• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Once you get the hull and masts all built and all the plastic installed you are not quite halfway done. I still remember building this beast back in the day with the sails and it was a massive undertaking with the rigging. I personally would not put sails on a ship like this again as they hide so much. I would much rather have it as a Harbor Queen.

Once you get the hull and masts all built and all the plastic installed you are not quite halfway done. I still remember building this beast back in the day with the sails and it was a massive undertaking with the rigging. I personally would not put sails on a ship like this again as they hide so much. I would much rather have it as a Harbor Queen.
I hear ya. It's a tough decision for me as far as sails or no sails.

I hear ya. It's a tough decision for me as far as sails or no sails.
Also if you have the FULL sails it is about twice as wide and almost 3x as wide as the hull. Yeah. I remember this beastie built. It was hard to find a place to put it. My build ended up biting the dust when a cat bumped it off the low shelf it was on. It was given away to a kid (with the instructions to the kit) and he was tickled to get it (even broken) I never knew what he did with it, but it gave him some joy and happiness for a while anyway I am sure.

Looking very good, have built all the Revel ships over time. I found the supplied thread too thick as the rigging progressed up each level of spars and used three different grades of haberdashery thread , each piece pulled through a block of wax to avoid fuzzieness.
The black decking also allows you to painstakingly paint the planks in several randomly applied wood shades and when dry, gently scrape the deck with a Gem razor blade or equivalent to reveal the black outlines to the wood planking. good luck
John Loughman, Bendigo, Australia

Also if you have the FULL sails it is about twice as wide and almost 3x as wide as the hull. Yeah. I remember this beastie built. It was hard to find a place to put it. My build ended up biting the dust when a cat bumped it off the low shelf it was on. It was given away to a kid (with the instructions to the kit) and he was tickled to get it (even broken) I never knew what he did with it, but it gave him some joy and happiness for a while anyway I am sure.
Great story Eagle! My guess is it turned into a pirate ship for that boy, maybe even Black Beard's ☠️

Looking very good, have built all the Revel ships over time. I found the supplied thread too thick as the rigging progressed up each level of spars and used three different grades of haberdashery thread , each piece pulled through a block of wax to avoid fuzzieness.
The black decking also allows you to painstakingly paint the planks in several randomly applied wood shades and when dry, gently scrape the deck with a Gem razor blade or equivalent to reveal the black outlines to the wood planking. good luck
John Loughman, Bendigo, Australia
Hi John. Yep, these old kits can be frustrating, and fun too. There's a ton of time donated to building them, but you know that in the end the kit isn't going to be an accurate representation, and that's ok. For me it brings back the memories of me as a kid watching my dad build it back in '69 or '70.

Okay, I pulled the trigger on ordering replacements from Model Monkey Productions for the kit's spar deck carronades. I'm waiting on them to be made. According to some info 24 of
Screenshot_20211126-175218.png
Screenshot_20211205-132516.png
these 32 pounders was assigned to the ship in 1808.

Nice! Amazing times we're modeling in ain't we?
It sure is Bob. It's good that there's people out there that "have our backs" with such things like the carronades, but it still doesn't bother me one bit to turn belaying pins from toothpicks too 😁👍

Impressive production and delivery from Model Monkey! :good: Shapeways lackadaisically prints and ships in as many weeks.

The fore deck carronades are on as well as the foremast fife rail, and the modified charlie noble. Because some of the kit's belaying pins were broke off I cut all of them away, and drilled new holes in the fife rail. I turned the new pins from brass.
IMG_20211219_161133206-01.jpeg
IMG_20211219_161701447-01.jpeg

Back