• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

You can do it!
3D_emoticon_257.gif

Although it may not look like it I've actually been doing quite a bit of work on the ship. Most of it is fixing the fit issues with the kit's parts. I think it'll payoff in the end. Finally painting the hull. I'm airbrushing everything at this stage, so it's masking then masking then more masking. The gun deck white stripe is next. This will require a lot of time spent masking off the gun port openings because they are not painted white.
DSC_0003_6-04.jpeg
DSC_0005_6-01.jpeg

I got this far today. I have to paint the gallery before I can put the window "glass" in. After that I can add the Captain's quarters, which is finished, and ready to glue in. The kit doesn't have the molded copper plating on the rudder for some reason. It was definitely on the real ship. I shot it with the same color as hull plating anyway. This is going to be a waterline display so I didn't get crazy with the plating paint. The pics of the real one in dry dock shows these plates looking more like a bronze color than copper There's a painted? wide waterline
DSC_0001_8~3.JPG
DSC_0007_2~2.JPG
DSC_0005_7~2.JPG
band on the real ship now. The 1812 Isaac Hull model doesn't show a waterline painted stripe. I've added a preventer chain attaching point on the upper part of the rudder, as well as the chain's attaching points on the underside of the gallery.

The parts that make up the little Captain's quarters. I ended up sanding the walls smooth then gluing strips of styrene to give a hint of paneled walls. Decided to add some light sconces to give the place some ambiance. They're tiny.
IMG_20210725_193410596.jpg
IMG_20210725_193455335.jpg

Good Question Bob. My guess is no, but I'm not for sure. I know during a refit Captain Hull had two of the gallery windows in his quarters converted to cannon ports. So either they stayed in there permanently, or something had to go to wheel them in there when needed.

This......................is coming along really nicely!! The one I built in my younger years ended its display career when my dad accidently bumped into it. It was a bummer because even then I put alot of work into it. Will be watching this.

This......................is coming along really nicely!! The one I built in my younger years ended its display career when my dad accidently bumped into it. It was a bummer because even then I put alot of work into it. Will be watching this.
Hate to hear that Mustang. I bet that happened to a lot of these.

Back