• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

The gun deck cannon breech ropes are done.
IMG_20211031_181933885.jpg

That is certainly further than I ever got on mine. I tried the same thing and just could not get them on.

Beautiful job man!

Looks awesome! This build actually had me eyeballing a 1/100 Heller ship (HMS Victory maybe?). Fortunately I came to my senses before I parted ways with my money.

While it would be a spectacular build...it's a massive box to store until I'm ready, and I'm not convinced I've got the skills to do justice to the kit for what it cost (somewhere north of $200). I was only even considering it briefly because I have a $100 gift card to burn and I was kinda hoping to spend it locally. Unfortunately the local Hobbytown doesn't really have much that captures my interest at the moment...so I may just end up ordering a bunch of AM for existing kits I've already got (only have 6 months to use it).

That is certainly further than I ever got on mine. I tried the same thing and just could not get them on.

Beautiful job man!
Thanks Duke. After about the 20th one I got the time down to around five minutes per cannon. It was a learning experience. So, I'm going to take a different approach with the spar deck's cannon. They will be fully rigged.

Looks awesome! This build actually had me eyeballing a 1/100 Heller ship (HMS Victory maybe?). Fortunately I came to my senses before I parted ways with my money.

While it would be a spectacular build...it's a massive box to store until I'm ready, and I'm not convinced I've got the skills to do justice to the kit for what it cost (somewhere north of $200). I was only even considering it briefly because I have a $100 gift card to burn and I was kinda hoping to spend it locally. Unfortunately the local Hobbytown doesn't really have much that captures my interest at the moment...so I may just end up ordering a bunch of AM for existing kits I've already got (only have 6 months to use it).
Thanks Helios. I found out that my better half paid about $200 for this kit after getting into a bid war with several others on Ebay 🤭
I'm feeling the pressure to make this kit build into something that looks like that much...lol.

The Victory kit I mentioned is the 1/100 Heller kit. The local hobby shop took it in as a swap or something such and I had been eyeballing it for a bit. I also had several 1/350 ship kits that I was not ever going to build so I went in and the owner did a swap. The kit I got is going to take some work as the box had gotten rather ratty and there is some warpage on the large parts. Also the vaccuformed sails were toast, but they were probably toast 10 minutes after the box was sealed at the factory. Wayyy too thin and I wouldn't use them anyway. The sails hide too much of the detail in the long run. I expect it will end up being a slog when it gets built, but should be worth it once done.

My intention is to build it along side Letterman when he gets around to his ship.

I visited HMS Warrior in Portsmouth a couple of years back and commented to the official there, where did you find all these guns. Turns out they were fibreglass :) fooled me but did feel a little stupid as i was leaning on one at the time.

dsc00912.jpg

Wow amazing work so far Tim, mine was started many years ago, just the hull and decks are done. Was considering the wooden deck kit, you did an excellent work with the kit ones. Will be following

The Victory kit I mentioned is the 1/100 Heller kit. The local hobby shop took it in as a swap or something such and I had been eyeballing it for a bit. I also had several 1/350 ship kits that I was not ever going to build so I went in and the owner did a swap. The kit I got is going to take some work as the box had gotten rather ratty and there is some warpage on the large parts. Also the vaccuformed sails were toast, but they were probably toast 10 minutes after the box was sealed at the factory. Wayyy too thin and I wouldn't use them anyway. The sails hide too much of the detail in the long run. I expect it will end up being a slog when it gets built, but should be worth it once done.

My intention is to build it along side Letterman when he gets around to his ship.
That's a build I'd love to follow, and it looks like Duke would be in too...nice!
For mine I'm still deciding on sails or no sails. If I do go sails I'm going all the way, stuns'ls and all.

Wow amazing work so far Tim, mine was started many years ago, just the hull and decks are done. Was considering the wooden deck kit, you did an excellent work with the kit ones. Will be following
Thanks! I had to put the gun deck in per the instructions, in three pieces. I didn't like it much though. The spar deck, however, I was able to glue up as one piece. Lots of test fits, sanding, adding styrene filler strips etc..etc. I've decided to paint the spar deck out of the hull, then drop it in place. I thought about the aftermarket deck, but something bothered me about the ones I had seen...even more than the kit's plastic ones...lol.

Back