• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

A clean, tidy suitably Navy-like build! The Grand Ol' Lady is coming along very nicely! :good:
My Dad and I visited the Pirate Museum at Freeport, Grand Bahama island. Their ornate 9-pound guns were plastic as well.
They were "Single use only" rather than standard Royal Navy cannons.

Glueing in the spar deck. It could've went better, but it could've went way worse as well.
I went with the color green for the coaming. Whether they were green in 1812 nobody knows. The 1815 model, built by the crew who served on her, painted them green. I figure if anybody would know they would?
IMG_20211113_175821405.jpg

IMG_20211114_102807519.jpg
IMG_20211114_102924762.jpg
Clamps removed. Overall I'm pleased with the fit of the spar deck to the hull. It's not even close to fitting like this out of the box folks! At least mine wasn't anyway.
For my deck the"wood" was airbrushed with a pre shade of black, then a coat of AV Flat Earth, and highlighted with AV Camouflage Brown.

Spent the afternoon reworking the capstan (not painted yet) Since I don't have captain Hull off the sprue yet, I've sent the captain of the Cutty Sark back in time to oversee construction.
IMG_20211114_181928376.jpg

I'm back at the bench from taking a week off to get married😘.
Got the ship's boat's chocks on, the ship's helm, that my bride calls the "wagon wheels"...🤭, and I finished the capstan. The capstan I reworked because it was cast with the spar poles in place. Unless the crew was in the process of using the capstan the poles would be stowed.
IMG_20211120_105909500.jpg
IMG_20211120_105739975.jpg

To get a break from the spar deck carronades, I decided to temporarily put up the mast's. I already had the lower one's done so that I could adjust the mast's rake. On the real one all
IMG_20211121_173545364.jpg
IMG_20211121_173505391.jpg
three mast's had a different rake from one another, and I'm obsessing a bit to getting them right. I have the Fore Top, and the Top Main masts, along with the fighting tops just sitting there for drill. The Top Gallants will push up even higher.

Back