• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy Mig 21 MF 1/48

Thanks folks!

I think it might have been some mold release agent...I thought I had washed the parts quite well though :idonno

Got a chance to get back at this...

added the pitot tube and other thingy.. (I'll probably regret this)

These 2 little stabilizers that I forgot to add earlier. Will have to paint them!

and got the gear doors on and touched up the blue/grey paint on the fuselage!

Thanks guys!

Got the camo on over the last couple nights. Did the brown free hand after I grew silly (tired) of trying to use Silly Putty :gogo

Did run into 1 issue though, the blue/grey paint peeled a bit when I removed my masks! Haven't had this happen in about 5 years!

:bang head

I'll have to do a bit of touch up before moving on....almost finished though!

Gorgeous work! I wouldn't sweat the underside paint peeling up, it could be made to appear as a repair!

Thanks folks!

I think it might have been some mold release agent...I thought I had washed the parts quite well though :idonno

Got a chance to get back at this...

added the pitot tube and other thingy.. (I'll probably regret this)

These 2 little stabilizers that I forgot to add earlier. Will have to paint them!

and got the gear doors on and touched up the blue/grey paint on the fuselage!

Yep, a very aggressive looking pitot, of course it wouldn't be Ruskin' if it wasn't...

Looks great Warren. :pilot

Thank you gentlemen!

still at this! Been painting up the wheels and rockets, still have a bit of work to do on them..

Also, got the decals on today and touched up a few spots on the main body. I added the last three small antennas too!

The decals were fine and they laid down well with some Micro sol and set. I only had trouble with one star on the bottom that a small piece broke off but I was able to shimmy it back in place.

This was the first time I mixed up a thin light top colour too and sprayed it gently over the decals to blend them in a bit.

Thank you gentlemen!

still at this! Been painting up the wheels and rockets, still have a bit of work to do on them..

Also, got the decals on today and touched up a few spots on the main body. I added the last three small antennas too!

The decals were fine and they laid down well with some Micro sol and set. I only had trouble with one star on the bottom that a small piece broke off but I was able to shimmy it back in place.

This was the first time I mixed up a thin light top colour too and sprayed it gently over the decals to blend them in a bit.

I am thinking you meant to say clear coat ? ? ?

Regards, Christian B)

Regards, Christian B)

hey Christian,

No, I did mix a thin coat of the light brown tan colour and just misted it over the decals. I think I've seen someone on here do that (maybe Micheal C??) or read about it somewhere. It made them look a little worn.

I should have taken pics before and after!

Well folks, this one is done finally! On to finish the Piaggio!

I got the wheels, missiles and last few parts on, gave it another clear coat, then a wash of dark grey followed by a flat coat!

The canopies didn't come out exactly as I had envisioned but overall I'm happy!

Regards, Christian B)

hey Christian,

No, I did mix a thin coat of the light brown tan colour and just misted it over the decals. I think I've seen someone on here do that (maybe Micheal C??) or read about it somewhere. It made them look a little worn.

I should have taken pics before and after!

OK, it's hard to tell from the pictures due to lighting conditions changing from one picture to the other.

I tink I can see some evidence of it.

I do that at least on some builds but I can't remember ever sharing it . It definitely cuts down on the contrasting colors. Nice job :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Back