• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS TEXAS build.

Tim A.

Trumpeter's 1/350 USS Texas caught my eye for a couple of reasons. It will serve as a good project to get away from my on going USS Constitution build, and it's smaller, and more manageable on my limited sized workbench than the large scale sailing ship models.
The Texas, which is still around is the last of the Dreadnoughts, or sometimes called the "Super Dreadnoughts. The Battleship served in both world wars, and is probably best known for its action at Omaha Beach during the D-Day landing. When the Germans moved farther inland the main guns of the Texas did'nt have the elevation to reach their positions. The captain ordered one of the torpedo blisters flooded, which listed the ship enough to increase the 14 inch guns angle, allowing the Texas to effectively continue to
20231124_174442.jpg
pound away.

There's a lot of videos of the restoration that is underway, I'm sure you've seen it Tim. what era are you going for?

Looking over the many photographs of the Texas. Here's a couple of interesting ones...yes that's Steve McQueen on deck. The other is testing new main gun accuracy technology.
Screenshot_20231127_202214_Google.jpg
FB_IMG_1700759439172.jpg

Check out that detail, got the handles for the doors/hatches. I know that's not the real nautical term for those things. @Rhino enlighten us here.

Check out that detail, got the handles for the doors/hatches. I know that's not the real nautical term for those things. @Rhino enlighten us here.
Please do Rhino. I'm at a loss of what some of the parts & pieces are called that make up these modern steel battle wagons.

modern steel battle wagons.
:rotf
She's 110 years old.
But you're right, when I was able to check out Sentimental Journey I noticed that the bomb racks and release mechanisms was the same as the conventional hardware for the B52 racks.

:rotf
She's 110 years old.
But you're right, when I was able to check out Sentimental Journey I noticed that the bomb racks and release mechanisms was the same as the conventional hardware for the B52 racks.
I'm looking at the two hawse line holes on the bow of this thing wondering how I'm supposed to poop through those things 🤔...haha.

I just ordered this for a young (21 year old) customer who is a walking WWII encyclopedia. I will suggest your thread to him. His name is Cole Burge if he checks in. Nice kid.
You said you are 60 and this is your first battleship. I am 59 and have the Might Mo waiting in the wings to build when I finish the Woody Wagon and it will be my first ship of any kind. What is wrong with us?!

Once I finish with the Ju87A I am intending on getting back on to the 1/200 Arizona. There is SO MUCH WRONG with that kit! It is fixable, but dang! Pick up a new assembly and redo half of it to get it to match the photos.

I just ordered this for a young (21 year old) customer who is a walking WWII encyclopedia. I will suggest your thread to him. His name is Cole Burge if he checks in. Nice kid.
You said you are 60 and this is your first battleship. I am 59 and have the Might Mo waiting in the wings to build when I finish the Woody Wagon and it will be my first ship of any kind. What is wrong with us?!
Right?! I'm not sure why I've never felt the urge to build WWII ship's before now...late bloomer maybe...haha.
Glad Cole is interested in the Texas.
So far the kit is pretty good, just some minor stuff to watch out for.

Last edited:
Once I finish with the Ju87A I am intending on getting back on to the 1/200 Arizona. There is SO MUCH WRONG with that kit! It is fixable, but dang! Pick up a new assembly and redo half of it to get it to match the photos.
I'm sure the Texas kit could be improved as well. The only thing that is obvious with the Trumpeter Texas kit is the blister steel plate seams are to pronounced, but I'm just going with it. The only thing I've added to the model that's not part of the kit is the welded on padeye to the keel at the bow. The dry dock walk around of the real ship described that only a hand full of the warships had them, Texas was one of them.

I wondered about the torpedo blisters on that kit. I really wonder about the folks that work at Trumpeter. It seems that a lot of their kits have all kinds of issues. The only one I have heard really good things about is the 1/200 Titanic. They actually went to the Titanic group to have them critque it for accuracy. I guess they figured that it would get the evil eye more than most of their other kits so went the extra mile.

I wondered about the torpedo blisters on that kit. I really wonder about the folks that work at Trumpeter. It seems that a lot of their kits have all kinds of issues. The only one I have heard really good things about is the 1/200 Titanic. They actually went to the Titanic group to have them critque it for accuracy. I guess they figured that it would get the evil eye more than most of their other kits so went the extra mile.
Yeah. The molded detail on the Texas kit is pretty good. As far as accuracy to the real ship? I don't know. I doubt an out of the box build would impress the ones that are familiar with the ship. My goal is to build it straight out of the box, as clean as possible. Put a good Measure 21 paint scheme on it, and get her displayed under glass, along with the piece of the real ship I have in a timely manner.

Back