• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Funny how most people don't realize how work goes into one of these ships. Most impressive!! Gary S. LGB XLV MMXXIV
It's almost like scratch building with this kit...lol., but I'm having the time of my life with it! Heck I'm even eyeing Revell's old Bounty kit...lol.
Thanks Gary.

Ol Conni is looking awesome and is very inspirational to pull out mine and get to carving!

post-1370-0-12533900-1487539271_thumb.jpg

post-1370-0-91881400-1487539291_thumb.jpg

:victory:

Ol Conni is looking awesome and is very inspirational to pull out mine and get to carving!

post-1370-0-12533900-1487539271_thumb.jpg

post-1370-0-91881400-1487539291_thumb.jpg

:victory:
That's a completely different animal you have there errains!
The fact that it's modelled on the current configuration is a plus, with all the photos available of Constitution now there's no guess work. I like the larger scale to. Speaking about scale, I read an interesting article on how Revell, Heller & Airfix came up the scales for their old plastic kits like Constitution, and Victory etc. Basically it was a matter of whether the kits would fit in the company's pre- determined size box. The scale was really just a number to print on the box, and maybe not necessarily accurate. The article said these old kits are more like 1/100 or 1/110. Anyway...whatever.
That's a major project you have there. I estimate it would take me 5 years or so to finish it...lol.

I have the Heller HMS Victory kit, but am nowhere near a point where I want or can start it.
As it is I need to go to the local hobby shop and settle up about some other things going on.

I have the Heller HMS Victory kit, but am nowhere near a point where I want or can start it.
As it is I need to go to the local hobby shop and settle up about some other things going on.
I've read the old 1/100 Heller kit is actually the most accurate of the Victory kits available, as far as hull dimensions, and shape 👍

Back to the ship's boat's.
As you can see from the top boat the hulls lack any kind of detail, so I'm adding a bit. Not near the work that could be done, but I'm pushing 60 years old, and would really like to live long enough to see the whole thing done. I'll be adding the rudders to them as well. I don't know if they were stowed with them on, but I think they'll help jazz up the boats. IMG_20220109_161315895-01.jpeg
IMG_20220109_161315895-01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_161315895.jpg
    IMG_20220109_161315895.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
IMG_20220109_182030870.jpg
The kit's brown boat interiors sit on top of the hulls, and I didn't like that. I sanded around the edges of the inserts enough so they fit into the hull. Overall I'm pleased enough with how the boats will look.
Most builds of this model I see show the inside of hull white. Mine will be painted natural wood.

Oh yes the ships boats care coming out really nice. good call on refitting that top section.
:good:

Are both parts of the boats plastic? I accidently bought the set of metal bits from Revell's CSS Alabama. The white metal boats have no interior detail. These look very boat-like! :good:

Back