• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT International Scout II

Greg Kimsey

Y'all probably know my friend Bob by now. He can't build models anymore because of Parkinsons so I build them for him. He gave me free rein on this International Harvester Scout 4x4. It is a vehicle from his childhood, but doesn't remember much about it except his daddy had one, so he is fine with whatever I do to it.
1000010459.jpg
1000010460.jpg
1000010461.jpg

Instructions say there are 53 parts, but I think that is an exaggeration.
1000010453.jpg
1000010458.jpg

This is what I want it to look like
1000010495.jpg
1000010504.jpg
1000010500.jpg

So, with that engine photo as reference I am making changes to the engine.
Moving the cooling hose mount over:
1000010474.jpg

And changinging the shape to match the hose mount:
1000010509.jpg

I made a new distributor:
1000010475.jpg

And will wire it later.

I cut the belt off of the pully assembly and with use electricians tape for the new belt. The engine photo has a difficult looking alternator so I simplified it and the mounting plate just a little:

1000010476.jpg

That is it so far. I need to get everything into the spray booth for priming.

FYI, I am opening the doors on this. I thought about the tailgate but am afraid I don't know how to do that one. Right now I am filling in the voids between the door skin and the interior panel. I made a little paper jig to fit, then cut syrene using it as a guide. I will need to watch the YT video again to refresh my memory on hinging.
1000010520.jpg
1000010521.jpg

No suggestions but with the aftermarket out there autos you'd think you can find something.

Guys, I want you to know I would LOVE to be at this guys level, but I will never ever spend 700 hours on a single model, no matter how mind blowing it turns out. It is a long video, but fascinating! Enjoy.

Turns out what I thought was the alternator (because that's where it was on the pulley assy) is actually the A/C. So...I made the AC pump.
1000010529.jpg

The alternator is on the other side of the engine. So I made a new design for that...
I will make a double pulley for the other two pulleys
1000010527.jpg

More to come. Gonna try to make the brake booster now.

I have doubled the lower pulley. I still need to do the upper one you see laying on the table...
1000010532.jpg

I made a spacer and new mounting bracket for the A/C to align with the outer pulley...
1000010531.jpg

Lastly, I made a vaccuum hose cap for the breather and the hose will connect to the carb (which wasn't on the engine, it just had a square blob for the breather to sit upon)...
1000010530.jpg

I have a selection of carburators and selected this one which was the same height as the blob. I cut the alignment tab off of the blob and glued to the new carb. I will drill a hole for the vaccuum hose...
1000010534.jpg

"Guys, I want you to know I would LOVE to be at this guys level, but I will never ever spend 700 hours on a single model"

Maybe he is just a bit slow ? :)
Maybe! Who wouldn't love to have a gold and nickle plate machine for models for goodness sake. And mill yiur own parts? That would totally be me if money was easier to come by.

I'm shocked. No wiring harness for the blower motor? :lol:
This kit looks a lot like the old ERTL tooling of the Scout II.

I have the mill and a lathe with access to plating. Nope wouldn't take things to that level on a car model. In looking at the video I could see quite a bit of small flaws in the mods he did. The biggest was the sloppy paint on the coil he made that showed in one of his book photos. Another was the edges of one of the doors were not all that crisp.
As the guy said in the video when he was talking about another builder and himself critiquing each others models you have to be nit picky to the extreme.
If you are going to build to that level and make those mods you have to do the mods to a higher level. He did a lot of mods, but they were not as crisp as they could have been.
On the other hand how many people would even do that level of modding, and that is where I think the difference comes in.

I'm shocked. No wiring harness for the blower motor? :lol:
This kit looks a lot like the old ERTL tooling of the Scout II.
🙄 bv v. No wiring harness YET! It will have wire AND hoses kind sir 🤓
As for ERTL, the kit says AMT but it was originally produced by ERTL in 1976.

I made the mounting bracket for the alternator. After looking at the photo I am not thrilled with the adjustable bracket on the right. I may attempt one out of metal. Detail master has some but was trying to make it on my own.
1000010554.jpg

Back