• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My Buddy Lewis Pruneau Part 01

I ended up here after a row that happened at a site that specializes in big airplanes. Some of the "people" there were just rude and as you said critical but not constructive at all. I made one post with photos on a build. The 2 or 3 bad eggs angered me so much that it turned into a row and I was banned. I took down the photos off of photobucket and told them to shove it.

Came here, where I was already a member, posted the same photos and asked a couple of questions about them. Had some good constructive critiques from ChuckW and SADave if I remember correctly. Have not really gone anywhere else since.

I feel that there are quite a number of people on here that are good friends and appreciate everyone here. It has made my hobby much richer for it.

I ended up here after a row that happened at a site that specializes in big airplanes. Some of the "people" there were just rude and as you said critical but not constructive at all. I made one post with photos on a build. The 2 or 3 bad eggs angered me so much that it turned into a row and I was banned. I took down the photos off of photobucket and told them to shove it.

Came here, where I was already a member, posted the same photos and asked a couple of questions about them. Had some good constructive critiques from ChuckW and SADave if I remember correctly. Have not really gone anywhere else since.

I feel that there are quite a number of people on here that are good friends and appreciate everyone here. It has made my hobby much richer for it.
You know Paul,

I've always felt that when people say this group or that club is full of fantastic, wonderful people, it kinda sounds phony to me. We know people are people and they come in all types. But, I'll say this anyway. I have never been in any club or group with a better bunch of guys. It's like MA has this contagious thing, even if someone has a tendency towards that syndrome, this website seems to smooth out their edginess. I love posting here and reading what people post as well. If I'm not the member that has been here the longest, I must be close to it. The only one I can remember being here as long as I have been would be Saul. It has always been friendly and constructive, and the rare ones who don't comply, Master Britt seems to usher them out quietly! I feel lucky to have found modelersalliance.org! I hope it never changes!

I think its just a human trait, Some people want to be politicians, Generals, Captains of industry or just leaders in their field.
These people can usually spot what they perceive as competition to their position in an imaginary pecking order from a1000yds.
The problem is social media allows them to attack in defence of their position from behind a computer screen and from that position of anonymity a life time of morals, scruples, upbringing and common decency can be cast aside in an instant.
The solution is not to engage but to move on and eventually you will find a group of like minded people where their really isn't a pecking order. Maybe its an age thing ? I wouldn't mind betting that the kid 40 years ago, lying on the floor in the shop having a screaming fit because he couldn't have what he wanted is now an "Elite" on some modelling site somewhere....

The gospel according to Paddy 21/3/21 :cool:

I think its just a human trait, Some people want to be politicians, Generals, Captains of industry or just leaders in their field.
These people can usually spot what they perceive as competition to their position in an imaginary pecking order from a1000yds.
The problem is social media allows them to attack in defence of their position from behind a computer screen and from that position of anonymity a life time of morals, scruples, upbringing and common decency can be cast aside in an instant.
The solution is not to engage but to move on and eventually you will find a group of like minded people where their really isn't a pecking order. Maybe its an age thing ? I wouldn't mind betting that the kid 40 years ago, lying on the floor in the shop having a screaming fit because he couldn't have what he wanted is now an "Elite" on some modelling site somewhere....

Couldn't have said it better myself Paddy!!!!!

It's like MA has this contagious thing, even if someone has a tendency towards that syndrome, this website seems to smooth out their edginess... If I'm not the member that has been here the longest, I must be close to it. The only one I can remember being here as long as I have been would be Saul.
Well, on some other sites, some people consider me a rectal orifice for the way I go after them for not trying to clear up myths and bad information! :D
I am diplomatic about it but they simply don't want to learn and I lose my patience sometimes. Yet, it has NOT happened here.
Preach on!

Regards,

Well, on some other sites, some people consider me a rectal orifice for the way I go after them for not trying to clear up myths and bad information! :D
I am diplomatic about it but they simply don't want to learn and I lose my patience sometimes. Yet, it has NOT happened here.

Preach on!

Regards,
Saul, If it has, I haven't heard it yet! Your vast knowledge banks about so many things, I consider an asset to the website and I know others feel the same! You're our information overload dude! :notworthy Keep on keeping' on!

Lewis is definitely in a category all by himself, and in many different ways! I'll pass on your words to him. He does remember you as he has mentioned your workshop diorama setting in my museum several times! Can you believe that Mastercon was almost 30 years ago? I'll always remember you coming all the way from Australia as a young and very passionate modeler. Something told me at the time, you would go on to make a profession out of it and you have! You have truly became a master in your own right! Keep watching these threads about Lewis, I have several more on the way!
Thanks Bob, 30 years ago and it was a long way there and back but worth every minute. I had a great time in the US and even managed to meet a friend of mine in LA and did the tourist thing for 3 days. Model making is a lifestyle for many of us on this site. It not only allows you to build and paint but learn about history every time you 'crack open' another kit or read another post by a MA member. The community sprit on this site is the cream on the cake. What a great hobby to have for life!

Thanks Bob, 30 years ago and it was a long way there and back but worth every minute. I had a great time in the US and even managed to meet a friend of mine in LA and did the tourist thing for 3 days. Model making is a lifestyle for many of us on this site. It not only allows you to build and paint but learn about history every time you 'crack open' another kit or read another post by a MA member. The community sprit on this site is the cream on the cake. What a great hobby to have for life!
I couldn't agree more Ian!!!

