• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"

mustang1989

I've been working on a pair of 1970-1/2 Camaros for the last couple of months. I just finished my Z/28 version and was just about to get started on the Baldwin Motion Camaro when I found out that a good friend of mine at work was going to retire in late November. He owns a 2017 Camaro "Fiftieth" Edition and I thought I'd build him a going away present. It's rare when I do this as I always tend to feel under the gun of a time frame in which to get a build finished in a timely manner.

In any case, Here's the kit.

oqjqYS.jpg

I already know this; It's an AMT kit so I'm going to have to address........if you guessed it....you're right....the ride height of the whole car.

Buddy of mine has one, drives it like he hates it. First thing I noticed is the length of the hood when viewed from such a low seating angle is it’s hard to judge near distances in front of the car.
second thing I noticed is you step up getting out of it! And no… not onto the sidewalk!
third thing I noticed (ok not in this order) is the urge to crap yourself when the driver drives like he hates the car

Chevrolet almost had it with the Camaro re-issue. If they had gone 30% more Z-28 and 30% less Corvette they would have had a winner!
Otherwise, its just a less expensive Corvette in-bread. :sick:
I understand you can buy the newer Camaro (if you are a Girly-Man) with a 6-cylinder engine and an automatic transmission.

I isn't just Chevy. Highway Patrol cruiser with 4 doors. Gran Fury. NOT Charger. No previous Charger ever had more than 2 doors. Having screwed the pooch with Charger, Chrysler came back with Challenger. This car they did right, but will NOT be forgiven for the Charger debacle.

Ford's re-pro Mustang started out very well, but becomes more and more Transformer-esque every year. A little less spaceship and a little more Pony Car, if you please. Have you seen the new Maverick? I nearly choked. I liked the Ford GT at first. GT-40 it ain't.

The Toyota Supra is back too. Built in a joint venture with BMW, Toyota has stuck a time honored moniker on this Axis sports machine.
Another VERY expensive turd.

I'm going down south and buy every 1984-86 Supra body I can find with 3 spoilers and start building REAL Kamikaze driving machines. Manual transmissions. Put your phones down when you drive.

Thanks you guys.

Chris, the only thing I know to say on that whole Charger deal is that the manufacturers are trying to make the Charger available to anyone who wants one. I still like 'em and all but now families can have one if they want which in turn, captivates a larger audience. Funny thing thins that get done in the name of money. lol

Back on the Camaro note, It looks like Camaro does have a Z/28 package available.

1672754770147.png

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has one, drives it like he hates it. First thing I noticed is the length of the hood when viewed from such a low seating angle is it’s hard to judge near distances in front of the car.
second thing I noticed is you step up getting out of it! And no… not onto the sidewalk!
third thing I noticed (ok not in this order) is the urge to crap yourself when the driver drives like he hates the car
These things are indeed pretty low to the ground. Reminds me of the older Vettes (86-around 97) where one had to step up over the wall of the interior to get out onto the pavement/ ground. Crazy.

I sat in one of those things, had to roll out onto the ground. Guess I've evolved into a truck guy.

:popcorn
try a Lotus bob. Its physically imposable for anyone over 6ft to get in one of those., i tried kneeling down and going in head first then rolling over but couldn't get my knees in. Gave up. why does a manufacturer go to all the expense of building and marketing a new car and build in a design fault that limits at least 50% of the potential market ? :mad:

Joe: That Camaro 50th turned out really nice. I didn't know that you were on this site as well as agape. Very cool to see a familiar name amid all the others here. Again, that is very well done. Happy New Year my friend.

Dave Wahl

try a Lotus bob. Its physically imposable for anyone over 6ft to get in one of those., i tried kneeling down and going in head first then rolling over but couldn't get my knees in. Gave up. why does a manufacturer go to all the expense of building and marketing a new car and build in a design fault that limits at least 50% of the potential market ? :mad:
It's not accessibility that knocks me out of that car. Price is the major one but you'll never see a Lotus on the dirt roads we have around here. :rotf

I started on one of my favorite parts, the engine. This stuff from Vallejo is REALLY good. OMG it sprays on like a frickin' dream!!

It does spray good...until it gets old, then it sprays really really bad, imagine if you will, trying to shoot silver snot through an airbrush. I don't know when it goes from shooting great with great coverage to turning into the paint equivalent of a teenager with an attitude but it does.

This one's definitely out of my comfort zone. I'm used to anything from the 40's through around the 90's at the latest and that's pushin' it. I'm old school for sure.....kind of a "Brutus vs. Geeky" approach to hot rodding.

Engine is pretty much finished up on this one aside from some minor touch ups. It's all OOB except for the AC Delco decal on the oil filter. Couldn't help myself....just had to add it.

WpGRDd.jpg

jopK4R.jpg

wsQ5dG.jpg

5jrMWY.jpg

Thanks for the comments & "likes" Bob and the "likes" Chris and Brian!!

The only chrome parts in the whole kit were the wheels and these aren't supposed to be chrome. They are more of a silver with a contrasting darker color used for the inlay areas of the wheel.

0WHVTl.jpg

So I went to work by stripping all of the chrome off of the wheels and cleaning them up.

6R7q85.jpg

Here they are finished up. One of the problems with silver is that any leftover flash at all will show up in pictures. In real life you've really gotta be looking to see it. I used Vallejo Silver for the wheels and shaded the darker areas with ground up black pastel. Just didn't feel comfortable painting the inlay areas. I then put a dot of Molotow Chrome on the lugnuts and then used a toothpick to apply MM Chrome Silver to the Bowtie emblem in the middle of each wheel.

h5HHX0.jpg

Thanks you guys.

Chris, the only thing I know to say on that whole Charger deal is that the manufacturers are trying to make the Charger available to anyone who wants one. I still like 'em and all but now families can have one if they want which in turn, captivates a larger audience. Funny thing thins that get done in the name of money. lol

Back on the Camaro note, It looks like Camaro does have a Z/28 package available.

View attachment 155984
Last vehicle on worked deleoping in GM engineering when it first came out. I then went to Toyota.

If I remember correctly the wheels are a kind of milled aluminum (definitely not chrome) with a clear coat overtop and a painted accent color on the insides…?

Back