• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Tim A.

Revell's classic 1/96 scale version of USS Constitution. This will be my third experience with the kit. The first was watching my dad build his. As a boy, I was barely able to see above the table's edge. In my thirty's I tried one on my own. I didn't get far with that attempt. Now in my late 50's I'm visiting this legendary kit...again.
Despite the out dated quality of the molding, with some care, a lot of filing, sanding, and a few tricks the kit can really be built into a nice model.
Beginning pics to come...

First things first. The hull is to thin for scale thickness. Which is noticable at the gun port openings. I added the thickness to the gun deck walls with styrene strip before glueing the hull halves together. Constitution's hull thickness here was/is almost two ft.
Some of the mods I'm doing on this build will never be noticed. The model will be a waterline display under full sail. with the studding sails I'm guessing the case will be at least a couple ft wide. Nobody will really be any closer than three ft when looking at it. So, the extra work won't be seen, but it will be there.
IMG_20210207_093641407.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to insert the picture after attaching, pick full size or thumbnails. I fixed it for you.

According to some reading the forward most cannon ports where added after the War Of 1812. Most experts say they were impractical to use, and the ports remained closed on them most of the time. I chose to bring it back to the 1812 period. I filled the ports in with styrene.
DSC_0017_3-01.jpeg

While on the gun ports. The kit has the hinged one piece port covers. Some say there were actually no hinged port covers on Constitution in the early years, using covers that were removed instead. Since it was common for these ships to cruise with the guns ran out most of the time the covers stayed stowed on deck. I used bits of styrene, and putty to fill the hinge points on the kit.
DSC_0015_2-04.jpeg

I built one back in my teens with full sail for some friends of my parents. It was ridiculous how much space it takes with all the sails. This was back when they still had the smooth vac formed sails. It took a nose dive off a high shelf due to a cat many years later.
Then years later I picked up the kit again, but this time they had the damn burlap texture to the sails and they looked like crap. I had intended to build it with no sails where you could actually see the boat and rigging, but gave the kit to my brother as he was interested in it.
Have been pondering picking up the old Heller 1/100 scale HMS Victory, but would probably never get around to building it. Have to choose your battles (builds).

Interesting the extra thickness to the hull, I never knew that. I will be following this with interest.

I built one back in my teens with full sail for some friends of my parents. It was ridiculous how much space it takes with all the sails. This was back when they still had the smooth vac formed sails. It took a nose dive off a high shelf due to a cat many years later.
Then years later I picked up the kit again, but this time they had the damn burlap texture to the sails and they looked like crap. I had intended to build it with no sails where you could actually see the boat and rigging, but gave the kit to my brother as he was interested in it.
Have been pondering picking up the old Heller 1/100 scale HMS Victory, but would probably never get around to building it. Have to choose your battles (builds).

Interesting the extra thickness to the hull, I never knew that. I will be following this with interest.
I think this is that one kit that a lot of us have done or attempted more than once over the years. The sails in my kit aren't the burlap looking ones, but they didn't fair to well over the years. Some are crushed, and split. I'm looking for a replacement plastic set.

The hull haves could finally be glued up. Lots of sanding required to get the to halves to look like one. The only painting done so far is on the gun deck. I'll mask it when I paint the hull and inner gun deck walls. On the real ship the decks took a lot of abuse. I read that the decks were scrubbed daily with soft stones. This plank scrubbing was called "Holy stoning" it left the oak planks looking bleached out.
IMG_20210622_070419395-01.jpeg

Not following the instructions steps in order. To keep the build interesting for me I'm going to be jumping around with the construction.
Here's the basic bowsprit with the jib boom, and flying jib boom. The kit supplied plastic jib boom, and flying jib boom are to flimsy. They will have tension from the rigging lines on them. I replaced the two booms with ones I made from bass wood. They're much stronger. Notice the flying jib boom is actually off set to the side of the jib boom.
IMG_20210622_070550898.jpg

Last edited:
Back