• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY CAMPAIGN

Will it be Colin Maud with his German Shepard or Kenneth Moore with a bulldog? :popcorn

Neither, I am going for a heavier mood on this one.

h09608cc.jpeg

This started the idea...
h5c52f15.jpeg

With all happiness & respect, I have a model I haven't worked on in a long time! :facepalm Not quite 10 Years. Would it be appropriate to finish it for this thread?

Hey, it takes time to get all the needed parts & ideas in order! :gogo For some of us..............
:drool More than others...........

Hey Doc.S is that Iwo with the dark/blackish sand?
Great Insteraptional photo nonetheless.
:v

I have not been on here for the whole ten years. My first real build was posted starting in August of 2014. It was a 1/32nd scale Ju88 A1 (yeah the Revell kit :good: ) I worked on it for quite a while and made some heavy progress on getting it all detailed out. Eventually it slid to the side and has rested now for quite a while. I believe it is somewhere a little less than halfway done, but I could be wrong on that. I had been doing so much upgrading and adding extra details that who knows where it is.

What I could do is pull this out and do an epic finish on it. My skill have improved a little since it was started and it would be good to finish up something worthwhile. As the old thread has PooterBucket photo links I would probably start a new thread and do a build review of "What has gone before" as the old thread is pretty dated. Since I have all the original photos and posting pages it would serve two purposes. It would let my head get back around what all I had done and what I was planning on doing. It was a decent kit, but had so much that could be added I just kept going.

What do you all think?

A bit of a restart and review? This was one of the postings on some of the work done.

h78701e6.jpg

Thanks Bob! I have been trying to get myself motivated to dig back into shelved projects. While this is an older one, I have several that are VERY old. I should end up with a little bench time here in a week or so. Having surgery on my left thigh again to remove a fatty tumor. Hopefully the doc will do a better job than the last doc in the last surgery. I could be as good as now or have to walk with a cane. Will just have to wait and see.

I am a 7 year M/A vet, just like Paul. I started a couple of models 10 years ago. I am unsure whether they may be relevant to this campaign. I have been advised to post 'em just for the fun of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBR0oNp9A7c

hffe232d.JPG

1/700 waterline AGB-2 USS Carondelet, a Merrimack class auxilary gun boat. Designed for close in shore fire support of troops engaged ashore. Built by Ingalls shipbuilding of Pascagoula MS,
The Merrimack class were intended to support invading US Army & US Marines in Operation Olympic, the invasion of Japan. Powered by diesel engines and the first bow thruster ever, these shallow draft, nimble vessels were packed with targeting radars, fuel & firepower. Their sea-keeping properties were not unlike an ocean going tug.
Few comforts were built in save powered shell hoists and air conditioning systems.
AGB-1, USS Merrimack's (?!?) guns and CIC were manned by members of Virginia's 116th National Guard regiment with Yankee Naval officers in key posts. USS Merrimack was lost off Kerama Retto to enemy air attack in the spring of 1945.
AGB-2 USS Carondelet served with distinction at Okinawa and Iwo Jima. Young Captain Henry Walke III took his little fighting ship in harm's way in support of US Marines ashore in both invasions under command of Admiral Kelly Richmond Turner. 14 AGB's were ordered in anticipation of littoral and river combat in Japan proper.
The US Navy cancelled the ABG contract after the atomic bombing of Nagasaki. the third vessel, USS Cairo was converted to an ocean going salvage vessel.

This 1/700 waterline vessel would have been TLAR Models first resin model kit. If I hadn't built the Master. BFA! LMAO!!

What I have found, as I clean out my model storage room to make space for my Sweetie's work-from-home office is Revell's 1/720 model of DKM Graf Zeppelin. I did start it 10 years ago.

h4c72c6d.JPG

hb9135a9.JPG

Before the Chi-coms ever thought about issuing their 1/700 model. Building the 1/72 RS models "Horrible Heinkel" He-280 V3T put me in mind of the Vessel She might operate from in 1946-47.
If our membership finds my contribution appropriate, I will continue to post Graf Zeppelin. If not, I'm totally OK with your decision.

It's MODELING. Nobody lives or dies for our hobby.

The carrier doesn't appear to be halfway completed, per Bob's previous comment, i'd say it's OK to proceed. Just make sure it's your best work and that you finish on time, please. :good:

Another idea I might attempt...

Whilst cleaning out the back bedroom and digging through some old boxes (some of which had some old Navy stuff in them), I came across an old Monogram CV-63 USS Kitty Hawk (1/600) that was given to me by my parents while our squadron was deploying with her.

The kit is based on an earlier build, as the included air wing is from the Vietnam era. I need to research it a bit more, but I think most of the modifications will be centered around the aerials on the bridge to get it up to '90s standards. I want to do open hangar bays as well, rather then the capped off openings the kits come with (we normally had bay doors open for ventilation while on station, unless we were in GQ). 1/600 aircraft seem to be available on Shapeways...though it will end up being a bit pricey to get the full compliment of aircraft. If I can do a sufficient job on the ship, I can justify to myself it's a worthwhile investment. And if I leave the roof loose, I can spread out the cost of the aircraft rather than buying them all upfront. The kit comes as a full hull, though if I'm modeling w/ a full airwing onboard, I'm inclined to trim the hull and do a water base for it.....which is another area outside my modeling experience/comfort zone.

Decisions, decisions.

Well there's a lot of help around here regarding the water line. I found that modeling past did pretty well for it but I never got around to painting it.

Back