WOW but those bring back memories. I've never been to one of the big contests and very few small ones so have never had a chance to see some of the works of art except by magazine or the web. I was blown away when I read the new FSM magazine and saw these incredible vignettes and dioramas. Thanks for showing these pictures. As for elites, well thats probably why I dont bother going to shows. They suck all the fun out of modeling with their superiority.
James

Glad you liked it James! I have always wondered why there are people out there that like to slam others. No sense thinking about it, they are there and there they will stay.They must not be very happy people.

Paul, I think you misunderstood what I was describing. The "elites" I am speaking of situate themselves in a group or club and manipulate their way until they are kings of what they consider their domain. And that anybody who begins to overshadow them in any way, even innocently, are regarded as the enemy. They feel it is their sworn duty to crush them in any way possible. And, they can be vicious. I've seen so many potentially great modelers run off by those jerks before they even had a chance to reach their potential. They tried it with Lewis and failed miserably. The Internet makes it even more possible for people to be that way as it is never a face to face situation and they don't have to fear getting their lights punched out. When I became a member of this website way back in 2007, it was a first time thing for me. I had browsed the internet and had seen the flame wars going on at all of them. They were really cutthroat back then and I wanted no part of any of them.

The members of this site are helpful and they offer helpful and constructive criticism like yourself. They are polar opposites of the people of which I was speaking! I could name websites that are still active that I wouldn't post on for all the tea in China, and I'm betting many of our members knew exactly what I am talking about. Although a few do, the majority of those folks never build anything or contribute anything, they just attack and criticize. Moon Puppy keeps those guys in check because they hurt any website they are on. They have always reminded me of little, cowardly, petty dictators.
This right here is what is the biggest turn-off in the hobby, and one of the reasons I tend to do my own thing, generally avoid clubs and most shows.

What Bob describes as elites are the root of totalitarianism, and the bane of good business managers everywhere. The best managers will see a person with those tendencies and root them out or make some effort to get them to see the light. Poor managers will promote them. They act like a filter, making sure that the capable and effective people under them get nowhere in the organization.

Glad you liked it James! I have always wondered why there are people out there that like to slam others. No sense thinking about it, they are there and there they will stay.They must not be very happy people.
Sad thing is that slamming other people makes them less miserable, if not happy. Other than that, I agree, MA is an awesome bunch. Personally, I joined to learn a thing or two about models and I stayed on because of how supportive and encouraging this lot is. Time at the bench isn't always there, but folks here have always made time to say a kind word when I needed one. Can't ask for more than that.

Never unnoticed - the great effort and skill behind keeping MA running.

Laurence

I've lived 80 years, travelled to so many parts of the world, experienced many different cultures and lived so many different experiences. And in all those years, I have always wondered why there are people out there, of every color, every culture and race, that simply seem to hate and have to throw negatives around rather than do positive things themselves. It actually seems to make them happy! Maybe I'm naive even at this advanced age, but I will never understand how their brains work! Thank God they are always a minority wherever you find them!

Bob, I just found this. Man, that is one fantastic story! Yeah, I could listen for days to all your stories. I also agree with you about those 'elites'. Out here in SoCal, we have another name for them: JNM's which stand for Joyless Modeling Nazis. My only encounter with one at a show actually caused him to stop coming to meetings or shows because of the challenge I gave him. In essence: after criticizing my model and subsequently me as a poor modeler; I told him. "Okay, since you are quite the masterful expert here; please build this same model perfectly so I can see it and learn from the best." He snorted and walked away. Every time I saw him after that I asked him, "Are you done yet, I really want to see this so I can improve." He would walk away and eventually he was running away and even fighting to avoid me until he simply stopped coming to any shows. I had quite a lot of modelers thank me for "convincing" him to stay away. LOL!

I don't know that Lewis would be interested as his interests are in larger scales, but if you wish to send him copies of the latest posting of my entire armor collection, feel free. If anything, I'm sure he'd get quite the laugh out of it. :bigrin:

Looking for the second installment here. This is gonna be great!

I do like me a good story! I had several "Model Heroes" that I looked up to when my folks split up.
Lewis, Bob Steinbrunn, Paul Boyer, Shep Paine. That other Bob guy. Story teller. Makes amazing dioramas too. His last name escapes me. :facepalm:
I had hoped to meet all of them at some point and just bullshit about modeling for a bit. Learn something new?

Lewis was most affable when I met him the one time. I marveled at his dioramas as a much younger child. Well, still!

Bob Steinbrunn is a heck of a nice man, for an aging egg-beater driver.

Paul Boyer didn't have one word or second to share. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Shep Paine left this Earth before I had a chance to button-hole him. My loss to be sure.
All you men had a huge impact on a 12-year-old "Man of the House" that scrimped to buy Monogram models of every sort and build them badly, but loved putting models together.
YES!! YES!! More stories! I enjoy finding out how you "Giants of the Hobby" do it!! :notworthy

I cain't abide the Know-It-All guys that never make a mistake or never share a "trick". They take the fun out of the hobby.
A friend of mine and I put one over on a couple of KIA guys. That is also a very good story. You know how I go on.
Another time perhaps.

Thanks Bob!

You said it yourself Saul "they simply dont want to learn", I am here to do exactly that :cool:
The mind, like a parachute, only works when open. Let us also bear in mind that when you see a post on-line, you see the text, but maybe not the "Context". I am old enough to realize there is still a great deal to learn.
The World is my classroom. Everyone is my teacher. Everyone is my student.
The World is my Playground................:yipee::lol:
Thanks for being my Playmates!

Chris I would love to hear that story! That is gonna rock! I also envy you the chance to meet and talk with all those other guys too. The highlight of my Chattanooga Nationals was spending time with Bob and Bob and Barney and Paul!

Back