened then shaped it and let it cool and harden again. That good looking one on the bottom was my first attempt but could never get to be that well shaped again. Of the other six pieces I shaped, the top tail pipe was the best.
1000011449.jpg
1000011450.jpg

Sounds like the work piece is not getting hot enough before the solder melts. What you have looks good! :popcorn

Sounds like the work piece is not getting hot enough before the solder melts. What you have looks good! :popcorn
Yeah, it worked and they look good. I have thee soldering irons. One is a 140W industrial gun, a 60W and a 30W. I used 2 different solder wires, .031" diameter and .062" diameter, both rosin core. The only thing consistent with every fail was the flux. I only have one kind of flux, AquiFlux hard soldering liquid flux. I need to get a differnt flux and try again.

Go and find some Kester flux at your local hardware store. It is a paste and used to come in a tin. Mine ate up the original tin so I moved it to a new one and it has eaten that one as well. I think they now have it in a plastic tin and it shouldn't eat it's way out.

Greg
I think your problem is the flux is actually making the weld dirty.
With Rosin core solder the rosin is the flux so you shouldn't need extra flux. with the size of items you are soldering a 30w iron should be fine.
Its a balance between getting the brass hot enough to melt the solder but not burn the flux. Try it without the additional flux.

Additional fluxes like plumbers flux are designed to work with gas torches and need high temps

Additional fluxes like plumbers flux are designed to work with gas torches and need high temps
And it's very dirty. I did a comparison somewhere between some electrical flux and plumbers, maybe it was solder paste...going digging in photos.

Not only drools but custom drools!! Nice touch with the hand brake.

Greg
I think your problem is the flux is actually making the weld dirty.
With Rosin core solder the rosin is the flux so you shouldn't need extra flux. with the size of items you are soldering a 30w iron should be fine.
Its a balance between getting the brass hot enough to melt the solder but not burn the flux. Try it without the additional flux.

That is exactly what was happening. Thanj you Paddy. I am so relieved I figured out to not use the flux!

Busy, busy, busy! You have a lot going on there Greg!
You might want to open up the holes on the tail pipes.
I noticed that after looking at the photos. Should be an easy fix. All that is left is making floor mats. I believe the tape is going to work well for that. I have them base coated

I think I will call this one. I am totally tempted to do the second one the same way now that I have some things figured out. However, the thought of making all of those parts again gives me pause. I really want to get Bob's to him, and have considered giving this one and making mine even better LOL. IDK, gotta sleep on it.
1000011511.jpg
1000011510.jpg
1000011509.jpg
1000011506.jpg
1000011505.jpg
1000011504.jpg
1000011503.jpg
1000011502.jpg

Back