• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT 1970-1/2 Z/28 Finished-12/30

mustang1989

Well guys…the Mustang build, as much as I hate to say it, had to come to an end. I’ve gotta say that I really enjoyed that build alot. I had been doing alot of pondering about what was next up on the bench and had it all narrowed down to three but couldn’t make my mind up on what I wanted to build out of the three. It was really a source of frustration in a small way because I just couldn’t make a decision. So…to end that I decided not to do ANY of those but to build something that I’ve been wanting to build for a very long time… A 1970 Camaro with a big block in it and a Z-28 side by side. These kits are said to be a very difficult ones to work with but we’ll see what happens. I’m up for the challenge…

These cars hold great interest to me because #1…The Baldwin offering has a big block in it and #2 The 1970 Z-28 was almost my first car…till dad stopped it. Smart guy because I probably would’ve been a grease stain on the highway at an early age.

Now on the bench:

Baldwin Camaros are just evil …sporting a 500+ hp 454 and covering the 1/4 mile in the 11 second range. I’ve already got the MCW Forest Green paint for this car.

The real thing:

The Z-28 is a beautiful car as well sporting a 350 small block. Not as nasty as the Baldwin Camaro but still packs a decent wallop. I’ll be going with Cranberry Red for this one and will be turning to MCW for the color.

Stay tuned gang…...I hope to do these two cars the justice they deserve.

There's something aggressive about that spit bumper look. I had a '78 that the previous owner had slipped a Oldsmobile rocket in, transmission and all. That was a fun car.

Isn't it sacrilegious for a Mustang guy to be building a Camaro? Should turn out great though. My wife had a '75 Camaro with a 350 2 barrel. I think it was the worst year for Camaro as far as reliability. Gary S.

Isn't it sacrilegious for a Mustang guy to be building a Camaro? Should turn out great though. My wife had a '75 Camaro with a 350 2 barrel. I think it was the worst year for Camaro as far as reliability. Gary S.
LOL!! I like anything from any given domestic manufacturer that has some class to it. I think 75 may have been the first year for the dreaded Saginaw tranny as well.....or now that I'm thinking about it, it was 76 for that. Yeah...it was...because the Muncie's last year was 75.

Starting on the engine build for the Z-28. Here's the base engine completed. I ordered a couple of MAD pre-wired distributors for both of these cars to cut down on time spent drilling the distributor and putting the wires in. I'm looking for these suckers any day now in the mail.

Base chassis all laid out ready for painting. Actually this aint a bad chassis having quite a number of parts. Per some of the reviews that I've read on these kits , I'll be attaching the front subframe assy at a later stage in the build for ease of assembly.

Last week we were in Hobby Lobby and they had by AMT a 71 Mach I Mustang and a 69 Ford Torino, of which both I owned back in a previous life. The distributor will look great.
Gary S

That Baldwin Motion Camaro is a bad-ass kit! I used to fly a 1970 Torino GT 429/4-speed. I could get to my Seester's house in Omaha in 6 beers!
I have the Pro-Modeler kit, but all you guys know what I am spending my time doing! :bang head

Bob: That's still a good engine!!!

Gary: I may pick that Torino kit up and thanks for the comments bro.

Chris: Thanks man!! 429 / 4 spd........WOW!!! A Pro Modeler Torino kit?? Pics?

All:
I'm slowly making my way back onto forums after what has been a hellacious last few monhs!!! Wife has had some health concerns and work has been terribly busy. Pretty much working like a dog at work all day and then coming home and cooking, cleaning and all the rest of the fun stuff at night. Exhausting to say the least and while I don't miss much bench time, my participation on the forums is what gets dropped in the grease so to speak. Can't wait to get back to my peeps both here and abroad.

I've now got the wheels and tires selected for the Z-28 build. The rear tires will have those big ass GOODYEAR scripts shaved off and some BF Goodrich T/A ones will take their place. This'll be the stance/ look that I'll be going for.

The rear part of the chassis is about 70% finished. Still have to install the rear sway bar, shock mounts and shocks but we're getting there. I had to take a break in the progress and narrow the rear end and arch the springs just a tad to achieve the stance I was looking for in the rear. I merely cut off the axle ends, shaved each end of the axle back about 3/16" , drilled holes in the axle and in the axle mounting ends and pinned them back to the axle. I've already done a test run and the wheel/ tire assemblies are right where I want em now.

OjWhV4.jpg

I've now got the wheels and tires selected for the Z-28 build. The rear tires will have those big ass GOODYEAR scripts shaved off and some BF Goodrich T/A ones will take their place. This'll be the stance/ look that I'll be going for.

The rear part of the chassis is about 70% finished. Still have to install the rear sway bar, shock mounts and shocks but we're getting there. I had to take a break in the progress and narrow the rear end and arch the springs just a tad to achieve the stance I was looking for in the rear. I merely cut off the axle ends, shaved each end of the axle back about 3/16" , drilled holes in the axle and in the axle mounting ends and pinned them back to the axle. I've already done a test run and the wheel/ tire assemblies are right where I want em now.

OjWhV4.jpg
No muffler? That thing is going to be loud! :burnout

One of the shortcomings of this kit is in the exhaust area. First off, there's LOTS of clean up to do, more so on this kit than most any other of the models I've built in the past.

After that is the issue of the position of the tail pipe when it's all installed onto the vehicle and the fact that I'm not a big fan of square cut exhaust pipes exiting any give car.

OOB exhaust: (Note: the tires will be re-positioned in the wheel opening so I'm still working on that) This crazy right??

After tweaking the exhaust mounting points and bending the pipes to where I wanted them to exit the car (and adding my bevel cuts to the tail pipes and hollowing them out). That's MUCH better.

I still have some adjustments I'll make later on in regards to the final locations of each pipe but this is the preliminary result:

Crazy? Who said "Crazy"?
Why are there bars on my windows? :frantic:
This whole room is REALLY comfy! :silly:
I cain't move my arms..............:wow:
The sea monkey has my money.......:lol:

Back