• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT '67 Mustang Fastback--Completed 05/20

Thanks a bunch you guys.

Well......I knew I was gonna need to have more room topside the engine bay so that the air cleaner wouldn't contact the hood so I got to thinkin..... http://www.spamodeler.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_hmm.GIF . I've got the AMT GT-500 kit in the stash with a good factory scoop on it but the hood wouldn't interchange with the regular Mustang because the nose piece on the GT-350 is longer. So why not just use the scoop? So I went to work and scribed the cut out area that I needed to start removing the scoop from the GT-350 hood.

All cut out and ready for trimming up to the sides of the scoop:

A slight bit of clean up remains but I just sanded up to the sides and the sanded the front from the bottom till I was able to remove the areas right in front of the air intake

A little more clean up and I'll start working this into the hood after I cut out the opening in the Fastback hood for the air cleaner to sit up into.

Another area that got some attention was the door handles. In these times of available AM there was just no room at all for these OOB door handles.

So off they came and after smoothing everything out some....here is the replacement resin handle from Fireball Models. Since I've put effort in elsewhere I saw it only fitting that I shouldn't start skimping now.

Thanks Bob, Chris and Mark!!

Not going to hollow out the scoop on this one Chris. It was pretty tough getting it to behave like it was so I'll be making up for the loss in other areas of the car.

Thank you Sherman, Paul and Martin!!

Paul: Once I found out about these I just couldn't use the OOB stuff anymore.

Finally got some Acapulco Blue on this thing yesterday. Gotta work on smoothing it all out when I feel like it's cured out enough to do so.

Hood scoop is now fully installed and just need a little bit more working in and clean up on that as well:

Thanks Bob!

I hit this with some 2000 grit with light pressure and it sanded right out. Then I hit everything with 12000 grit to get a smooth finish. Gotta sand out the gouge on top of the L/H front fender though, mask off and repaint that one area and then it's off to gloss coating, BMF and decals.

I really should've taken before and after pictures because this was a pretty rough start. The one thing that I can tell all you guys...and I really hope you're reading this closely.....WHEN USING MCW PAINTS *******DO NOT GO FOR A WET COAT WITH THIS STUFF!!!!******** You're guaranteed to have orange peel........and lots of it. Just be patient and get the color coats on by spraying it on lightly. I took my time with the tail light and front clip parts and those turned out perfect......thank GOD!!!

Any how.....here's after 5 hours of work straightening everything out by sanding with 1000, then 2000, then 6000 and finally 12000 grit finishing sandpapers. I burned through the paint at both leading corners of the hood scoop but I can get that back on there pretty easily. Believe me guys.....I've come a LONG way with this in terms of getting everything smoothed out in preparation for the clear coat.

1649353621232.png

1649353656521.png

Back