• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy Mig 21 MF 1/48

sharkman

Master at Arms
Haven't been on much lately but was in the hobby store the other day and saw this in the trade-in pile.

I don't usually favour modern jets (with the exception of the A-10 and the F-4) but this one looked kinda cool so I'll throw it into the ring!

It was $14 and came with a very old Eduard PE set.

If you fancy better decals, let me know. Since I only use the sharkmouth schemes and stencils, I have loads to spare.

If interested, send an e-mail to saul AT sharkmouth DOT com but do NOT PM me.

Regards,

I started that kit ....... Very nice ........I guess I need to get back on it oh well I was on another forum ....... Must pull it out and get back on it ........ Fuse done was working on a black box resin pit ........ and the wings ready to go on ..... :eek:ldguy

One thing that bugged me was the landing lights on the kit ..... I wish and might I suggest using shiny aluminum foil inside the light area for the reflector ..... Silver paint sucks ........ :eek:ldguy

Thanks guys!

Saul and Ian, thanks for the offer! I was attracted to the box art though and do like the scheme of black 28 so I'm going to build it as that!

Much appreciated though guys!

One thing that bugged me was the landing lights on the kit ..... I wish and might I suggest using shiny aluminum foil inside the light area for the reflector ..... Silver paint sucks ........ :eek:ldguy

That's a good tip, thanks!

Did these fold down on landing??

Just beware of Academy's decals They can sometimes be as hard as cardboard and twice as dificult to get to lie dow on the model :vmad

Will be :popcorn

I used some super-shiny silver Mylar from a bumper sticker for the rear-view mirror on my Kubel- it's the bomb! I want to start my LanceR soon!

Been a busy month around the house for me but I got a chance to do some work last night and chose this one.

As I mentioned, it came with a very old Eduard PE set, not really meant for this kit so i decided to use it and make a few modifications

I cut down the instrument panel to fit the PE panel

For the wings, I took the advice and added a small piece of aluminum tape behind the landing lights. this kit also has some nasty sink holes in the gear bays that need filling

and got the 32 rocket pods and drop tank assembled!

I need to find that cool russian blue-green colour for the pit!

Yes, I have the Squadron walk around on this one ... Ifigured that out after I had glued wings together ... plus I read the book later ... :pilot

I need to find that cool russian blue-green colour for the pit!

Xtracolour X629 'Soviet interior blue/green'

h7be0f00_2015-06-14.JPG

h31f950e_2015-06-14.JPG

Had mine for over 20yrs and it still sprays perfectly.

Ian.

When I built my Mig 21 I used a custom mix that I found in the Brett Green build. The colors were Gunze Aqueous H46 Emerald Green and Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue, mixed 1:1 it was a perfect match to the pre-painted photo etch in the Eduard kit. Here are the results.

Post13_zpsd315a1dc.jpg

You could also use Gunze's sky blue (H25) in place of Tamiya's if you wanted to. Akan paints also makes a MIG cockpit color. For those not familiar with Akan paints, they are from a Russian company that sort of specializes in Russian colors and has access to the real things. They are acrylic and the spray and brush really well.

Hope this helps!

That paint looks very close to the real thing ( it's been a long time )

I love the Akan paints by the way :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Ian and Mike for those colour tips.

Thanks for the comments folks, Chuk, I'll be watching yours!!!

Back