• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT International Scout II #2

Greg Kimsey

I had thought to continue the first Scout thread with this second one, but decided to give it its own since I think it is going to be different in many ways.

Follow this link to Scout II#1...https://modelersalliance.org/threads/amt-international-scout-ii.157157/

My plan is to make the hinges far more durable since I think the hinges in the first one are very delicate and will break off easily.

I am using a new way (for me) to make the hinges. Normally folks use a metal rod that fits into a tube, then solder a strip of metal to the section of tube that glues to the model. My soldering is better but still not great so I have started bypassing the tube and make a loop in the metal sheet and wrapping it around the rod so there is no chance of the solder joint failing. I solder the loop closed.
1000011541.jpg

I was going to use the same door hinges as before which were like this.
1000011519.jpg

And after watching some videos I am going with this style of hinge which allows the door to open more closely to the real thing..
1000011542.jpg

The hood detail will be the same as the first one and starts with a tape
1000011520.jpg

template

The rear seat will be hinged a little differently
1000011553.jpg
1000011554.jpg
1000011557.jpg
1000011558.jpg

The doors need filler so I am using various thickness of styrene depending on how strong it needs to be. I had to trim down the inner door panel, which was oddly enough larger than the door panel. The hinged side has .08" styrene into which I will cut slots for the two hinge flaps so it needed to be thicker than the other parts.
1000011568.jpg

That is really all I have so far. Oh, by-the-by, I have ordered a Phrozen 8K Resin 3D printer, so my plan is to try and 3D print the missing engine components! Stay tuned for that.

Here is the body painted and weathered
1000011408.jpg

Attachments

• 1000011520.jpg
    1000011520.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I had a go at putting the metal window trim back onto the doors. I used .08 steel sheet abd cut a thin sliver with industrial scissors. A little over 1mm wide. First I scribed a line in the sheet for the scissors to follow then cut a couple of strips. I measured lengths from the triangle window in the door allowing for overlap. The vertical strip is double layer while the horizontal is a single layer. I soldered each joint. I notched into the plastic where the ends will be attached then superglued the ends in place and clamped. I also thought, "wouldn't it be neat to have the window rolled partly down?", so I cut a short window from .01 clear film. I am not sure you can see it, but it's there.
1000011570.jpg

Back